Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted

Yeah was worrying for a second there because the images on the online forcast seemed to down grade us..

Expecting the white out to begin very soon..

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Good afternoon,the meto radar is showing an area of precipitation in the s/w midlands and it is intensifying as you look at it.The more northward movement the stronger it becomes.quite a night for the north midlands and above awaits.

Yep we are in for one beast of a night. I'm staying up again I cannot resist. Due to arrive about 5pm to here. Central Northern England looks like the best place to be at the moment according to the radar, it's moving NNW and intensifying as it does so, with the worst likely to hit W and N Yorks initially (hence the "extreme" weather warning for these areas from the Meto!)

There is a risk of it turning to rain at low levels towards the end; hopefully this won't be too much of a problem, especially below 100-200m.

Posted
Good afternoon,the meto radar is showing an area of precipitation in the s/w midlands and it is intensifying as you look at it.The more northward movement the stronger it becomes.quite a night for the north midlands and above awaits.

Been snowing in Leeds for about 1/2 hour

not heavy enough to cover what has melted though

:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think 'the French depression' is now impacting on the showers north of the Humber and also throwing as veil of high cloud out infront of it. I think this is another shower here but we might just find it to be the start of the main event with showers now 'clumping together' before the frontal/persistant snow arrives.

Posted
. Central Northern England looks like the best place to be at the moment according to the radar
I've just measured, and I'm 4 inches from the west coast and 4 inches from the east coast, so I'm excited.

Posted
I think 'the French depression' is now impacting on the showers north of the Humber and also throwing as veil of high cloud out infront of it. I think this is another shower here but we might just find it to be the start of the main event with showers now 'clumping together' before the frontal/persistant snow arrives.

Yes I agree, the convective showers are showing signs of merging into streamers and being forced E-W. As the band arrives it may not be that noticeable other than it won't stop! As i say the heaviest area looks like being W Yorks and N Yorks so far... keep an eye on that radar.

Posted

Yes, I've been remembering what you said a little earlier, and it seems to be panning out exactly that way.

Got really big flakes falling now, and the showers appear to be merging together on the radar. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Yep we are in for one beast of a night. I'm staying up again I cannot resist. Due to arrive about 5pm to here. Central Northern England looks like the best place to be at the moment according to the radar, it's moving NNW and intensifying as it does so, with the worst likely to hit W and N Yorks initially (hence the "extreme" weather warning for these areas from the Meto!)

There is a risk of it turning to rain at low levels towards the end; hopefully this won't be too much of a problem, especially below 100-200m.

We have 3-4" at the moment.This takes me back to the times when you awoke to no kerb lines between road and paths just level snow.seems so long ago now :lol:

Posted

It has really got a move on since 12pm when it was still rolling into SE England. As for the proposed 'stall' ,well......there is a lot of snow still over mainland France heading our way so there will be a lot of precipitation spinning around it should it slow down/stall to our north. folk on other threads are saying it is not like 91' ,I'd beg to differ!!!

Posted
Just a few more from a little walk this time.

post-717-1233584694_thumb.jpg

post-717-1233584706_thumb.jpg

post-717-1233584726_thumb.jpg

post-717-1233584737_thumb.jpg

Could be 2 or 3 times as deep by Tuesday morning :D Few more shrs heading your way.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
The front is only an hour or less away! There is alot of cloud on the radar. Should give prolonged heavy snow

Hope so its sunny here at mo,Hope we get a good dumping sooooooooon

Posted
Could be 2 or 3 times as deep by Tuesday morning :( Few more shrs heading your way.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

I've not really listened to a forecast today. All I saw was some GFS thing suggesting rain, but we're really due another dumping in our neck of the woods?

Posted

There was a heavy shower here at about 1pm but since then it has been dry and fairly sunny. The altitude where I live of 200ft makes the snow later today quite marginal but its great to see some of the really snow starved areas getting their share.

Posted

The worst of this band is too far W :p

It might miss us by 20 miles (the heaviest stuff). The concern begins...

Posted
The worst of this band is too far W :p

It might miss us by 20 miles (the heaviest stuff). The concern begins...

You realise that this band was never meant to be too heavy just yet... more still pushing in from N France... strong intensification will continue for 3-4 hours yet.

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

its arrived again , sun hass been out for the last few hrs, but now the SNow is back WAY HAY

Posted

I'm also thinking that as the higher cloud runs in it'll 'cap off' the shower activity. I've now had a lull with enough breaks in the cloud to see upper level cloud moving NW from the SE (with the lower stuff still roughly flowing from the E to the W).

For those thinking they'll miss out on the fun remember the winds will turn cyclonic as the depression moves north giving a variety of directions for the snow to approach from as the next 16hrs progresses!

Posted

post-4475-1233587346_thumb.jpg

nigel

Posted

The large band of precipitation looks on collision course with Leeds/Bradford! :D + Harrogate!!

Edited by Lakes Tom

Posted

Here she comes...