Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

19.3C. Yesterday's average for me was 18.6C

Posted

It looks as though we are struggling with this being the sunniest summer on record. It needs August to record 210.6hrs at least to achieve this.

Using Philip's value as a rough guide, it needs the second half of August to be almost twice as sunny as the first half and with the length of the days steadily contracting, it is going to be a struggle.

Posted
It looks as though we are struggling with this being the sunniest summer on record. It needs August to record 210.6hrs at least to achieve this.

Using Philip's value as a rough guide, it needs the second half of August to be almost twice as sunny as the first half and with the length of the days steadily contracting, it is going to be a struggle.

I've just posted this link on model discussion thread but it applies here also.

http://www.paulwilman.com/August2006.htm

Sunshine hrs so far this month 11.5!

Average temp 17.5C!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well Yesterday was below average for us max 18C and a min of 11C wasn't impressive so again it depends were you live.

According to the Davis we're below average and to the Stevenson just above mainly due to different ways of recording the average. Most of the recent sunny spells have been fairly short so the temp has shot up then shot down again.

Posted
Average temp 17.5C, 3.5C below normal

Hi Dave.

Not trying to be picky, but using those figures, your potraying that Peterbough has an average monthly temperature of 21oC....some 4.8oC higher than the CET for August (CET is an average for August at 16.2oC)?

Without any offence, I cant see it (nor can I see it on the link you provided, which actually has the monthly average to date at 17.8oC).

Yes it's been incredibly dull compared to the two previous.Vitrually every day this month I've opened the curtains of the morning to see depressing greyness,hopefully more sunshine for the second half of the month.

Posted
Yes it's been incredibly dull compared to the two previous.Vitrually every day this month I've opened the curtains of the morning to see depressing greyness,hopefully more sunshine for the second half of the month.

Indeed, and I certainly agree with Kevin. The sunniest summer has gone out the window I suspect.

The CET is actually above average still at 16.9C http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/0608.htm so any gloom postings are over-done. It's just that compared to the hottest month ever recorded it's bound to appear a major come-down.

Incidentally, I'm not sure who that bloke is Dave but his instruments are clearly wrong. There is no way he's only had 11 hours sunshine. The CET zone average this month is currently 77 hours. Always good to check one's sources carefully. For instance, I tend not to post my own weather station data very often because it's not in a Stevenson screen and I know it's therefore incorrect.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Incidentally, I'm not sure who that bloke is Dave but his instruments are clearly wrong. There is no way he's only had 11 hours sunshine. The CET zone average this month is currently 77 hours. Always good to check one's sources carefully. For instance, I tend not to post my own weather station data very often because it's not in a Stevenson screen and I know it's therefore incorrect.

Its very possible if this person is living in the east or north-east, in these locations August so far has been absolutely dreadful sunshine-wise. Although I dont actually have a means of measuring sunshine, today is actually the first day where I can safely say there has been over an hour of sunshine. Every other day has been completely dull and overcast or only had occasional sunny spells which lasted a few minutes.

Its much the same with regards to rainfall aswell. While the majority of areas are drier than average at present, we are currently at 117% for the month already (57mm so far compared to the expected 48mm for the entire month). I agree that using one site as opposed to various (like the CET zone) is a little frivolous, but saying his instruments are 'clearly wrong' is a little unjust.

Posted

WIB agree the gloom postings are OTP but probably based on very warm previous month and a drop of 3 to 4 degrees is noticably so therefore feels cool in comparison.

You can't say someones records are wrong as this can very localised as we all know.

Posted

It is looking as though it could be one of the biggest sunshine crashes between adjacent months on record

Jul/Aug

July 1971: 232.6hrs

Aug 1971: 132.5hrs

Jun 1957: 284.6hrs

Jul 1957: 140.4hrs

Richard from Aberdeen on The WeatherOutlook Forum is saying it is looking as though it could be Aberdeen's dullest August since possibly 1963

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
It is looking as though it could be one the biggest sun crashes between adjacent months on record

Jul/Aug

Could be temp wise yet. Another cool day again here despite a promising start

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

19.2C now but temperature today already at 19.0C.

Posted
Its very possible if this person is living in the east or north-east, in these locations August so far has been absolutely dreadful sunshine-wise. Although I dont actually have a means of measuring sunshine, today is actually the first day where I can safely say there has been over an hour of sunshine. Every other day has been completely dull and overcast or only had occasional sunny spells which lasted a few minutes.

