Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 5

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Well looking at the (accurate so far) Beeb forecast this mornin it predicted rain approaching the West Country to turnt to heavy snow very quickly over the We middilands spreading eastvery quickly, so far its done exactly that.

Cmon peeps, its only snow calm down!

I fear an attack of the Captal letters if this donsnt happen :)

Theres an unhappy atmosphere on here and its not nice :)

Sorry? Its done exactly what? it hasnt even reached the west country!

Posted
I don't know what you people are looking at. If you seen the charts this was meant to happen. It comes round 45 degrees and heads nne again. Paranoid Androids.

No the tilting was originally progged as a much more gradual process, meaning the west side progressed further north in the first p,lace and the east side slowly followed round, making the highest snowfall line uch further north.

With the rate of this tilting there is a suggestion that the front might struggle to get as far north and slip away eastwards more than anything as it snows itself out.

Posted
About 1.5 to 2 hous, getting lighter and heavier at times. It's a bit wet, but isn't sleet. some of the flakes now are getting quite large. It couldn't really be described as heavy, but could be mistaken that way in the gusty wind, but it couldn't be described as light either - it's just snowing reasonably right now.

I should add also that I'm in an odd location - the microclimate here seems to cause the worst weather to go around the place most of the time for some reason - I can guarentee that I'll see less snow than Port Talbot or Bridgend (6 miles either side of me), but I'm happy for anything I get this time - it's been so long since I've seen snow!

(I'm not a dude though hon! lol)

Does it settle ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
I don't know what you people are looking at. If you seen the charts this was meant to happen. It comes round 45 degrees and heads nne again. Paranoid Androids.

Exactly Glenn.

Posted
Well looking at the (accurate so far) Beeb forecast this mornin it predicted rain approaching the West Country to turnt to heavy snow very quickly over the We middilands spreading eastvery quickly, so far its done exactly that.

Cmon peeps, its only snow calm down!

I fear an attack of the Captal letters if this donsnt happen :)

Theres an unhappy atmosphere on here and its not nice :)

Not all of the west country, only the bottom half.

Posted

Im tryin work out why some people in west country specially glos weston super mare had snowflakes and im only 30 mile from WSM and i havent seen anythin.Still i ll be patient

Posted

For what it's worth, at Rest Bay, Porthcawl very near here, the dewpoint and temperature are dropping again - quite dramatically over the last 30 mins.. It's dropped about 0.8 to a value of 2.4 degrees for the temp, and it's now down to 0 degrees on Dewpoint.

The pressure has been stable for a while now at 986 hPa, with a wind from the east averaging at about 17 MpH

Does it settle ?

As I said, not as yet, though now that the temp and dewpoint are falling again, it may begin to. Temp has just dropped another .4 degrees in the time between this original post and this edit to it.

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
raining in sandown :)

still sleet here, flakes among the drizzle, quite large wet blobs :)

Posted
No the tilting was originally progged as a much more gradual process, meaning the west side progressed further north in the first p,lace and the east side slowly followed round, making the highest snowfall line uch further north.

With the rate of this tilting there is a suggestion that the front might struggle to get as far north and slip away eastwards more than anything as it snows itself out.

I have to disagree with that. We will see, time will tell.

Posted

Hope the guys at net weather don't mind me showin this but it shows the snow movin up through Wales with sleet and rain unfortunately to the west in Ireland!

ie your guy from Cardiff sayin it just sartin snowin!

Won't post the nw extra chart again just wanted to show it!

post-6398-1170895346_thumb.png

Posted
At least we have some people in here keeping cool. Im just sat here cooly watching radars and watchin poker......... CHILL OUT PEOPLE!!

Me likes your attitude.

All the annoyed people i do understand, and you want snow no more badly than i do, but there is nothing we can do to attract snow to us, and getting annoyed and ranting wont make snow blow over to you.

When i get suitable finances and college sorted im gonna move to scotland or maybe even iceland, a bit outlandish ideas but anything is possible :)

Posted

what i dont understand is why is the snow so much further south at 9.00am tommorow then it was earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Fek all in glos..

Dont expect any either,.

Havent had snow in ohh lets say 5 years.. So why start now?

Checking radars it just seems to be dying out as it oves up!

Band heading North but fading out quickly then moving west!

Posted

whats all this talk about massive downgrade on the bbc? far as i can see from the very latest bbc chart, it is worse for the northern midlands because it is further south, but apart from that, they show snow everywhere, even south of the M4, and dense snow, lasting right through tomorrow. The guy even mentioned a snow event "midnight till midnight". though perhaps not in one area!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Stephen, these systems are horrid because the motion of the cells in the front is easterly and the systrem is exapanding eastwards as well and elongating that way as well which suggests more energy is being injected into the system, however you are right the fronts are currently heading NE which makes these systems very difficult to get a good grip on exactly where everything is going.

Paul, i agree mate, keep the ide aof south in your mind, history tells us these systems hammer the south and S.Midlands, looks like the radar shows something not too dissimilar to that.

Yep KW the ONLY reason there is an eastward motion is the same reason why it is slow and the moment, because it is hitting a wide area of dewpoints below 0C and and the barrier of the colder air, so therefore this is bound to happen, and shows up well on the 18z. It's very much going the way the GFS modelled it, it's not going further south like some suggest. I think its a case of pre-snow jitters is it not?

Posted
Fek all in glos..

Dont expect any either,.

i wouldnt be worried if i was you mate you have a much better chance then me now :)

Posted

check the meto radar!!! i see a major upgrade for all especially further noth :) anyone agree ?

Posted
Fek all in glos..

Dont expect any either,.

Umm mate, I take it you havn't seen the huge blob far to the south? If it goes west, it can't miss you, if it goes east the current precip will hit you. It's a win win :) chill

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Evening all,

just flicked back the curtains and checked the lamppost, no sign of snow yet in Burton, but it is overcast and the wind has increased, currently gusting to 22mph, temperature -1.3c, bitterly cold. :)

Paul

Posted

I have been watching the radar for the last 2 hours. It does seen to be stalling and worst still, breaking up, around the Hereford area.

No real sign of any northern movement