Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 5

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

For all those concerned with rising temperatures, do not be concerned, this is a combination of two factors...

1) Wind is increasing

2) Cloud cover is increasing

Posted
Crimsone how longs it been snowing dude.Im in bath and hoping for something worth getting excited about.And also is it heavy light snow or what

About 1.5 to 2 hous, getting lighter and heavier at times. It's a bit wet, but isn't sleet. some of the flakes now are getting quite large. It couldn't really be described as heavy, but could be mistaken that way in the gusty wind, but it couldn't be described as light either - it's just snowing reasonably right now.

I should add also that I'm in an odd location - the microclimate here seems to cause the worst weather to go around the place most of the time for some reason - I can guarentee that I'll see less snow than Port Talbot or Bridgend (6 miles either side of me), but I'm happy for anything I get this time - it's been so long since I've seen snow!

(I'm not a dude though hon! lol)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Ahhhh, don't worry child maybe mummy will kiss you goodnight and tell you to dream of snow so it'll all be better.

LOL

you not been following it then? tell me it doesnt look like a halt? Either the air mass is t cold to push up or im wrong and we are all gone die from 3 inches of snow.. Eitherway. It looks like a NO go. ALl precip had died that was heading for the midlands and its also changes course heading NNW ish

Posted
that radar is a joke!

It just backs up the whole idea of a flop!, If you check any animations, it looked goot to start with now, its gone! the front isnt even moving north anymore!

omg yes it is have u not seen the updated meto radar, its pushing further north, the north extent is intesifying now.

Posted

still dissapointing forecast very patchy north of the south midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Im not sure why people are saying it's moving east? It's not it's noving northeast, keep an eye closely on the radar!

Posted

My Maplins £39.99 weather gadget has animated snowflakes showing.

The BBC £2 Million computer says a hot sunny day on thursday.

Who is right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Stop looking at forecasts and start watching radar :( . The latest image from NW-Extra shows quite clearly what was forecast from days ago. Sleet and rain for Eire, rain for the far south west of England turning readily to snow as the fronts moved inland to the east. Perhaps some snow for N.Ireland:

I'm sorry, but anyone who is "bitterly disappointed" obviously didn't follow the models and forecasts over the past several days. The event is playing out almost bang on. Remember, this is the weather we are watching, anything can happen, so for the models to have pinned this within a hundred miles or so from a long way back, well done.

(Don't worry Paul, I'll not post any more radar from Extra, I needed that one to illustrate my point :angry: )

That made me look out of the window and guess what, sleet i cant believe it i was expecting rain :D

So Shocked, this has to be good for those North of me.

Russ

Posted

You can clearly see the airmass halting it on http://www.meteox.com

Thanks Paul B,

Got the impression of this earlier - note the density variant between cold and warm air masses. Appears cold on this occasion holding out a serious stronhold. Wind now picking up further, new drop of 10mB pressure. No precipitation in NE Cardiff but temp rise from 1.7 to 1.9, time for some action!

Posted
For all those concerned with rising temperatures, do not be concerned, this is a combination of two factors...

1) Wind is increasing

2) Cloud cover is increasing

and

3) upper air temps are increasing ahead of

4) milder Atlantic conditions

All 4 go together. I'd have thought the trajectory might be helpful to those in the Midlands, but that may be straw clutching ... we will see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The people who are saying about the PPN not moving very fast or moving more east then north... The PPN on the 18z GFS run shows it being where it is now by midnight... and then making swift progress by 6am and 9am and being around the midlands. I'm sorry that I keep bringing up the word PPN and GFS run, but there is seriously no change from the early forecasts, its going as its meant to be, looks like im the only one keeping a level head and not getting crazy here with all the talk of 'downgrades' and 'let down'

Posted

Stephen, these systems are horrid because the motion of the cells in the front is easterly and the systrem is exapanding eastwards as well and elongating that way as well which suggests more energy is being injected into the system, however you are right the fronts are currently heading NE which makes these systems very difficult to get a good grip on exactly where everything is going.

Paul, i agree mate, keep the ide aof south in your mind, history tells us these systems hammer the south and S.Midlands, looks like the radar shows something not too dissimilar to that.

Posted
The people who are saying about the PPN not moving very fast or moving more east then north... The PPN on the 18z GFS run shows it being where it is now by midnight... and then making swift progress by 6am and 9am and being around the midlands. I'm sorry that I keep bringing up the word PPN and GFS run, but there is seriously no change from the early forecasts, its going as its meant to be, looks like im the only one keeping a level head and not getting crazy here with all the talk of 'downgrades' and 'let down'

Would love to keep a level head but GFS has tought me many things during summertimes and thats " usigfdasldfgaslgfasldfasubf;asdgfjbAQ;HC " So i take onboard your thoughts and will try and remind myself that all is well.

Posted

Im feeling pretty good about my chances here in oxford. Temperature is at 0.8C right now and holding steady with total cloud cover. Not amazing, but not too bad. And this southern movement of the northern boundary fits with what i have always though was likely, though not been confident of.

And i must admit i lost confidence earlier this evening when temps suddenly went up about a degree in a short time.

But Steve might end up looking pretty good from this. Im right in the south midlands, and he originally sugegsted that somewhere around here would see the best fall. Not getting ahead of myself, but going by the tilting of the radar, and also the most recent bbc24 forecast, i look in line for the big stuff.

Posted
Sorry but now having seen the forecast from Rob M, there is no change from earlier really. I thought when people said a 50 mile move south, they were genuine, if you can ignore these calls, nothing much has changed from the 10:35pm forecast just a bit of pre-event jitters I think.

Have to say Stephen that its not looking as good for this area.. BUT!!!.. Because we hold on to the colder temps a bit longer gives us a better chance of something a little better.. I think it's all a case of watch what happens.. I still don't think there are any firm plans as yet.. :)

Posted

At least we have some people in here keeping cool. Im just sat here cooly watching radars and watchin poker......... CHILL OUT PEOPLE!!

Posted
Does this mean i could be in with a better shot at being only 12miles from the solent??

that said the temperature has shot up to 3.4 eeeeeeeeeek

Posted

Well looking at the (accurate so far) Beeb forecast this mornin it predicted rain approaching the West Country to turnt to heavy snow very quickly over the We middilands spreading eastvery quickly, so far its done exactly that.

Cmon peeps, its only snow calm down!

I fear an attack of the Captal letters if this donsnt happen :)

Theres an unhappy atmosphere on here and its not nice :)

Posted
THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE MOTHER OF ALL DOWNGRADES

(that is, if the bbc are right, and seeing as it is all now supposed to start how can they be wrong from this range?)

BBC at midnight: Temps higher EVERYWHERE, less snow EVERYWHERE, VERY little IF ANY snow getting as far north as the midlands, rain for most south of m4, then all precipitation gone by mid afternoon.

Could well be the BIGGEST SNOW LET DOWN OF MY LIFE, AND IT HAPPENS A LOT.

Temperature here is falling as expected. Where do you get your 'Everywhere' from?