Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Found it.

Talk about no detail, that is comical in it's lack of anything.

I know,its certainly no net weather thats for sure. I only go onto it usually if there is a chance of snow and look at their radar,so over the coming days their radar might come in handy at least to see where the precip is.

Posted

John Eagleton's forecast at 9.30pm was excellent tonight.

He mentioned snow showers in the east on Monday, with strong potential for significant snow overnight on Monday into Tuesday.

He stated he was very uncertain at this point, but would be very surprised if it did not snow on Tuesday.

All in all, the forecast, was synoptically, a classic.

Very very interesting wintry weather now coming up, possibly the best in a long time.

Edited by Snowaddict

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=4

Above are the weather warnings for UK and NI.

If I were to use this for Ireland I would put the following Counties under Be Prepared and Be Aware.

Be Prepared

Dublin, Meath, Wicklow & Wexford

Be Aware

Louth, Kildare, Cavan, Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford & Cork

Posted

This snow potential is looking very,very good and its getting closer,only 24 hours too go-I really hope we get some lying snow here in south dublin,none since 2001!!!!??? :doh:

John Eagleton's forecast at 9.30pm was excellent tonight.

He mentioned snow showers in the east on Monday, with strong potential for significant snow overnight on Monday into Tuesday.

He stated he was very uncertain at this point, but would be very surprised if it did not snow on Tuesday.

All in all, the forecast, was synoptically, a classic.

Very very interesting wintry weather now coming up, possibly the best in a long time.

glad to here,the 6.30 one was excellent aswell,it was along the same lines as the 9.30 forecast :lol:

SP

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted

I also think parts of east Ireland should be aware what can happen in these easterly's

A streamer formed off the Irish sea last year from nothing and gave Belfast a foot of snow. The met office didnt get warnings out till 2 hours after the event.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-.../20080641299278

The Beauty of an easterly. You could get a suprise

Edited by shrike

Posted
I also think parts of east Ireland should be aware what can happen in these easterly's

A streamer formed off the Irish sea last year from nothing and gave Belfast a foot of snow. The met office didnt get warnings out till 2 hours after the event.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-.../20080641299278

Remember this well!! Was feeling really jealous that everyone else was getting the snow when all of a sudden we had inches of snow in a couple of hours. Pretty amazing!!

Posted

The 3-5 day outlook this morning from the met is excellent! They seem to have dropped the idea of the precip turning to rain on monday night! Im on the mobile here so i cant paste it, heres the link www.met.ie

Edited by minus86BriJ

Posted

Absolutley right there Shrike. Though all i got was a slight covering from that event and eight miles down the road is snowed in! I think you are going to do quite well out of this.

Remember this well!! Was feeling really jealous that everyone else was getting the snow when all of a sudden we had inches of snow in a couple of hours. Pretty amazing!!

Ronan, you shouldn't be disappointed either.

Its a lovely morning, cold and overcast but it has a sense of anticipation off it. Slight brownish tinge off the clouds. Time to just sit back and watch what does happen.

Good luck everyone! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

omg :) jsut viewed the models and met eirann website, and by golly looks like some places are gonna get a good dumping of snow this week. noone is immune. bring it on. :):):)

Posted

Yea looks like anywhere really could get snow, but here on the east coast (Wicklow for me) is going to get some snow... how much is another question but something is brewing :) :w00t: very cold here this morning so going to keep an eye on netweather extra radar :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Meto are still saying it'll be a wintry mix rather than snow, and they are still showing the more persistant band on Tuesday to be of Sleet turning to rain. Hell even tommorow afternoon they give me light rain showers lol! I don't know what to believe now.

Posted
Absolutley right there Shrike. Though all i got was a slight covering from that event and eight miles down the road is snowed in! I think you are going to do quite well out of this.

Ronan, you shouldn't be disappointed either.

Its a lovely morning, cold and overcast but it has a sense of anticipation off it. Slight brownish tinge off the clouds. Time to just sit back and watch what does happen.

Good luck everyone! :)

Know exactly what you mean. Got up about an hour ago, looked out and just had a wierd feeling. Thought to myself, that looks like its drying for snow.lol.

Posted

Met Eireanns 3 day outlook has been updated. It's both and upgrade in terms of snowfall amounts on Monday but a downgrade as they are forecasting it to turn to rain on Tuesday. They obviously feel the warm sector to the south east will influence the upper air temps.

