Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's still early days- the current CET stands at approximately 16.8C, so we are, at least, on line for my 16.9C prediction.

A warm second half could easily cancel out a rather cool first half- like happened last year, for example. June 2005 was an even more extreme case- the first half was the coolest, along with 2001, since 1995, then the second half was the warmest since 1976. Then March 2005 was even more extreme.

Guest Mike W

Cool or cold conditions never hang around for long at all these days so I would expect to see a return to some awful hot and humid conditions after this cooler period that has been forecast. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened anyway.

Edited by Mike W

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I think something that needs pointing out is that we have now reached the time of year where the first half of the month is on average warmer than the second half of the month. Yes folks, we are now on the cooling slope.

How many Septembers have been warmer than August????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

September 1999 was warmer than August 1999 in Cleadon according to my records, entirely due to a higher average maximum, so it has happened locally in recent years.

Posted
I think something that needs pointing out is that we have now reached the time of year where the first half of the month is on average warmer than the second half of the month. Yes folks, we are now on the cooling slope.

Yes, but it's a difference between the two halves that is usually far less pronounced than September or May. With still a lot of heat around on the Continent in the second half of August it's quite feasible that the second half could be warmer than the first, and I'm sure it has happened on many occasions.

Posted

It happened last year; I think it may also have happened in 1996 (though I'm not certain on that one).

Indeed, in 2001 October was locally warmer than September (!!), on my Cleadon records it came out just 0.1C cooler, so you can get upsets like that. However, it is true to say that on average, the second half of August is cooler than the first half.

Posted
It happened last year; I think it may also have happened in 1996 (though I'm not certain on that one).

Indeed, in 2001 October was locally warmer than September (!!), on my Cleadon records it came out just 0.1C cooler, so you can get upsets like that. However, it is true to say that on average, the second half of August is cooler than the first half.

August 1984: I'm pretty sure there was a notable difference between the second half compared to the first half. If I was asked an August where the second half was warmer than the first half, August 1984 be top of my list. :(

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As the CET is currently 16.8C according to Phillip Eden, high maxima will most likely push it to 17.2C by the end of monday, afterward, the CET should drop away sharply, so that it may be between 15.2C and 15.5C on the 15th.

Posted

Snowmaiden: 13.5C

Summer Blizzard: 15.2C

SteveB: 15.7C

Stephen Prudence: 15.9C

Snow-Man2006: 15.9C

PersianPaladin: 16C

Jshaw: 16.2C

Cheeky_monkey: 16.4C

Windswept: 16.5C

Supercell: 16.6C

Shuggee: 16.7C

Stargazer: 16.8C

Bilz: 16.8C

Lukenmudge: 16.9C

Thundry Wintry Showers: 16.9C

Osbourne One-Nil: 16.9C

Anti-Mild: 17C

Beng: 17C

HighPressure: 17C

The Abominable Snowman: 17C

PhilipEden: 17.1C

Reef: 17.2C

Drfeelgood: 17.2C

TinyBill: 17.2C

Steve M: 17.2C

Hammer: 17.2C

Great Plum: 17.3C

Senior ridge: 17.3C

Terminal Moraine: 17.3C

Mr Sleet: 17.3C

Sunshine: 17.4C

Snowyowl9: 17.4C

Bham Chris: 17.5C

Bottesford: 17.5C

kold weather: 17.5C

Dawlish: 17.5C

Conor123: 17.6C

Scribbler: 17.6C

Joneseye: 17.6C

AtlanticFlamethrower: 17.7C

Su Rui Ke: 17.8C

Mr Data: 17.8C

ChrisL: 17.8C

Sandstorm2: 17.8C

Rollo: 17.9C

Jackone: 18C

Pete Tattum: 18.1C

Kippure: 18.1C

Timmy H: 18.1C

Parmenides3: 18.3C

Summer of 95: 18.4C

Stormchaser1: 18.5C

Scorcher: 18.6C

Snowprincess: 18.7C

Optimus Prime: 18.9C

West is Best: 18.9C

The PIT: 19C

Michael Prys-Roberts: 19C

Stricklands: 19.2C

Roger J Smith: 19.4C

Vince: 20.4C

Assuming that my predictions are coreect, then i would rule out a CET above 18C.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Currently 19.2C as my CET. May lift by 0.1-0.2C by the end of today as I am expecting to reach 27C this afternoon.

A question for anyone to answer - are there likely to be any more heatwaves in August or even September like the late one last year?

Posted
Assuming that my predictions are coreect, then i would rule out a CET above 18C.

'Rule out' remains a rather strong phrase to use SB.

17.2C up to yesterday on Philip's measure, and with another extremely warm night last night and a very hot day today we're likely to see the CET pushing 18C before the cool-down. Yes, it may fall away next week but I just don't see how it's possible to rule out anything with only 16% of the month gone.

Posted

20.0C is my CET.

Posted

According to Phillip Eden, the current CET is 18.1C, the CET should be around average by the 15th.

Posted

Nothing on this for a few days. I dont use any other CET type figure, but Net-Wx is still approx +0.8oC above average.

Even taking into account the 00z run, I cant see August being hugely (although slightly is quite possible) below average month.

Still, it looks possible of being a complete contrast to July (and June to a lesser extent).

Posted
Nothing on this for a few days. I dont use any other CET type figure, but Net-Wx is still approx +0.8oC above average.

Even taking into account the 00z run, I cant see August being hugely (although slightly is quite possible) below average month.

Still, it looks possible of being a complete contrast to July (and June to a lesser extent).

Phillip Eden also has the average on 17.6°C (+1.0). At this time of the year, even northerlies are hardly cool; especially with the large amount of heat sent northwards during July. If it continues through to the end of the month, expect it to have more impact though - mainly as the airmasses begin to cool and the sun weakens. The coolest summer days also occur under cloud and rain, something which despite this apparent change is still rather rare.

Posted

So far, in Yatton, it has started at 16.7C then went up to 20.5C by Wednesday but is sinking again and is now at 19.9C.

Posted
Any bets that a maximum of at least 30.0C+ will not be reached this August, anywhere, (Channel Islands included)? The last time that happened was August 1993.

The last time a summer month failed to achieve 30.0C+ was way back in...July 2004. And August 2006 recorded just one day of 30.0C+ ... the 31st!

Edited by Nick H

Posted

I'm guessing he means specifically in the month of August- and indeed, I can't remember any Augusts after 1993 where 30C was not reached.

Posted
I'm guessing he means specifically in the month of August- and indeed, I can't remember any Augusts after 1993 where 30C was not reached.

Thats right TWS, I was referring to August.

I think 30.1C was recorded at the London Weather Centre on the 29th of July 2004, although not an official site.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Yes I accept that, I was just adding info :)

30.1C at Clerkenwell was indeed reached on 29 July 2004...but only 29.9C at Heathrow. :) RHS Wisley also recorded 29.9C that day.

Other Augusts not to record 30.0C+ in recent times are 1980-82, 1985-88 and 1991-92.

August 2000 is interesting: 31C was recorded at Jersey on the 25th but as far as I'm aware the highest maximum on the mainland was only 29.8C at Southampton (is Soton still an official station? It was in June 1976, of course). I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

Edited by Nick H

Any bets that a maximum of at least 30.0C+ will not be reached this August, anywhere, (Channel Islands included)? The last time that happened was August 1993.

I'm not going to bet on it but it would be sensational if we failed to hit it after the very warm June and exceptional July,that would make it quite a turnaround.But I can see a 30C somewhere towards the end of the month.