Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake!

MKN

Posted

Was quite a big one! only just happened.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

I just felt that here too! It felt very strong as I live on the third floor. Quite a strong one it seems, I wonder where the centre was?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Just a couple of minutes ago, (10.55 ish) there seemed to be a tremor which not only did i notice, but my neighbour came and asked me if i felt it too!

Are we both going mad/was it a local thing (heavy lorry etc) but it really didn't seem that way and there was no noise to explain it...

Anyone else feel anything??

(Any links to seismographs etc would be appreciated)

Just spoken to a couple more people in the area that both said they felt something as well...Seems like there was a mild tremor.

Anyone that can back this up?

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

We felt it really strong up in Scarborough! Must have been very big!

It woke my parents up, and I thought someone was stood rocking my chair back and forth!

Edited by Gorky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Leeds.

WFT was it. EVERYONE is awake now.

The reoprting site is down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Also felt here in Leeds. My first ever one and hopefully the last. Not a pleasent experiance!

Posted

Just has the most freaky experience.

Sitting here on my computer when all of a sudden my flat started shaking. The quake only lasted around 1min but what a strange experience it was because just before everything started shaking a loud roaring sound occured which actually sounded like a train coming through my flat.

I shall post more when I have some details.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Echo the comments, Couldn't sleep anyway so my extra sensory perception is finely tuned :o

Like the bloomin exorcist for a few seconds plus the crack in the back garden's a few mill bigger!

Posted

OK guys I've not seen the models for a while... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Is anymore coming?

Never been as scared in my life. If that was Richter Scale #1 what the hell do Japan and LA go through (at Richter 6, etc.)?

Edited by Damien

Posted

We felt it here as well,at 12.53 ...was awake when the house just rumbled,the handles on the wardrobe knocked and we both got up,lasted for about 10 seconds or so,i had to put computer on to see if anything was on the net,but have only found posts here.Im sitting here shaking like a leaf !

Posted

Felt it here also about 00.58hrs... much more shaking than the Dudley earthquake. Felt the whole house shake horizontally, so a pretty strong S-wave!

BGS earthquake site is jammed! Ironically i'm up this late because i'm writing up my PhD... using British earthquakes from the past 25 years! Quite exciting. Given that the Dudley earthquake was a magnitude 4.7 ML, and that felt weaker here, suggests it could be significant. If it is indeed an earthquake.

Posted

oh god, I really hope for something even bigger.

That was pretty cool, lots of shaking of stuff, lasted a fair bit. At first I thought it was just a 40 ton truck coming off the nearby Brent Cross flyover, but oh no...it was something different.

My first quake, may it not be the last !

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Felt in Northampton 00.58

House shook for about 5 seconds! :o

Yes, had just dropped off, woke up with the bed and house shaking wondered what the h***, a dull roaring sound :o , must have lasted at least 5 seconds as you say, seemed much worse than the one we had about 5 years ago here. I hope know one has suffered damage.

Posted

Its on SKY news now. Wait and see who gets wheeled out from the BGS in Edinburgh. I know them all well. They have a much better response system in place now, I presented at their Annual Customer Group meeting and they got their bums kicked for a slow response to the Folkestone earthquake last April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
My god, was that an earthquake? Tossed me off the sofa. The whole house shook. Anyone know where the epicentre was?

I dunno about the epicentre, but i think it was here in Grimsby. I leave in a first floor flat and the house shock like crazy, my last earthquake was in Kavos, Greece last year and that was 5.7 on the richter scale, this 'felt' much the same, though nothing was falling off shelves or anything! So with my lack of knowledge i would say it was 5.0 easy. It must have last 20 seconds easily.

Relived it was an earthquake actually cos 3miles away there is loads of chemical factories. Felt like an explosion, no word of a lie!

W.O.W.

Edited by rikki