Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted

Conditions have changed a bit here over the last hour,the wind has picked up and there is persistant light/moderate snow,so quite nasty on the roads for people coming home from work,with snow blowing around.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
Cheers NL, we had about 5cm on the ground this morning in Ryton, I am confident that it will have been slightly topped up today and like you I would think that as there is a lack of a genuine mild sector it is just coastal warming that is causing the rain in Shields.

Note to Geordiesnow, I too heard thundersnow this morning in Ryton and last night at about 10-00pm we had a flash of lightning and a very loud clap. Nice !

Regards,

Karl

I would of thought that aswell bcause South Shields is right on the coast so i would of expected rain there anyway, not sure what the PPN is here at the moment, it looks like rain too me but the PPN is pretty light so its hard too tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I don't think it's looking good. We need some heavy snow to set in to pin the temperature down otherwise I fear the temperature will rise too much before it really starts.

Posted

its 0.0c here now. Flakes starting to become bigger but still is a bit rainy. What is going on ?

Posted
Can someone give me a second opinion on this please...

post-5260-1233594688_thumb.png

Notice the heaviest of the precip has now passed away from here. Following behind is a long spell of light snow (tiny flakes) adding about 1cm.

Is it supposed to intensify or stall at some point? As far as I can see, it's nothing like what was forecast. The band was supposed to be over NE England with the heaviest stuff in the E, instead of which, it's traveling almost E-W with the heaviest stuff moving into Lancs now. Anyone else agree? It's extremely quiet on here.

Thats whats concerning me :( , does any one know what will happen?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
its 0.0c here now. Flakes starting to become bigger but still is a bit rainy. What is going on ?

We're heading for a disaster. No rain here, but to me it looks like the front is pathetic after an initial decent band. Where is everyone? This thread is dead.

Posted

So where is the warm sector currentley?? I hope it has passed at becoming very marginal for snow, temps rising -0.5c dew point -0.8c not looking good :(

Posted
We're heading for a disaster. No rain here, but to me it looks like the front is pathetic after an initial decent band. Where is everyone? This thread is dead.

The thread is dead because everybody is too depressed to post.

Its fizzled out, like the front.

Posted

The BBC shows nothing W of the Pennines, but it's in the Irish Sea?!

This is very very odd, I seriously hope the precip to the SE intensifies as it moves NW. Otherwise the calls for 40cm over the Pennines look ridiculous. Eern Pennines were supposed to be the worst hit area!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hi

Know i am in wrong Region.But the snow seems to have taken a different course

NW England getting Battered by Blizzards ATM Liverpool and Manchester becoming

Badly effected.

Posted

GFS 12z doesn't have the heavy stuff arriving for another 3 or 4 hours.

It then stalls over northern england until morning,so i guess this is where they are getting these 30cms of snow forecasts from.

Ultra-short range for using the models,but lets hope gfs is right.

Posted

Light snow here(not lying) with the temperature at 0.3c but I do not know what the dew point is,I noticed on the MO radar that Albermarle which is higher and further inland than my location was reporting light rain about 30 minutes ago.

Posted
The BBC shows nothing W of the Pennines, but it's in the Irish Sea?!

This is very very odd, I seriously hope the precip to the SE intensifies as it moves NW. Otherwise the calls for 40cm over the Pennines look ridiculous. Eern Pennines were supposed to be the worst hit area!!!!!!

Be patient, itl come! my biggest fear is of it turning to rain lol..

I think a feature/zone of convergence is expected to push up or develope over north east england soon. As this happens the precipitation should just intesify and expand over us./ :(

Must admit, Im getting rather inpatient too. From this event thats promised so much, im still waiting for it to get going..

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

GFS 12z doesn't have the heavy stuff arriving for another 3 or 4 hours.

It then stalls over northern england until morning,so i guess this is where they are getting these 30cms of snow forecasts from.

Ultra-short range for using the models,but lets hope gfs is right.

Thing is, the GFS is already wrong!

18.00hrs tonight:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs063.gif

The reality:

post-5260-1233596443_thumb.png

It's much further W, we need to accept it... some precip is intensifying over Lincs and the Wash and this may help us, but I'd move the "greatest risk" zone 50-70 miles further W than it was... at least.

Edited by Yeti

Posted

Just got back from Otley and reading the last couple of pages I'm wondering whether I'm in a different snowiverse to everyone else. I only JUST got through from Headingly because of the heavy snow. The roads are barely open. Truely dreadful conditions.

Posted
Thing is, the GFS is already wrong!

18.00hrs tonight:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs063.gif

The reality:

post-5260-1233596443_thumb.png

It's much further W, we need to accept it... some precip is intensifying over Lincs and the Wash and this may help us, but I'd move the "greatest risk" zone 50-70 miles further W than it was... at least.

Well if we get no more tonight then a let down, but 10cm of lying snow allready aint half bad

if this pulled of i wud be amazed http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/24hr.shtml?world=4542

Just got back from Otley and reading the last couple of pages I'm wondering whether I'm in a different snowiverse to everyone else. I only JUST got through from Headingly because of the heavy snow. The roads are barely open. Truely dreadful conditions.

yup similar here the cars are down to a crawl

Posted

Yes it's been bad but the problem is that looks like the end. There was very heavy snow for a while here, but that has sadly passed away, and unless more disturbance in the front presents itself, that's it for heavy snow now. I'm not writing it off yet, but we seriously need the band to intensify or there will be a lot of disappointed ppl from Yorkshire tomorrow.