Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.
Its been pretty dissapointing in Newcastle upon tyne so far. Had some, but not much and its pretty wet. Hope the main band moving north delivers some prolonged snow

It would appear that you can be too near the coast which is only to be expected. In Hexham just 16 miles inland from Newcastle we have 10cm of crisp snow and temp is 0.8C and dewpoint -0.3C. To those who have missed the snow I don't think you can call it bad forecasting as it would be rare for everyone to get the same snow. This is probably as close as it gets. Obviously being away from coast (east coast in this case) and having a little altitude helps. For Newcastle City I guess there would be an impact from city centre heat?

I hope those of you currenly disppointed get something tonight or later in the week.

John

Posted

Currently in the middle of a blizzard and I can't see across the road the snow is that heavy!! The wind has also really picked up. My hubby is still on his way home luckily with walking boots and waterproofs - I suspect he might be abandoning car a few miles from home :)

AS

Posted

Being sent home from work at 4.30

has been heavy enough for the last 20 mins to cover what had melted earlier from today

snow flakes are not that big it has just been heavy and constant

good bye and be careful

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

OK scrap that it's snowing really really hard out there! I'm getting pasted :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Been snowing on and off now its gone rainy sleety and snow in heaviier burst starting to give up on tonight

Posted
It would appear that you can be too near the coast which is only to be expected. In Hexham just 16 miles inland from Newcastle we have 10cm of crisp snow and temp is 0.8C and dewpoint -0.3C. To those who have missed the snow I don't think you can call it bad forecasting as it would be rare for everyone to get the same snow. This is probably as close as it gets. Obviously being away from coast (east coast in this case) and having a little altitude helps. For Newcastle City I guess there would be an impact from city centre heat?

I hope those of you currenly disppointed get something tonight or later in the week.

John

Good post john, I am off to Brunton in Gosforth tonight and would expect any snow to turn sleety later but in Ponteland I guess at 200 ft asl there is a chance of it staying as snow,you should be fine with several more inches by morning.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Its been pretty dissapointing in Newcastle upon tyne so far. Had some, but not much and its pretty wet. Hope the main band moving north delivers some prolonged snow

Im quite happy with what we have had , im only 10mins away from Toon

post-4475-1233592500_thumb.jpg

post-4475-1233592596_thumb.jpg

those were taken this morning

Posted

It looks heavy now but the flakes are tiny...

Is this all there is to the band? It was very heavy for a while but the "reds" on the radar have passed away, leaving behind a huge area of light snow. Let's hope this intensifies as the night goes on, or it's going to be very disappointing I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Is this all there is to the band? It was very heavy for a while but the "reds" on the radar have passed away, leaving behind a huge area of light snow. Let's hope this intensifies as the night goes on, or it's going to be very disappointing I feel.

At least your still gerrin snow all im getting is rain and sleet with snow in heavier burst

Posted

Part of the band still yet to leave the North of France... the whole band is perhaps slightly behind schedule at the moment.

Posted

Well, I work in South Shields and for the last 20 mins it.s been pouring with rain !

I live in Ryton, near Blaydon and am leaving for home shortly. Anybody know what it,s like over that way atm.

Ta,

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Persistent snow seems to be approaching Durham now, hopefully it will stay as snow. Had a quick measure and we have 5cm/2 inches on the flat and found a drift of about 8cm/3 inches.

Posted
Well, I work in South Shields and for the last 20 mins it.s been pouring with rain !

I live in Ryton, near Blaydon and am leaving for home shortly. Anybody know what it,s like over that way atm.

Ta,

Karl

Light snowfall here in Pelaw, i'm around 8-10 miles from South Shields so hopefully my slight inland spot will help to keep the rain away but i do have my doubts.

Saw some thundersnow today at 9:30 where i saw a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder during a heavy snow shower.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Ta,

Karl

Evening Karl i'm pretty sure there will be snow at Ryton well away from the east coast, sure enough after some heavy snow showers this morning/early afternoon South Shields has been getting a right 'ole' mixture of rain sleet and snow..!! Not sure if tonights ppn will be snow on the coast probably a mixture, best bet for coastal snow is usually from a northerly/nor'easterly...

Posted

Can someone give me a second opinion on this please...

post-5260-1233594688_thumb.png

Notice the heaviest of the precip has now passed away from here. Following behind is a long spell of light snow (tiny flakes) adding about 1cm.

Is it supposed to intensify or stall at some point? As far as I can see, it's nothing like what was forecast. The band was supposed to be over NE England with the heaviest stuff in the E, instead of which, it's traveling almost E-W with the heaviest stuff moving into Lancs now. Anyone else agree? It's extremely quiet on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.
Can someone give me a second opinion on this please...

post-5260-1233594688_thumb.png

Notice the heaviest of the precip has now passed away from here. Following behind is a long spell of light snow (tiny flakes) adding about 1cm.

Is it supposed to intensify or stall at some point? As far as I can see, it's nothing like what was forecast. The band was supposed to be over NE England with the heaviest stuff in the E, instead of which, it's traveling almost E-W with the heaviest stuff moving into Lancs now. Anyone else agree? It's extremely quiet on here.

I think the feature the forecasters are talking about is yet to appear (not sure though). However I am worried that the temperature will not favour anyone near the coast or without any altitude. We are at 0.6C currently and the main feature is about to strike.

John

I think the feature the forecasters are talking about is yet to appear (not sure though). However I am worried that the temperature will not favour anyone near the coast or without any altitude. We are at 0.6C currently and the main feature is about to strike.

John

Hi John,

My parents live out towards Hexham, keep me posted with what happens that way.

Still Rain in Newcastle.

Cheers,

Posted
Evening Karl i'm pretty sure there will be snow at Ryton well away from the east coast, sure enough after some heavy snow showers this morning/early afternoon South Shields has been getting a right 'ole' mixture of rain sleet and snow..!! Not sure if tonights ppn will be snow on the coast probably a mixture, best bet for coastal snow is usually from a northerly/nor'easterly...

Cheers NL, we had about 5cm on the ground this morning in Ryton, I am confident that it will have been slightly topped up today and like you I would think that as there is a lack of a genuine mild sector it is just coastal warming that is causing the rain in Shields.

Note to Geordiesnow, I too heard thundersnow this morning in Ryton and last night at about 10-00pm we had a flash of lightning and a very loud clap. Nice !

Regards,

Karl