Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted
Sounds very similar to what we have here at the mo. My suspicions are that is all for the heavy snow, but all eyes on the radar in the hope of being proved wrong... by the way anyone know where the Pennines are? :drinks:

Lancashire mate :D

Posted
Well I have to say i'm a bit lost for words. I've never seen a radar return like that over the top of me not producing something from the skies. Upto -1C exactly now.

What a great night of radar watching this is turning out to be. Couldn't access the NW Extra radar for yonks yesterday evening, and now its fibbing ridiculously.

Its laughing at you.

Posted

It loos quite good Steve according to the net-weather radar, strongest ppt just to our north now but still lts and lots of mod to come, even if it did head due north like a normal speed front got a good 2-3hrs of snow yet to come, however it may take lnger then even that because of the synoptic set-up.

Now got fairly heavy small flaked snowflakes flaling and snow is deepening, not quite as deep as you have mind you Steve but its getting there!

Also 0z goes for -11C overnight tonight in Wales and widespread temps below -5C. Considering this is the GFS thats mighty cold indeed and rural temps will go lower then even that, bitter night coming up, coldest in lowland England for quite a time one suspects if the snow can hold.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
nice one :drinks:

Errr....no it's not.

The pennines run across the spine of the country from Derbyshire northwards towards County Durham\East Cumbria up to the Borders.

Posted
Thunder Snow :D

Fantastic! where abouts does nanu live?

Er se/london..... anyway can hear a loads of emergency sirens going off outside.. just hope lightning didnt strike anything :drinks:

Posted
It loos quite good Steve according to the net-weather radar, strongest ppt just to our north now but still lts and lots of mod to come, even if it did head due north like a normal speed front got a good 2-3hrs of snow yet to come, however it may take lnger then even that because of the synoptic set-up.

Now got fairly heavy small flaked snowflakes flaling and snow is deepening, not quite as deep as you have mind you Steve but its getting there!

Also 0z goes for -11C overnight tonight in Wales and widespread temps below -5C. Considering this is the GFS thats mighty cold indeed and rural temps will go lower then even that, bitter night coming up, coldest in lowland England for quite a time one suspects if the snow can hold.

nothing here yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

snow is starting to intensify now, good cover on the ground already.

Posted
Well I have to say i'm a bit lost for words. I've never seen a radar return like that over the top of me not producing something from the skies. Upto -1C exactly now.

What a great night of radar watching this is turning out to be. Couldn't access the NW Extra radar for yonks yesterday evening, and now its fibbing ridiculously.

Yes that extra radar is well out. no snow in leicestershire at all yet , unyet a potcode zoom shows ppn right over me and as far north as south derbyshire. From looking at the situation leicester has gone from being suppose to be the worst effected to looking like we might miss out.

Posted

About 4 cms here so far but the snow is falling heavily.

Temperature did actually rise to +2c (!) at 2 AM but has now dipped to 0.4c.

Already the most snow we had since 2003 (possibly equalling)

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Not sticking on all surfaces here... there is wetness on the terrace. However sheer persistence may make good if the snow continues. Obviously great snowball material. Still rate this a marginal event and would be amazed if any remained by midday.

Oh and Horray! :D

:drinks:

Posted

Wow, snow settling on the roads now as well here, thats a very rare thing for my area being close to th thames and north sea, the only other time I've seen it in recent years was the Jan 04 snowfall and 03 snowfall and both went on to give 7-10cms in this general region, so I wouldn't mind a repeat. Still lots of fine snowfalkes tumbling down, real drifting starting to occur now beig exposed to the wind as my area is.

How heavy is the snow you have nanu?

atlanticflamethrower, same happened here but now starting to lay everywhere even roads!

2 inches now here as well, just keep on going snow!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Yes that extra radar is well out. no snow in leicestershire at all yet , unyet a potcode zoom shows ppn right over me and as far north as south derbyshire. From looking at the situation leicester has gone from being suppose to be the worst effected to looking like we might miss out.

Well with our track record (bugger all or years) what ya expect??? :drinks:

Posted
Errr....no it's not.

The pennines run across the spine of the country from Derbyshire northwards towards County Durham\East Cumbria up to the Borders.

I know exactly where the Pennines are PP, but thanks anyway for the geography lesson! I was making a reference to someone saying that there would be no laying snow south of the Pennines...

Posted
no snow here at all despite radar showing heavy snow??

I feel really bad for you mate. That's excruciating.

Been there, done that....

(Night night)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

So is the MetOffice radar. I am optimistic that the snow is about 10-15 miles SW of here as we speak.

I was hoping to have an excuse not to travel into Leicester tomorrow, but i've probably made my bed already as i've stayed up too late. I'll be knackered.

Standing in my favour, the temperature is still at -1C and everything is still frozen solid from the past 4 nights severe frosts, so every flake will count, if we get one.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
How heavy is the snow you have nanu?

its eased off a bit to what it was but every now and then you get another heavy burst.