Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
No showers here. Cloudy though. Is it meant to snow tomorrow night?

No one really knows tbh, there is meant to be snow on sunday but no one really knows the timing, my guess is 3pm onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Can't reply using the normal way so i'll use the fast reply.

i'm a bit concerned that the meto have us in a yellow warning still. Then again, it could be updated in the near future.

Posted
Rapid thaw here, flowing streames on the roads, water flowing rapidly down the pipework, but grass & paths etc doing fine with little if any thaw, its mostly on objects such as trees and houses where the snow is really melting, need a topup asap, meto/beeb beta going for heavy snow sunday night, is this likely to happen??

Another ice day perhaps here currently -0.6C, strong Northerly slight drifting of hard packed snow at times. More significant drifting 500m plus.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

:D:D:D :o :o

Blizzards, snow storm of the century for Yorkshire!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn664.png

Not too much of a thaw here today, still plenty of snow about and I've just been sledging - on the slopes there was no thaw at all; the snow had a glaze of ice in the sunshine rather than that horrid wet look.

Btw Tucco, even Shap got well over 1c today, and Albermarle to 2.2, so I'd be surprised if anywhere below 350m remained below 0 all day.

Posted
yep, heavy for a time, bbc already saying 5-10cm so could be like thurs event but heavier!

I really doubt it will be heavy, not even briefly, more light-moderate with majority not getting higher than 3-5cm, even 10cm forecast by meto wont be anywhere above 200m even then hit and miss :D

Forecast -9.c by beeb 2night :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I'm down in Jarrow now and it looks like i've come to the right place.

There's a long line on the radar and it's all passing over this area and missing places further west like Stanley.

It's falling as wet snow now but not managing to settle.

Posted
I really doubt it will be heavy, not even briefly, more light-moderate with majority not getting higher than 3-5cm, even 10cm forecast by meto wont be anywhere above 200m even then hit and miss :D

Forecast -9.c by beeb 2night :D

they said 2-5cm for thurs event but we nearly had 7cm again!!!! so you never know mate

Posted
:D:D:D :o :o

Not too much of a thaw here today, still plenty of snow about and I've just been sledging - on the slopes there was no thaw at all; the snow had a glaze of ice in the sunshine rather than that horrid wet look.

Btw Tucco, even Shap got well over 1c today, and Albermarle to 2.2, so I'd be surprised if anywhere below 350m remained below 0 all day.

Same here really, but melting on roads, got up to 3.9c :D , what i kinda like about the snow cover is that there are three layers to it, 1st layer-really good snow that is great for snowmen and snowballs etc. 2nd Layer-Frozen layer of ice which is keeping the snow underneath fresh & great for sledging 3rd Layer-Powedery crap from Thursday none event which is impossible to do anything with but has sugar coated everything, which makes the snow look fresh :D

Posted
:o :o :o :o :o

Wow, Dave :shok: When I viewed the same charts last night, they showed the heaviest

precipitation a lot further South; those charts are exceptional, for our region, mate :D

Posted
Wow, Dave :shok: When I viewed the same charts last night, they showed the heaviest

precipitation a lot further South; those charts are exceptional, for our region, mate :o

its right ontop of us, but will it be snow though mate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
:shok: :o :o :o :o

I guess we'll be talking YETImetres in the near future then hey ? :o .

No seriously that band is progged to hit us too here in the northwest.. im just worried about the Surface condition charts, dewpoints and the T850s etc that accompany this band of precip due the warm sector being futher north, have you checked them ? what do you think mate ? . back edge snow does look possible as the band stalls, swing round and heads SE but nothing special in my eyes :D

Posted
I guess we'll be talking YETImetres in the near future then hey ? :shok: .

No seriously that band is progged to hit us too here in the northwest.. im just worried about the Surface condition charts, dewpoints and the T850s etc that accompany this band of precip due the warm sector being futher north, have you checked them ? what do you think mate ? . back edge snow does look possible as the band stalls, swing round and heads SE but nothing special in my eyes :o

Tbh i couldnt care less about the surface temps yet, im more bothered about the percip actually hitting us!!

Posted
:shok: :o :o :o :o

Nearest Meto site to me Copley about 8 miles to my east and 110m lower recorded max of 1.1C, max here -0.2C which should make it 5th ice day in row. max so this month 0.4C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
snowing really well here now :shok:

starting to settle on paths and grass etc

Hi Andy,

Where in Jarrow are you? I'm at Maple Street, just near to Hebburn.

