Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January CET

Kentish Man

Posted
Yes I must admit then that my 3.5C now looks a slightly wild call, although 0.2C isn't much I suppose!

To be fair Richard it won't be far off - minima stayed up on the 30th into 31st and it might just about scrape to 3.4 rounded (that needed about 5.2 for the day I think which is probably just out of reach given the maxima on the MO site) - so its down to adjustments from there.

History suggests 3.2 or 3.3 as an adjusted figure from here although there was a alrge discrepancy to Manley early on and some oddly high figures (and yes some very low minima unexpectedly recently too) so it could I guess go as low as 3.0.

I have not seen a Hadley upward adjustment for about 2 years so I think we are looking even now at 3.0 to 3.4 with no definitive idea of where it will land.

Not to be pedantic but I rather thought 3.5 was my call - as the basis of our friendly wager? You didn't start punting 3.5 as the base until then did you?

Posted
Manley's figure has come out as 3.2c (-1.0c)

First half 1.9c (-2.3c)

Second half 4.5c (+0.3c)

Very cold first half, rather mild second

Very dry first half, very wet second

Average sunshine first half, Very sunny second half

I wouldn't describe a +0.3C anomaly as rather mild!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
I wouldn't describe a +0.3C anomaly as rather mild!

Me neither! Relatively mild yes, but I would say that is pretty much average.

Posted

Pity the cold due today and tomorrow couldn't have arrived 2 days early as we probably would have recorded our first sub 3 month since Jan 1997. Alas, its just good to see a below average Jan CEt - after the very mild Januaries of recent years. My 2.9 degrees wasn't a bad shout.

Posted

OK, the provisional figure is out and is 3.3 - it has been generally pretty well called in from mid month, maybe a couple or so tenths above initial expectations

We await any adjustment to this base figure for the final

If this figure is not adjusted then Jan 2009 will be the second coldest month of the 21st century in the CET series

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

c'mon guys let's settle for 3.3oC - no personal interest involved of course :doh::(

bloody hell - why am I worried about the CET competetion at this time :)

Posted
Wow Strattos, you're surprassing yourself predicting the rest of the month before we've evn come close to the first half. It wouldn't take a remarkable turnaround to get below 2.0c considering where we're at, January 1979 had many westerly spells yet still ended up below freezing.

Anything between 1.0c and 5.5c is polssible from here.

Hats off to you OP, you pretty much nailed the ending point with your spread there, lol.

Posted

Good to see another CET in line (or even cooler) than the CET 71-2000 average. Who knows, this winter may turn out more normal rather than this mild tosh! :)

Some weather stations are reporting 2.9C for January 2009 in the midlands thats 1.3C below the 1971/2000 average, what is remarkable is some sites didn't record double figures and the highest min was just 5C, another winter month with above average sunshine figures too, winter months sunshine figures going up while summer months aren't, the less said about last August the better :)

Posted

Just looked at my monthly average temp-

December- 4.0c

Janurary- 2.9c

February (so far)- -0.5c

Posted

well, the CET figure has still not been updated however the England and Wales series came in at 2.8 - so I fancy the CET figure will be perhaps 3.1 or 3.2 after adjustment - both England and Wales had a 2.8 return for an 2009.

The SW appears to be the only area that acheived 3.3 so I can't see the CET being higher, although it is possible if the CET stations were relatively unrepresentative.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Guess they're quadruple checking the results as they're too cold. :)

Posted

The delay in issuing the final CET figure over the last two months is odd. If this continues through the year I would advocate returning to Climate UK and the Manley series for the next year of our competition starting in December 2009. It is only a light hearted competition anyway and if we continually have to wait to the middle of the following month half the entrants have lost interest.

Posted

What is causing it? I never remember them being this slow before.

Posted
The delay in issuing the final CET figure over the last two months is odd. If this continues through the year I would advocate returning to Climate UK and the Manley series for the next year of our competition starting in December 2009. It is only a light hearted competition anyway and if we continually have to wait to the middle of the following month half the entrants have lost interest.

Worth remembering the headline figure posted on Philip's home page is often different to that published in his CET series - not sure of the delay between the two being updated but January 2009 is not yet published -so a similar problem may exist with that method also

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still not updatd it.

This is taking longer than Decembers one.

Posted

Yeah, half way through February and still no January CET! Strange...