Met Office Forecast In The Telegraph

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Total nonesense.

Posted
*Yawn*

"Big Freeze will cripple Britain" As is it reads on the front cover.... Don't they give uP?

"Coldest since 1963" "Sub Zero Tempratures"....  :D   :D   :lol:   :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must be another slow news day. No doubt we will all be having conversations with our friends and family about this in the next week or so...

Posted

here we go again another news tabloid "freak weather brings 70 degrees today but big freeze will cripple britain"coldest since 63"

The met office has warned this could be the coldest winter in 10years with others going for 63 and the forecast is based on the north atlantic ..........so on and so forth!!!!!!!!

Well yes of course it is possible but theres a higher probability of you selling your tabloids when your headlines read as above.

That aside some great pictuers of a snowbound west london skiers and such like , fingers crossed we could see a cold winter despite the unseasonal warmth and according to one of the forecasters 1969 holds one of the records for october warmth and that was followed by a remarkable winter :D

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
here we  go again another news tabloid "freak weather brings 70 degrees today but big freeze will cripple britain"coldest since 63"

The met office has warned this could be the coldest winter in 10years with others going for 63  and the forecast is based on the north atlantic ..........so on and so forth!!!!!!!!

Well yes of course it is possible but theres a higher probability of you selling your tabloids when your headlines read as above.

That aside some great pictuers of a snowbound west london skiers and such like ,  fingers crossed we could see a cold winter despite the unseasonal warmth and according to one of the forecasters 1969 holds one of the records for october warmth and that was followed by a remarkable winter :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I was just reading that article on the train. It has some very vague and unscientific references to the NAO too, saying that it “happened in 1963” and when the “azores pressure dips Britain catches a blast of bitterly cold air” quite amusing really but it suggests that even the journalist doesn’t quite have a handle on the NAO :D

Posted
here we  go again another news tabloid "freak weather brings 70 degrees today but big freeze will cripple britain"coldest since 63"

The met office has warned this could be the coldest winter in 10years with others going for 63  and the forecast is based on the north atlantic ..........so on and so forth!!!!!!!!

That aside some great pictuers of a snowbound west london skiers and such like ,  fingers crossed we could see a cold winter despite the unseasonal warmth and according to one of the forecasters 1969 holds one of the records for october warmth and that was followed by a remarkable winter :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Might have to get hold of a Daily express....just for the pictures :D

That aside, with many shouting "Mild winter ahoy" and many jumping around saying "Deck the halls with negative NOA's....fa-la-la-la-laa, la-la-la-laa", it seems to me that we really have not got clue!

Yes you can say this points to that and vice-versa, but when you think about how many variables we don't take into account, how we can't forecast much beyond week with a high degree of accuracy, combined with even when we do it can change at the drop of a hat.....I say I want a cold winter but we'll get what we are given and have to wait and see.

Besides...we are stil 55 days off the start of winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

It gets better.

WARM AND COLD..

Extract

"And within weeks the UK is expected to be in the grip of an icy blast in preparation for the coldest winter in a decade. Siberian weather fronts are due to arrive by December, plunging the country into a long deep freeze"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=1...-name_page.html

Regards,

John

Edited by John Cox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
It gets better.

WARM AND COLD..

Extract

"And within weeks the UK is expected to be in the grip of an icy blast in preparation for the coldest winter in a decade. Siberian weather fronts are due to arrive by December, plunging the country into a long deep freeze"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=1...-name_page.html

Regards,

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John

Steve MURR mentioned the other day that he is following a forecast that the next real phase of negative NAO is last day of Nov and first week of Dec...maybe thats what they are picking up on. I believe that cold blast will miss us (I believe it will arrive) but only really affect Europe. As I said Dec will be frustrating...so near so far.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That isn't even media exaggeration- that is media make-believe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind
John

Steve MURR mentioned the other day that he is following a forecast that the next real phase of negative NAO is last day of Nov and first week of Dec...maybe thats what they are picking up on.  I believe that cold blast will miss us (I believe it will arrive) but only really affect Europe.  As I said Dec will be frustrating...so near so far.

