Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
For southeast Colorado, a new dust bowl is blowing in

BACA COUNTY —Topsoil blew into a dark cloud that swept across the flat landscape of southeast Colorado once again Monday afternoon. Footsteps leave dust in loose pockets and grit in the teeth of those who speak. The land pays a bigger price. After nearly four years of deep drought, wind-churned dust has become a slow-moving natural disaster. Comparisons to the Dust Bowl are no longer hyperbole — they're accurate.

"The dust storms we had here a week or so ago are just about as bad as I've ever seen," Joe Rosengrants said. The 79-year-old farmer and rancher is part of a family that has worked the land in Baca County since 1910.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

had a snowy day saturday...looks like some more on Weds with below freezing temps again..cold outbreraks getting fewer and less severe now as we head further into spring.

Posted

"Heat" Just how hot was it?

I used the word in reply to the previous post. My normal terminology would be a positive temperature anomaly. That information is of course is in the public domain.

Posted

Just to add to that for March.

A wide zone of extraordinary temperature anomalies ranged throughout Siberia and the Arctic during the month with 4-8 C above average readings stretching along an enormous swath from Germany in the west to Yakutia in the east and from China in the south and on up to the North Pole.

Summer-like temperatures in Siberia

Large warmer than normal air pulses progressed from China northward over broad sections of Russia and Siberia throughout the month. These pulses harmonized with persistent high amplitude Jet Stream ridges over Eastern Europe to draw much warmer than average temperatures northward.

By early April, these conditions had translated into 70 degree (Fahrenheit) values for some sections of Siberia, where the annual fire season had an ominous, very early start for the Amur and the Baikal — Russian regions that are typically still locked in ice this time of year. Overall, by April 6, more than 2,000 hectacres of fires had been reported by the, justifiably, very concerned Russian officials.

https://robertscribbler.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/nasa-giss-shows-march-2014-was-third-hottest-on-record-as-arctic-heatwave-spurs-siberian-fire-season-to-early-start/

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just to add to that for March.

A wide zone of extraordinary temperature anomalies ranged throughout Siberia and the Arctic during the month with 4-8 C above average readings stretching along an enormous swath from Germany in the west to Yakutia in the east and from China in the south and on up to the North Pole.

Summer-like temperatures in Siberia

Large warmer than normal air pulses progressed from China northward over broad sections of Russia and Siberia throughout the month. These pulses harmonized with persistent high amplitude Jet Stream ridges over Eastern Europe to draw much warmer than average temperatures northward.

By early April, these conditions had translated into 70 degree (Fahrenheit) values for some sections of Siberia, where the annual fire season had an ominous, very early start for the Amur and the Baikal — Russian regions that are typically still locked in ice this time of year. Overall, by April 6, more than 2,000 hectacres of fires had been reported by the, justifiably, very concerned Russian officials.

https://robertscribbler.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/nasa-giss-shows-march-2014-was-third-hottest-on-record-as-arctic-heatwave-spurs-siberian-fire-season-to-early-start/

and this has to do with North American weather how exactly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

and this has to do with North American weather how exactly?

Seems like it was a reply to this http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/32704-north-american-weather-usa-canada/?p=2957138

Posted

My parents will be flying over to Vancouver (direct from Sydney) to board the Norwegian Sun cruise ship for an Alaskan Cruise (including stops at the towns/cities of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Anchorage, plus a stop at a tourist destination called 'Icy Strait Point', and also scenic cruising about several glaciers) during late July / early August this year. The cruise will go up the British Columbian / Alaskan coast, then back down it again (stopping at most places twice). Then once back in Vancouver and off the ship, they will spend a full day about the city there, and a full day in Victoria (B.C.) the next day. Flying back to Sydney direct from Vancouver the day after.

Looking at their climate stats on Wiki, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Anchorage's July/August average max/min temps (around 17-19ºC maxs and 10-11ºC mins) are pretty much equal to being down here in July (there's a chance that some days/nights could be warmer here than where they will be, lol). Victoria and Vancouver July/Aug averages are more like the max/min temps you'd experience here in September / early October.

From what I can gather late July / early August seems to be the height of summer along the Alaskan / British Columbian coast (is there a collective term that refers to that stretch of coast, e.g. North Pacific Coast?).

They've been reading about tipping today in the US/Canada, as it is a strange concept for Australians! (my parents' previous international travel experience includes Indonesia, N.Z. and the Pacific Islands.). I must say, I didn't quite realise until today that Canada was a nation that does tipping. Australians are apparently renown for being lousy tippers, as I guess it's hard to get past that mentality of "why should I give extra money on top of what I've already paid for" and "you're already getting paid for the job you do". I've never tipped, unless you include several times in a taxi where I've told the driver to "keep the coin" when receiving change (and that's only for my benefit, so I don't have to carry around annoying coins). My parents have never tipped at cafes/restaurants etc. and I've never seen my friends tip (excluding the occasional "keep the coin" in the taxi). Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anybody tip!

Edited by NorthNSW
  • Like 1

Posted

My parents will be flying over to Vancouver (direct from Sydney) to board the Norwegian Sun cruise ship for an Alaskan Cruise (including stops at the towns/cities of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Anchorage, plus a stop at a tourist destination called 'Icy Strait Point', and also scenic cruising about several glaciers) during late July / early August this year. The cruise will go up the British Columbian / Alaskan coast, then back down it again (stopping at most places twice). Then once back in Vancouver and off the ship, they will spend a full day about the city there, and a full day in Victoria (B.C.) the next day. Flying back to Sydney direct from Vancouver the day after.

Looking at their climate stats on Wiki, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Anchorage's July/August average max/min temps (around 17-19ºC maxs and 10-11ºC mins) are pretty much equal to being down here in July (there's a chance that some days/nights could be warmer here than where they will be, lol). Victoria and Vancouver July/Aug averages are more like the max/min temps you'd experience here in September / early October.

From what I can gather late July / early August seems to be the height of summer along the Alaskan / British Columbian coast (is there a collective term that refers to that stretch of coast, e.g. North Pacific Coast?).

They've been reading about tipping today in the US/Canada, as it is a strange concept for Australians! (my parents' previous international travel experience includes Indonesia, N.Z. and the Pacific Islands.). I must say, I didn't quite realise until today that Canada was a nation that does tipping. Australians are apparently renown for being lousy tippers, as I guess it's hard to get past that mentality of "why should I give extra money on top of what I've already paid for" and "you're already getting paid for the job you do". I've never tipped, unless you include several times in a taxi where I've told the driver to "keep the coin" when receiving change (and that's only for my benefit, so I don't have to carry around annoying coins). My parents have never tipped at cafes/restaurants etc. and I've never seen my friends tip (excluding the occasional "keep the coin" in the taxi). Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anybody tip!

This is true, service providers don't expect you to tip in Australia, but here in Tasmania it is something that I have noticed that people regularly do. I very rarely go out to restaurants, but when I have, I will leave something extra as a thank you. As a kid growing up here that is something that my father always did when we went out. Many cafes also have a big jar on their counter where you can place your change if you want to, as an extra thank you. I've noticed the same customs happen in Melbourne...

I don't know about places elsewhere in Australia, that's my travel footprint in this country.

I hope your parents have a safe and happy time!

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks Styx for your well wishes. //d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Guessing tipping habits are probably tied to income levels of regions (http://mumble.com.au/fedelect13/wall/censustables/MEDINC.HTM)? 

Not that my parents have money issues themselves, but the federal electorate that I/we live in (Cowper) is the poorest in the country (out of 150 federal electorates). The neighbouring electorate to the south ( Lyne) is the third poorest, and the electorate to our north (Page) is the fourth poorest.

I have just started to look 'virtually' via videos, pictures, articles and Google Streetview, about they places they might be interested in visiting at their stops/visits in Alaska, Vancouver and Victoria (B.C.). Mum's mentioned the Butchart Gardens in Victoria and the Capilano Bridge in Vancouver (I actually wonder if my Dad will walk on the bridge as he's afraid of heights, lol //d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png ).

Within a week or two of them getting back I should hopefully be able to share some images of their trip. //d321955.r.worldssl.net/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/good.gif

Edited by NorthNSW

Posted

We have a snowfall hear just issued of 10-20cm. I don't think it will be as its very wet from rain this morning. Maybe for the higher elevations.

Posted

What Does El Niño Mean for Me?

Predictions for how the weather pattern could affect more than 60 cities, states, regions, and countries.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/04/el_nino_2014_2015_what_the_weather_pattern_means_for_60_plus_places.html

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Posted ImagePosted Image

"The first multi-day, significant severe weather outbreak of 2014 is set to begin Saturday in the Great Plains. Very large hail and damaging winds are the primary threats Saturday, with isolated tornadoes possible. An even greater threat exists Sunday, including strong tornadoes, focused in the Ark-La-Tex region. Heavy rainfall could also bring flood concerns to parts of the Miss. & Tenn. Valleys." - NWS/SPC (Correct as of 05:30GMT)

• Like 1

Posted

Major Tornado Outbreak Expected in Next Few Days. Here’s What You Should Know.

It’s increasingly certain that a major, multiday severe weather outbreak will take place across parts of the Midwest and South over the next few days.

The Storm Prediction Center—the tornado-forecasting arm of the National Weather Service—mentions a “favorable environment for long-lived supercells and multiple intense tornadoes†on Sunday across Missouri and Arkansas. The primary tornado threat will shift eastward and south in subsequent days, traveling through Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, ending in the Carolinas and mid-Atlantic on Wednesday.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/27/major_tornado_outbreak_expected_in_next_few_days.html

post-12275-0-83745300-1398622710_thumb.g

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's taking off now. 

6 or 7 reporter tornadoes, specifically in Joplin and KSC. 

Sadly, 2 losses of life in Oklahoma. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Terrible night in Arkansas.

A half mile wide tornado touched down near Little Rock and has gone on to wipe out 3 or 4 towns. Mayflower, is completely gone - ironically the same town was wiped out almost 3 years ago today. El Paso, Roland and a few others have taken severe damage.

6 reported fatalities and 3 or 4 declared disaster zones.

Not a good start to the week with another 2-3 days of severe weather ahead.