Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted

hi all, just to add the bbc are now seem to be making a big deal off the front coming up from france mid-day mon bringing heavy snow to the south-east pocket all the experts out there what do you think.

Posted
Good to see BBC charts show a whole snow event for Monday afternoon/night, all gone by Tuesday though

Damn, was that on News24? I thought they normally did their weather forecasts around the half past mark - was going to check in out in 5 mins or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I am also in that 10-20 cm region and would love for it to happen but have been dissapointed oh so many times.

If it did happen I'm sure London would come to a standstill. I remember a few years ago we had a heavy period of snow at evening rush hour that only dropped about 6 cm yet within minutes of it starting and rapidly settling the roads became totally grid locked.

One interesting (depending on your view) side effect was the traffic lights at the cross road near me did not know how to handle the stationary traffic and just kept changing colours as if they were in a disco!

I've just signed up to the NW radar, will be keeping a close eye on it tomorrow, hope it turns out to be a worthwhile purchase :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
If the flow is ene then its definitely likely that it will be a bit hazardous as that would bring some good snow totals to your location. My advice leave him at his mates put a good movie on or go and play in the snow either way take it as a good opportunity to have a bit of peace and quiet and watch whatever tv station you want without the remote control hogger! :D

sounds perfect!!!

Posted
Damn, was that on News24? I thought they normally did their weather forecasts around the half past mark - was going to check in out in 5 mins or so!

nah on their website, though i hope so on the News Channel :)

They get updates for their Monday-Thursday charts at 8pm and 8am, and their 8pm update is now visible on their site. Monday night looks tasty, with back-edge snow on the cold front for Tuesday :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/index.shtml

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
nah on their website, though i hope so on the News Channel :)

They get updates for their Monday-Thursday charts at 8pm and 8am, and their 8pm update is now visible on their site. Monday night looks tasty, with back-edge snow on the cold front for Tuesday :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/index.shtml

Lovely - thank you MW

Posted

Just seen the 21:30 BBC forcast with Peter Gibbs and for Monday there was no mention of any mild sector or snow turning to rain? Infact he said more widespread and heavy snow will move into the SE and EA from France as the days wears on (Chart had the SE all white). Im now totally confused!! :)

Will we have rain or snow during monday?

Matt :)

Posted
hmm Peter Gibbs refusing to go past midday Monday - can't blame him i suppose! :)

Did you see him mention some snow coming up from France? Has anyone noticed this in the models? Cos it was news to me!

Posted
Did you see him mention some snow coming up from France? Has anyone noticed this in the models? Cos it was news to me!

really? that's the "will it turn to rain" event that everyone's on about. The BBC are not expecting (to my knowledge) it to turn to rain on Monday night.

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/bbc_news24/

This is the forecast I just watched on news 24. Hope its the link you wanted.

Oops thats the live link, sorry, new to this will try again!

No probs bud i will watch the 21:56 forcast with intrest. thanks mate bring on the snow :):):):)

really? that's the "will it turn to rain" event that everyone's on about. The BBC are not expecting (to my knowledge) it to turn to rain on Monday night.

They did earlier on in the day but have now changed it back to heavy snow all forcasts goes with my mates breifing from the met office and some other data. all great news for us.

Posted

That chart TEITS posted has me on the 10-20 cm mark but also on the 5-10 cm but St Albans is higher then most places in herts so that could help plus i'm quite near the chilterns so...

Posted

This was during the day on Monday (I think) - see if its the same broadcaste now on News24....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Nope, don't think 110 Metres will calss as high ground, I'm 60 miles North of you but slightly lower 45 Metres, so the distance North will almost certainly not help. If the triple point is 50 miles east, we'll be under a LOT of snow, otherwise we'll get something to start with, but it may not last

Maybe my location doesn't class as high ground nationally, but it is the highest point in EA (we're nearish to Highpoint prison :) ) and the MetO warning for EA says, 'higher ground"... there isn't any higher ground in EA than where I am. So I'm going to keep that straw firmly clutched. Plus the fact there should be lying snow and it'll be dark when the warm sector arrives which should mitigate it a bit.

Posted

Lol

No-one is mentioning SE Essex, Might have to rip up the Weather books I have becuase I was always led to believe that anything East of North (Eg ENE) Wind would produce the goods for SE Essex, which is partly the reason I moved here, great views over the Estuary towards France for the Summer T-Storms and Snow from that rare and elusive Cold to our east, Steve has not mentioned us :( at all tonight so will have to see.

Just a point of Interest though

2003 - ENE Gave 8" (20cm) of Level Snow

1996 - ENE Gave 12" (30cm) of Level Snow

1991 - ENE Gave 15" (37.5cm) of level snow with 10ft Drifts whipped up by the biting Easterly Gale

1987 - ENE Gave 25" (63cm) of level Snow with 15-20ft Drifts

There are countless other ENE Events for this Region in my Weather Book with Snow Streamers that have delivered the goods so I am quietly confident, but no-one else seems to be for me :nonono:

Paul S

Posted

This was what i just mentioned a few posts up. Peter clearly said ''More organised and Persistant snow moving up from France during the course of the day'' He also had the whole of the SE covered in white!! This is why i asked about the mild sector, clearly the BBC do not see this being an issue are not forcasting it to turn to rain or sleet.

Matt.

Posted
This is my current thinking for Sunday-monday morning.

post-1766-1233435677_thumb.jpg

Good chart, but should be further West

Good to see BBC charts show a whole snow event for Monday afternoon/night, all gone by Tuesday though

Francis Wilson from Sky News Weather has indicated that the snow will continue into Tuesday.

Posted
There are countless other ENE Events for this Region in my Weather Book with Snow Streamers that have delivered the goods so I am quietly confident, but no-one else seems to be for me :(

Paul S

Im with you Paul, Im around 25miles northish of you in Maldon, on the estuary! Im confident this time round that we will indeed see something special. And Peter Gibbs has just enhanced my confidence by not mentioning any Mild Sector for Monday and showing a band of Heavy Snow moving up from France and the day wears on, whole of the SE was in white! ;)

Matt. :nonono:

Posted

Lol peter gibbs is a bit like marmite you either love him or hate him. I was getting all geared up for the 22:00pm forcast and it come on lit up a fag and he only went upto tommrow early evening. Come on peter give us a bit more. :nonono: