Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Ireland

Posted

Cheers for that shrike. It has in the past 10 mins got a bit heavier. I should have been in my bed but think i'll do a bit more lamp post watching for another while. The stuff thats falling now is really blowing around. Temp must have risen a bit to as all the hail that was lying earlier has mostly melted.

Posted
Cheers for that shrike. It has in the past 10 mins got a bit heavier. I should have been in my bed but think i'll do a bit more lamp post watching for another while. The stuff thats falling now is really blowing around. Temp must have risen a bit to as all the hail that was lying earlier has mostly melted.

Yes I headin off as well but lookin at the charts tonight game on for Wednesday night into Thursday and Friday when this Northerly hits our shores.

Good week ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Got a very light dusting here in Cork at around 6 and it is still on the roof tops and cars even now. Very cold though in a crappy student house with just electric heating!

Posted
Got a very light dusting here in Cork at around 6 and it is still on the roof tops and cars even now. Very cold though in a crappy student house with just electric heating!

Ouch - sounds like you are in for a rough couple of weeks if BBC monthly forecast is anything to go by:

Monday 2 February 2009 to Sunday 8 February

“Cold with heavy snow.”

A cold week in prospect with widespread frosts, bitter winds and potentially some very disruptive snowfall.

We start the week in a raw easterly airstream, reaching us all the way from Arctic Russia. Through Monday this will progressively push snow showers to all but the most sheltered western fringes of the UK.

Eastern areas of the UK will be worst affected by the showers, with accumulations up to about 10 inches (25cm) possible in places. The wind will mean a risk of blizzards and drifting but also adds a significant wind chill.

Through the second half of Monday a weather system from northern France starts to extend into the UK and this then brings the potential of yet more heavy falls.

This system will spread right across the UK Monday and into Tuesday producing again the best part of foot of snow in some areas as it does so.

Tuesday and Wednesday will see the falling snow become focused across Scotland and Northern Ireland. England and Wales however are likely to still have lying snow and ice to contend with.

Thursday and Friday are the set to see the wind swing round to a northerly direction, bringing air straight from the Arctic, keeping us all cold and pushing the snow risk back into England and Wales.

Monday 9 February 2009 to Sunday 15 February 2009

"Remaining cold with risk of further snow."

This weeks weather looks set to be dominated by low pressure and winds from the east or northeast.

This factors combined will give cold and unsettled conditions. Eastern areas will face or sleet, maybe even turning to snow at times. Sheltered western areas will be comparatively much drier and brighter.

Day time highs will struggle and the nights promise very sharp frosts.

Monday 16 February 2009 to Sunday 01 March 2009

“Cold with wintry flurries.”

Not a lot of change is predicted in the synoptic set up across the UK for the second half of the month.

Conditions look set to remain cold courtesy of easterly winds and once again unsettled thanks to the continued influence of low pressure areas.

Posted
  • Location: Hillsborough, Co Down (100m) - home. East London (15m) - uni

Still moderate snow falling here in Hillsborough. Here's a couple of pictures from about an hour ago (sorry for the poor quality - they're from a phone)

post-7956-1233620578_thumb.jpg

post-7956-1233620686_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Snowing moderatly here,topping up my lying snow :)

Temp at 0.2c (i wish it would get below zero)

Posted

Its been snowing consistently since 4pm here and its still at it out there(heaviest between 4 and 8 ). I was just out for a walk and it seems the temps have gone up and the dreaded sound of dripping water seems to be building. Does anyone know if theres a chance this is just a mild interlude or something?

Edited by minus86BriJ

Posted

Unfortunately all my lovely snow has now turned to sleet here :) I suspect there'll be nothing left on the ground by the morning. Dewpoint risen to 1C, although the air temperature has remained at 1C.

Posted

I had 3 inches of snow at about 6am but it quickly disappeared. All in all a bit of a wash out. Fingers crossed Thursday night or Friday night deliver a bit more.

Posted

It's stopped snowing here in co wicklow now-roads are a nightmare.

A good 4 inches fell yesterday and some more this morning.

No camera but this is from about 10 miles away posted on boards.ie and pretty much describes the scene here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment....mp;d=1233652632

Posted
Cold air has seemingly come back in with snow reports coming back.

Another few inches reported in Blanch.

Meanwhile by the sea, its wet and sunny!

Yes - the dew point has fallen markedly here in the last hour from +1.8C to -3.5C at the moment (still falling)

Annoyingly, the fall has also come at the same time as the clearance so just as the rain was stopping here, it turned to snow for a few minutes :doh:

Posted

White out conditions here in Arklow.

Snow flakes the size of small bungalows :D

Really heavy stuff and thats coming down on the not so tardy amounts we already have :doh:

Posted

Theres been more snow so far this morning here than yesterday morning, when I kept getting that soft hail stuff. Theyve been very light so far however, with very small flakes.

Posted
White out conditions here in Arklow.

Snow flakes the size of small bungalows :D

Really heavy stuff and thats coming down on the not so tardy amounts we already have :D

Here in Wicklow we had a white out about an hour ago :D its weird cause last night it was sleet and today the showers are back to snow again :D although I think the showers are getting few and far between but was great to see some unexpected snow :)

Posted
Here in Wicklow we had a white out about an hour ago :D its weird cause last night it was sleet and today the showers are back to snow again :D although I think the showers are getting few and far between but was great to see some unexpected snow :D
Arklow got a lot of snow yesterday from about 330 untill 10 pm.

About 3 inches in the town and 4 out by me.

The town was chaotic by 5pm.

I had to go into town in my jeep to collect my sister whose car got stuck at the railway station.

Several cars were stuck on the navvy bridge.

It took us an hour to get about a half mile up the wexford road out by mcdonalds with the queu of traffic and with cars spinning and crashing and skidding all over the place .

There was a thunderstorm yes thundersnow at about 530pm in the middle of that with about 5 flashes and big loud cracks!

Still snowing here as I type!

Quite an eventfull 24hrs curtesy of irish sea lake effect snow and pure luck being in the line of fire of a train of showers followed by the more general spell.

A mate of mine met the snow at Lil doyles yesterday where it became a winter wonderland.

North of there towards Dublin yesterday evening there was no lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Well I got nought last night, wet snow and sleet meaning the ground is saturated today...although in saying that its now colder than it was last night and certainly some convection going up as we head to mid day. If you look at the radar the heavy snow showers over Wales are turning and heading towards the East coast of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Maybe something in the offing late afternoon, in fact cloud here is getting darker and cumulonimbus like with some anvils sprouting, maybe an out of the blue streamer setting up for Northern and Southern areas of the East coast.

Posted
Well I got nought last night, wet snow and sleet meaning the ground is saturated today...although in saying that its now colder than it was last night and certainly some convection going up as we head to mid day. If you look at the radar the heavy snow showers over Wales are turning and heading towards the East coast of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Maybe something in the offing late afternoon, in fact cloud here is getting darker and cumulonimbus like with some anvils sprouting, maybe an out of the blue streamer setting up for Northern and Southern areas of the East coast.

Yes its certainly a lot cloudier at the moment but I can't see any precipitation at all - the radar doesn't look too promising either.

We may see some snow tonight according to Cecilia on the local BBC1 forecast and they are keeping an eye on the front moving South on Wednesday night - possibility of heavy snow from that :lol: