Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2008 / 2009 Your predictions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

7 days to fall ;)

Posted

It doesn't hurt to dream I suppose, but I think most of us accept that anything other than a mild Winter will be a bonus and even anything close to average will be most welcome.

After such a wet Summer there should be some degree of balance, but I expect that to manifest itself in the form of a drier, warmer Autumn, with the familiar mild Bartlett dominated pattern returning for the bulk of Winter.

Edited by jemtom

Posted

I say a cold auturm and early winter then getting mild towards the end

Posted
Nights are drawing in ...Eh! ;)

Aii gettin close now

Posted

i just found out i am have to Ontario from the 15th of december to the 13th of January, staying with family, should see some good snow there ;)

Posted
Nights are drawing in ...Eh! :huh:

They certainly are which is the worst thing about winter and in Janurary time i am looking forward for the days to get longer.

Apart from that i love winter and on selfish reasons only i want it to be a cold one, i hope people don't get affected by the rising gas prices when(or if) a cold snap/spell arrive though. As people said when people want a mild winter a average or below winter will occur. Be interesting how many people will be getting excited when they see a cold chart appearing or if a cold snap is due to arrive for certain.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
They certainly are which is the worst thing about winter and in Janurary time i am looking forward for the days to get longer.

Apart from that i love winter and on selfish reasons only i want it to be a cold one, i hope people don't get affected by the rising gas prices when(or if) a cold snap/spell arrive though. As people said when people want a mild winter a average or below winter will occur. Be interesting how many people will be getting excited when they see a cold chart appearing or if a cold snap is due to arrive for certain.

I think many will get excited if a cold snap is due to arrive for certain. They may say now that they dont want it to be cold cos of the high cost of gas prices,but when it comes down to it if a cold snap is on the horizon this winter i think that the excitment will take over regardless of the gas prices.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I suspect it will be like last winter mild and a lack of snow.

Posted

I follow the weather and I think it is going to be colder, surely if we have had a cooler summer the north sea has not got the warth in it this year even before the onset of winter. Perhaps somebody would care to explain if this scenario is a possibility because of the low temps we have had this summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I follow the weather and I think it is going to be colder, surely if we have had a cooler summer the north sea has not got the warth in it this year even before the onset of winter. Perhaps somebody would care to explain if this scenario is a possibility because of the low temps we have had this summer

North sea and waters around Scandinavia are very warm currently.

BFTP

Posted

Sea Temps, are not solely heated by the atmosphere. A huge amount of warm water comes from elsewhere in the world via currents. The sea also has a huge latency so for all we know we may well be seeing the results of a very warm summer some 50 years ago just off the coast of Sumtra

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Cold or Mild ? Id have to say a mixture of both as it usually is .. some colder days, some milder days.

My general opinion is purely based on Oceanic Nino Index data and is that we are going to have yet another winter typical of most years from the late 90's - present. That being little in way of snow and very random short lived events in November December and January with January being the coldest month and no doubt some areas may see the odd decent covering of snow like last year, not to mention some frosty nights, But nothing out of the ordinary really.

Best chance of a really snowy winter would come either from having a prolonged neutral enso staying neurtal (between La Nina & El Nino) through out the remainder of this year and into next year or weak - moderate la nina during the winter months which I cant see the latter happening as were already into neutral now.. so it depends how things progress.

Dont forget this is just my own simple & un-scientific opinion and nothing more :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

How about mild? I don't like it, but I guess things happen that way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

To be honest much too early to say. But I would have a go at saying it will be colder than average.

Posted

Why are there 2 threads for winter 2008\09?

If I must make a prediction: I will say that it will be above average temperature wise, average rainfall wise, and with little snow to be seen south of the borders and UK mountains. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm going to go through the latest data anologues over the next few days, but i think that current indications are for a much more seasonal Autumn but a typical even larger teapot with the main highlights being a continuation of the average December but a much more seasonal Jnuary and a cool February.