BFTP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI BFTP/Ian,

Yes I agree,

At this stage this would back up Steve's view

I still think if this does happen even if the cold is only over the continent then it does hold out some hope for the SE of the UK for a possibility of some very cold conditions. It might be so close and not so far that it would eventuallly arrive.

I would prefer see an easterly over some regions than have those short northerly incursions like last year.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Cox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I would advise caution when looking at NAO positive/negative forecasts. Recent winters have seen the NAO forecast to 'go negative' from a particular date. Then nearer the time, as the models come within reliable timeframe, the negative phase is pushed back and shortened dramatically from the original forecast. Usually as a result of our friend the 'toppler'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ian

Caution indeed however this winter will be different. Feb still the month. Dec looks like being wrong side of block

BFTP

Posted

That aside some great pictuers of a snowbound west london skiers and such like ,  fingers crossed we could see a cold winter despite the unseasonal warmth and according to one of the forecasters 1969 holds one of the records for october warmth and that was followed by a remarkable winter :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these headlines are foolish in the extreme. The metoffice and the press will look like fools if it dosnt come off :) I dont think it will unfortunately :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

here we go again another news tabloid "freak weather brings 70 degrees today but big freeze will cripple britain"coldest since 63"

Just heard this on the lunchtime BBC news as well!!! :)

Posted

This is what will happen... Low pressure systems will control our weather until middle december, around xmas time it will become more settled dryer but colder, i think the main hype is not about snow, about temps just being a couple of dregrees below average. it doesnt state that theres going to be crust loads of snow or anything. to be honest i think this winter will be cold dry air coming in from the near continent ( france etc.. ) affecting mainly east anglia and the south east. I DONT THINK ITS GOING TO BE A SNOWY WINTER. Thanks just wanted to get that off my chest:)

Indian Summer - artic winter was the words i heard on ITV News.

Then surprise surprise princes charles was bein reported imediatly after how global warming should be controlled :)

I wondered when global warming was going to become a factor of the new ice age thats going to look like the day after tomorrow movie *cough* :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Seems as though the Express hasn't got enough material to put some boring story about Diana on the front page so once again they wheel out the old 'Freezing Winter' story in order to scare pensioners. I read this article this morning and it sounds complete rubbish (to me anyway), all overblown tabloid drivel. They did exactly the same this time last year and the weather got nowhere near as bad as they had warned.

Posted
I must admit as one of the most ardent snow and cold winter fans you can get, it is very difficult on an ultra balmy day like today to imagine that from a month or two's time we could be in the grip of a colder winter than we have been used to.

I very much that happens and still expect something better than we have been used to - but this endless autumn warmth does test the optimism somewhat!!

:)

SP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more with every word SP. Looking outside it could be a July day.

Some of these headline are quite staggering.

Posted

What with all the headlines about a possible energy crisis (hard to see when washing the car yesterday in a T shirt!) i was quite bemused to see a helicoptor with "electricty" on the side swooping low all over the power lines here. Now i am fully aware the electicity suppliers (or national grid) use helicoptors to check the state of the power lines (IIRC they use thermal imaging to detect possible break downs??) but this is the first time i have seen them. Is this just routine or a sign they are taking all of these warnings of a possibly harsh winter seriously?

Posted

:( Once again the Daily Express have their front page about the weather today still probably trying to scaremonger I expect! :(

I haven't read the article myself, I just saw the picture on their website. But no doubt, it'll probably say s0omething about the winter of '63!

Posted
Have you got a link? I have been searching thier site but with no hope

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure www.express.co.uk the picture is on the right hand side :(

Posted
:(   Once again the Daily Express have their front page about the weather today still probably trying to scaremonger I expect!  :(

I haven't read the article myself, I just saw the picture on their website. But no doubt, it'll probably say s0omething about the winter of '63!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they've probably exhausted the 'House Price collapse imminent' headlines for 2 or 3 years, so now it's the weather's turn for rubbish from the Express ...