Only settling on the car windows here, looking a bit slushy on the roofs but nothing on pavements.

Could get very icy tonight, the Met Office have a warning out for ice.

Posted

Brian and SM 79 -

The precip and warm sector is a lot further N today, and this would mean snow from about Sheffield northwards - i.e. all of Yorks and Lancs, with perhaps some precip leading up into Durham as well. The problem is the UKMO which still has this further S and a weak feature, hence the Meto warnings for the S with it being dry further N. However in the UKMO has trended N today although it needs to do this more.

The good news is that the ECM is VERY similar to the GFS in the track, if slightly less intense; and also, the UKMO has been poor recently at modeling warm sectors and precip - wrong on every count this winter and this is where the GFS comes into its own. So lots of room for change, but my money is on the GFS at the moment :o

Nearest Meto site to me Copley about 8 miles to my east and 110m lower recorded max of 1.1C, max here -0.2C which should make it 5th ice day in row. max so this month 0.4C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Wow, you must be about 400m then? :shok: :o

Put your height in your avatar, it's really useful :o

Posted
Hi Andy,

Where in Jarrow are you? I'm at Maple Street, just near to Hebburn.

Only settling on the car windows here, looking a bit slushy on the roofs but nothing on pavements.

Could get very icy tonight, the Met Office have a warning out for ice.

I'm in Hebburn too at the minute on victoria road west, its lying on the grass and the pavement in my front and back gardens. You probs know the roads a busy road too, but its lying on the path on the otherside too :shok:

Posted
Rapid thaw here, flowing streames on the roads, water flowing rapidly down the pipework, but grass & paths etc doing fine with little if any thaw, its mostly on objects such as trees and houses where the snow is really melting, need a topup asap, meto/beeb beta going for heavy snow sunday night, is this likely to happen??

Well, it certainly isn't thawing here. Thoroughly dangerous outside.

Like many other parts of the north, dark clouds are coming and going, and producing nothing.

Posted

The showers now to the east of me so I guess with the wind trending slightly more NW that it is just the immediate coast that will get some snow-shame are relatively snowless state continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

cheers for that post Yeti, it answered the question I hadn't actually managed to aask yet! I start a new job on Monday so I would be very happy the monday night snow to come up here- give me a day off on Tuesday! I look forward to reading all you experts' opinions on what's going to happen. I'm still a bit worried about the meto having the warnings out for the far south of england- surely that's not going to happen!?!?

Posted

Good stuff Dave, it looks as though this one is going right to the wire, and

we won't really know until we're much closer to the event.

I'm happy with that. :shok:

Posted
I'm in Hebburn too at the minute on victoria road west, its lying on the grass and the pavement in my front and back gardens. You probs know the roads a busy road too, but its lying on the path on the otherside too :shok:

I used to live in Hebburn at Jervis Street, which is just off Victoria Road.

Looks like the rest of the showers could stay to our east with the wind turning slightly more NW, it'll be close though. With the temps dropping any snow showers now could well settle and remain until the morning.

Posted
Good stuff Dave, it looks as though this one is going right to the wire, and

we won't really know until we're much closer to the event.

I'm happy with that. :)

Are we due snow today?? Just turned 40 yesterday and have a long w/e planned. Fungers crossed, now that would be an ace present!!!!

M

Posted
Are we due snow today?? Just turned 40 yesterday and have a long w/e planned. Fungers crossed, now that would be an ace present!!!!

M

No, but tomorrow evening a fair bit could fall :)

Posted
Brian and SM 79 -

The precip and warm sector is a lot further N today, and this would mean snow from about Sheffield northwards - i.e. all of Yorks and Lancs, with perhaps some precip leading up into Durham as well. The problem is the UKMO which still has this further S and a weak feature, hence the Meto warnings for the S with it being dry further N. However in the UKMO has trended N today although it needs to do this more.

The good news is that the ECM is VERY similar to the GFS in the track, if slightly less intense; and also, the UKMO has been poor recently at modeling warm sectors and precip.

I think there will be a halfway house here between UKMO/GFS which is known for deepening lows too much,so the track may end up slightly further south to whats shown on the 12z,the cold air is certainly upgraded northern flank.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn661.png

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/54_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/60_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/66_30.gif