Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted
The East is in for another pasting tomorrow by the looks of things. The North should get a disruptive amount tonight aswell.

Very much so The Eagle.

GFS 06Z also agrees with this line of thought, with some very low maxes being indicated in eastern and southeastern areas tomorrow, as well as fairly widespread snow risk.

Seems to be very similar to the evolution that has occured in recent days.

I've had the best snowfall here in years, the hills in parts of county Kilkenny have drifts of 10 or more inches, with general depths of 5 to 6 inches in these higher regions.

Truly excellent snowy spell and hopefully more to come.

SA. :D

Edited by Snowaddict

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
Very much so The Eagle.

GFS 06Z also agrees with this line of thought, with some very low maxes being indicated in eastern and southeastern areas tomorrow, as well as fairly widespread snow risk.

Seems to be very similar to the evolution that has occured in recent days.

I've had the best snowfall here in years, the hills in parts of county Kilkenny have drifts of 10 or more inches, with general depths of 5 to 6 inches in these higher regions.

Truly excellent snowy spell and hopefully more to come.

SA. :D

And guess who's driving to Dublin tomorrow :(

Hopefully looking good, might get the train but that wouldn't be half the fun :D

Posted

Though ME use that ecm Eagle,they don't seem enthused...

"bur scattered wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow also, especially in the north and east. Max. 1 to 5 Celsius."

The "bur" is their own typo.

I'm of the view that it has been so long since these conditions have prevailed in Ireland and the fact that they are so rare that there is no duty forecaster in ME who has enough experience to know what is possible here when it's marginal.

Combine thta with the hassle they got from Donegal a few years ago when they forecasted snow and it didnt happen and Mr Eagletons snow forecast 3 years ago that was actually rain and there you have it.

We'll do as good a job ourselves.

Posted

Still bemused by the lack of warning for snow in NI for tonight. The west coast of scotland has a warning out yet we seem to be getting just as much snow, if not more than them.

Indeed, it looks a very snowy affair for NI throughout the next 6/7 days.

Posted
Still bemused by the lack of warning for snow in NI for tonight. The west coast of scotland has a warning out yet we seem to be getting just as much snow, if not more than them.

Indeed, it looks a very snowy affair for NI throughout the next 6/7 days.

I was thinking the same thing until I saw the graphics on the BBC news channel at 11.55 which showed the front fragmenting before it reached us with just some patchy snow on the North Coast - I hope this is just a snag with the graphics rather than anything else, but it would tie in with the lack of warnings :mellow:

This whole week has kind of dented my confidence in seeing anything wintry over the next few days I must say - the setups have always looked terrific but nothing has yet materialized, at least not here in Bangor anyway.

Still, I am going to keep optimistic :cray:

Posted
I was thinking the same thing until I saw the graphics on the BBC news channel at 11.55 which showed the front fragmenting before it reached us with just some patchy snow on the North Coast - I hope this is just a snag with the graphics rather than anything else, but it would tie in with the lack of warnings :mellow:

This whole week has kind of dented my confidence in seeing anything wintry over the next few days I must say - the setups have always looked terrific but nothing has yet materialized, at least not here in Bangor anyway.

Still, I am going to keep optimistic :cray:

The 6z GFS intensified the precipitation though? A guess another let down on the cards then.

Maybe get some frontal snow from the atlantic at the weekend.

Posted
The 6z GFS intensified the precipitation though? A guess another let down on the cards then.

I just don't know any more! It's going to be a case of waiting to see what actually falls from the sky when the time comes.....

I'll be keeping a close eye on the forecasts at 1.30 anyway just to see what their latest thoughts are :mellow:

Posted

I think you will get snow tonight. There is descrepencies between the models about the precip tonight but I think the UKMO is probrably right. Could be a fair amount of snow in Ulster I think. Begins this evening and should last a good few hours. Im not saying a dumping but I do think there will be a disruptive amount.