Very cold throughout. MONDAY NIGHT, TUESDAY, TUESDAY NIGHT: Outbreaks of sleet or snow in eastern parts will gradually extend to many other areas - with snow cover becoming more widespread, and with signifcant accumulations possible locally - BUT should turn largely to rain or sleet during Tuesday and Tuesday night. Sharp frost in places at night where skies are clear. Northeast to north winds, becoming variable or southeast. WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY : Further scattered outrbreaks of rain or sleet on Wednesday (snow unlikely though still possible). Becoming dry and clear in many areas Wednesday night or Thursday, but scattered hail or snow showers also, especially in the northwest and west. Sharp frost in places both nights. Winds becoming mainly northerly in direction

Q

Posted

Good luck everyone! :lol:

Yea it was bone dry here as well couldnt believe it 12 miles up the road it was winter paradise.

I think you guys further inland could do better for lying snow as being on the coast I don't think it will settle.

Anyway with the met-office warnings chopping and changing every 5minutes they have taken us off a watch for tomorrow but this will probably change again later.

Lookin forward to the next few days though, Ronan will probably end up with 2 foot of snow as he usually gets lucky :lol:

Posted

Well I am prepared for a major let down in terms of snowfall amounts. It will be snow initially however looks like quickly turning to sleet and snow along the Northern Irish sea coasts.

Things are still marginal and the track of the low could still change providing colder upper air and a massive dumping. Obviously the better altitude you have the better.

Towards the end of the week things look much better though.

Posted
Things are still marginal and the track of the low could still change providing colder upper air and a massive dumping.

Yes, maybe for once we might get lucky. Lets hope so

Posted
Hi does anybody think that the precipitation just about to hit the irsh sea could get heavier crossing into ireland -n ireland just like last year when parts of the east got a foot!!!

This is a similar situation, so yes it may happen. Very difficult to forecast though.

Posted
Yea it was bone dry here as well couldnt believe it 12 miles up the road it was winter paradise.

I think you guys further inland could do better for lying snow as being on the coast I don't think it will settle.

Anyway with the met-office warnings chopping and changing every 5minutes they have taken us off a watch for tomorrow but this will probably change again later.

Lookin forward to the next few days though, Ronan will probably end up with 2 foot of snow as he usually gets lucky :D

I really hope your right. Even if theres very little snow at lower levels i always jump in the car and head to the Glenshane. Its amazing up there in the snow. I take the dog and head up through the forest, its a beautiful walk.

Posted

Radar is showing some increased activity. :)

Outside is cold and feels bone dry.

I see the Met Office has updated its warnings for NI. Heavy snow Tue, Wed and Thur. Thats a bit of a change form earlier.

Love those guys! :D

Edited by Baltic Regions

Posted

Showers starting to develope in the Irish sea now. Not expecting snow just yet but you never know. Tuesday looking increasing like a nationwide event is brewing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Well i travelled from Carrick to Belfast and back (short msg) during which time there were some very light flurries. However what amazed me was 3 gritting lorries on the M2 heading out of Belfast. It is so dry the wind and traffic is just blowing the grit to the side of the road. What also surprises me is the snow isnt forecast for NI on any forecast ive seen and the temp isnt forecast to be particularly low. 3C at present although D/P at -2c. This i dont understand as the 850's are forecast to be between -5 and o/night -10C. Also the air is so dry and wind so strong a frost wont form certainly on the roads so why the DOE are frantically gritting the roads does surprise me. Maybe they fear the Irish Sea effect again which wasnt forecast a year or two back. I dont know maybe someone could shed some light on something i clearly seemed to have missed or do they (the DOE) know something the general public here dont.

Posted

Yeah Dublin and parts of Meath have just had there first snow flakes and Met Eireann expecting "serious disruption" in the Greater Dublin Area toward morning and tomorrow. Some pretty awesome scenes alreay in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi The eagle,

Snow very close now. Temp here 4.1 but dew point is -3.7

Hard to believe that it can snow at this temperature, hope it drops soon and quickly.

Posted
Hi The eagle,

Snow very close now. Temp here 4.1 but dew point is -3.7

Hard to believe that it can snow at this temperature, hope it drops soon and quickly.

Yeah I don't understand the temp atm. The DP is more then fine for snow. The models suggest the temp should be on the verge of dropping like a stone. I think the wind is making it stubborn. So far though......im near the sea so I need the mercury to fall. So far ive had graupel. I was not expecting snow till after midnight anyway but I hope the temps start to fall. Im sure they will.

Edited by The Eagle