Its much the same with regards to rainfall aswell. While the majority of areas are drier than average at present, we are currently at 117% for the month already (57mm so far compared to the expected 48mm for the entire month). I agree that using one site as opposed to various (like the CET zone) is a little frivolous, but saying his instruments are 'clearly wrong' is a little unjust.

Looked at the bloke's site and he claims only 112.4 hours for the entire year to date :) I think his calculations look a bit suspect (or maybe his sunshine recorder is under a tree)...

Edited by Stargazer

Posted

It`s been overall fairly dull here this month I can`t say how many hours of sun we`ve had but more than what you`ve had.

This month`s just flying by we`re already halfway through I can`t see it getting much warmer now although it`s still possible I suppose.

There`s very little sun which has kept the temp down in most parts.

I may well of overdone my temperature for this month at 17.4c

S9

Posted
It is looking as though it could be one of the biggest sunshine crashes between adjacent months on record

Jul/Aug

Richard from Aberdeen on The WeatherOutlook Forum is saying it is looking as though it could be Aberdeen's dullest August since possibly 1963

Aug/Sep 1995 must have been another contender?

Posted
Hi Dave.

Not trying to be picky, but using those figures, your potraying that Peterbough has an average monthly temperature of 21oC....some 4.8oC higher than the CET for August (CET is an average for August at 16.2oC)?

Without any offence, I cant see it (nor can I see it on the link you provided, which actually has the monthly average to date at 17.8oC).

All im trying to say is the average MAX temp in Peterborough has been 17.8C upto 14th August. I was wrong with the average max temp for Peterborough because it is actually 22.3 so that makes it 3.5C below normal.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ave.../cambridge.html

So im not talking about the CET mean temp but the average max temp iin Peterborough.

The sunshine total so far this month 11.0 hrs really proves what a poor August it has been for my region. :(

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
Looked at the bloke's site and he claims only 112.4 hours for the entire year to date :( I think his calculations look a bit suspect (or maybe his sunshine recorder is under a tree)...

Yes I'm afraid it's nonsense! 112.4 hours for the year :lol: :( A proper site would have recorded that within 10 days in July.

Sorry Dave, but not only is the sunshine figure complete nonsense, but I think the guy's max looks out too. It bears no relation to any nearby sites. The central England max up to 15th August is 20.6C http://www.climate-uk.com/graphs/0608.htm

Although, as we know, Peterborough has a very special micro-climate and is one of the coldest spots in the northern hemisphere ( :D ) a difference of 3C over 2 weeks from the rest of the CET cannot be correct. As we already know his sunshine figure is completely erroneous I'm not inclined to believe any data from that source. Best we stick to official stations ...!

Edited by West is Best

Posted

This poor bloke would probably be surprised to see his data being bandied around as evidence for Peterborough's climate. But I notice he recorded a grand total of 15 hours sunshine in July compared to the 300+ hours officially.

Hmmm ... I think it's probably best we move on?! :( As I'm always keen to say to my students: it always pays to check your sources carefully.

Posted

One other record that is looking very unlikeluy now is the summer record CET which is held by summer 1976 presently. Considering the CET is at 16.9C now and given there is no signs at all for a warm-up beyond what we already have, because we are well and truely locked into a WNW/NW type pattern which the odd intrusion from shallow lows.

Given night-times mins aren't really going to drop that low we should keep an above average CET but probably not much over.

Mind you I must admit I'd be very suprised if Eye's site is accurate to be honest.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Mind you I must admit I'd be very suprised if Eye's site is accurate to be honest.

It isn't. Feel a bit sorry for the poor bloke running it as he probably didn't expect his figures to be posted up and then scrutinised. The sunshine figure is clearly complete nonsense, and the maxima looks very out compared to the official Met Office figures too.

Anyway ... you'll probably be right about the CET but I still wouldn't discount a warm up despite the zonal (more westerly than NW by the way) flow heading our way soon. The 850hPa temps are not low in the reliable timeframe so in the sunshine between the rain bands it'll still warm up nicely. I'd be very surprised if we don't end up with another above average month.

Posted

Being a bit premature isn't he? We're only halfway through August.

Posted
Being a bit premature isn't he? We're only halfway through August.

Not necessarily, you can guesstimate, infact Richard has worked it out that even if Aberdeen got 20% above average sunshine from now to the end of August it would be still the dullest August since 1979 :(

Posted
Not necessarily, you can guesstimate, infact Richard has worked it out that even if Aberdeen got 20% above average sunshine from now to the end of August it would be still the dullest August since 1979 :lol:

Philip's regional breakdown shows how dull the first half of August for northern Scotland has been only 43% of the average sunshine

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

According to Phillip Eden, the CET has fallen to 16.8C.