Posted
I think you will get snow tonight. There is descrepencies between the models about the precip tonight but I think the UKMO is probrably right. Could be a fair amount of snow in Ulster I think. Begins this evening and should last a good few hours. Im not saying a dumping but I do think there will be a disruptive amount.
The BBC one lunchtime forecast now wouldnt inspire confidence though.Some snow from that yes.

Then dry.

Not even a shower over NI.

They had one shower into the East coast south of Dublin with a bit of white in it briefly and that was it...

Just seen the BBC Wales forecast where they are expecting a lot of snow throughout wales from the weather system coming through there tonight.

Theri precip maps showed rain over Eastern Ireland but not much activity-most of them causing ships to have umberella's really.

Meanwhile ME expect thunder with the showers in the East tomorrow with sleet and snow.

If it's anything like the thundersnow in Arklow on Monday where 3 inches came down in an hour,I'll take that!

Someones wrong though.

Posted

Yes - the amount of snow has definitely been downgraded in the latest forecasts - Cecilia on the local BBC1 forecast said there would be snow tonight - as much as 5-10cm, but mainly in the Northern half of the province. The front looked like it fragmented as it moved down from the North Coast with no precipitation shown for here at all :lol:

She also said there would be more snow at the weekend - the 5 day graphic showed heavy snow on Sunday with a temperature of 6C

Posted
Issued at 04 February 2009 - 13:39

Severe Weather Alert

Cold and frosty in all areas overnight with icy roads. Some sleet and snow showers also mainly over Ulster, but also in parts of Connaught and north Leinster later tonight and along the east coast before morning.

3 or 4 cms of snow possible.

Valid from 1800 on 4/2/09 to 1000 on 5/2/09

3 to 4 cms means 8 cms :)

Posted

Weather warning from the UKMO:

Northern Ireland:

Co Antrim

Co Derry

Co Tyrone

Heavy Snow 1700 Wed 4 1000 Thu 5

Sleet and snow will continue to edge south this evening and will persist overnight. Accumulations of 2 to 5cm are expected with up to 10cm possible, mainly on higher ground.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Watch (NI) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1509 Wed 4 Feb

Posted

Just read the wrning on the met office site.

They really have left things to the wire here. Radar shows this as snow but warning is for sleet as well. Lets sit back and prepare for some lamp post watching!

.........Again.........!

Posted
Just read the wrning on the met office site.

They really have left things to the wire here. Radar shows this as snow but warning is for sleet as well. Lets sit back and prepare for some lamp post watching!

.........Again.........!

You are in a good position there - unfortunately the warning doesn't cover County Down :(

Posted
You are in a good position there - unfortunately the warning doesn't cover County Down :rofl:

I'm keeping my powder dry!

I'll celebrate if it comes but not going to excite myself needlessly.

Having said that, BRING IT ON!

Posted

im living beside a mountain beween coleraine and derry which got snow on monday night which still has some snow this shows how cold it is, i really hope that the snow that were supposed to get tonight will come should lie the ground is sooooooooooo dry here can anyone make a guess on how much we might get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

not sure how much you'll get dice, but the precipitation should be about to clip where you are so give us a heads up on its intensity and we can tell you how much to expect.

Posted
Light rain being reported at Malin Head. This was expected in fairness. Should turn sleety snowy inland and after dark.

There has been light snow in Derry for the past half hour. Really hope we get a covering tonight.

Snow starting to get heavier now!! Its going to be an interesting night!! :D:yahoo:

Posted

ronan is it stopped snowing derry because here beside the benevenagh mountain it hasnt even started but as i look up to the mountain it looks as though its starting to is it?

Posted

yeah thanzx could you please post a radar picture of the snow?

Posted

roanan is there any possibility that it will turn to snow because i think its light drizzly rain down here and snow above about 50m even though its 1.5c

Posted

Think u'll be fine. Think everyone along the north cost could do ok later. I'm at 95m. Snow has kind of fizzled a bit now but at least it gives me hopes for tonight. Don't think the lamp post outside my house has ever had anybody stare at it as much before :rolleyes: