Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

We'll be lucky to get even 2cm tonight; the front has split into 2 really with some very heavy stuff heading into Scotland, whilst the southern half has very nearly disappeared - a dusting maybe, but we haven't even crossed the Pennines yet.

Posted
I think your right Yeti, cant see much more than a couple of centimetres..

Just seen countryfile weather and there forecasting 10-15cm?? cant see where there getting that from..

Interestingly in the past 10mins it has pepped up a fair bit... but 10-15cm???????????

Unlikely IMO! PERHAPS W of the Pennines in the usual elevated places like Saddleworth, but I doubt it here on the eastern side.

Posted

I think he meant 10-15CM for those further South ie the Midlands rather than our area, graphics showed the snow more patchy over our region so its looks like the UKMO has sided with the GFS now.

Still, models and charts can say this and that but its the radar who has the final say and it could look all so different by tonight hopefully.

Posted

Maybe something to watch out for after all, the percip has really intensifiyed in last 15mins or so, hopefully this continues.

Compare 10:00 with 11:45 http://raintoday.co.uk/ :lol:

Posted
I think he meant 10-15CM for those further South ie the Midlands rather than our area, graphics showed the snow more patchy over our region so its looks like the UKMO has sided with the GFS now.

Still, models and charts can say this and that but its the radar who has the final say and it could look all so different by tonight hopefully.

Interestingly the precip is a lot stronger heading into Yorks/NE/Scotland than it is heading into the Mids.

Posted

Wow, getting very intense now even in the last 5 minutes and about to hit land... my parents are on the M62 tonight :)

Still will diminish E of the Pennines I expect, but things turning out differently to GFS so far I think.

Posted

I really hope this system on Monday/Tuesday hits us, we havent had anything decent since Monday :) , so far the orange weather warinings issued by the meto seem slightly further north than the previous weather warnings, Yeti do you still think there is a chance of a "Blizzards, snow storm of the century for Yorkshire!" for Monday night? Latest output show percip not really heavy compared to previous runs and only just skirting south Yorkshire.

Posted

Anyway in which we could cut down these Pennines. Shame they seem to shrink in the summer months.

Posted
I really hope this system on Monday/Tuesday hits us, we havent had anything decent since Monday :cold: , so far the orange weather warinings issued by the meto seem slightly further north than the previous weather warnings, Yeti do you still think there is a chance of a "Blizzards, snow storm of the century for Yorkshire!" for Monday night? Latest output show percip not really heavy compared to previous runs and only just skirting south Yorkshire.

Yes I think there is a chance, despite what all the southerners are saying. It's an outside chance but the ECM has the low further N as well as the ensembles so there is still hope :doh:

Anyway in which we could cut down these Pennines. Shame they seem to shrink in the summer months.

Yes it's getting to the nervous moment, how well will the band fair? The mountains are higher the further N you go so this will be an issue.

Posted
I really hope this system on Monday/Tuesday hits us, we havent had anything decent since Monday :cold: , so far the orange weather warinings issued by the meto seem slightly further north than the previous weather warnings, Yeti do you still think there is a chance of a "Blizzards, snow storm of the century for Yorkshire!" for Monday night? Latest output show percip not really heavy compared to previous runs and only just skirting south Yorkshire.

Highly unlikly.

heres my prediction for west yorkshire:

A dusting: 40%

2-5 cm: 5%

anything more less than 1%.

Posted
Highly unlikly.

heres my prediction for west yorkshire:

A dusting: 40%

2-5 cm: 5%

anything more less than 1%.

What about the otley gap :doh::cold:

Edit: Thought you were talking about tonights prospects

Edited by 10123

Posted

It's weakening.

Posted
What about the otley gap :D:D

Edit: Thought you were talking about tonights prospects

lol, the otley gap only works in 'shower' situations. very good for constantly feeding showers through :D

yes, that prediction is for monday. But hope im wrong. :)

Posted
lol, the otley gap only works in 'shower' situations. very good for constantly feeding showers through :D

yes, that prediction is for monday. But hope im wrong. :D

Do you have much snow in Otley atm?? Up here there is stillquite a bit but about 40% or so has thawed :D

Posted

Weve got a good 7-8cm in our garden. Obviously a lot of the snow has thawed in otley town centre (Im atout 100ft higher up..)

Theres around 7-8" at the top of the otley chevin :D which has hardly thawed at all..

Posted

we have weather warnings out for mondays/tuesdays snow event :D:D:D:):):D:D There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of England and Wales on Monday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5 to 10, perhaps locally 15cm of snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...t_warnings.html

Posted

Oh you have just saved my life 10123!!!!!!!! :spiteful: :lol: :lol: :D

Posted
we have weather warnings out for mondays/tuesdays snow event :spiteful: :lol: :lol: :D:D:D:D There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of England and Wales on Monday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5 to 10, perhaps locally 15cm of snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...t_warnings.html

Superb! :D

I think its just a case of the metoffice covering there backs really, incase everything suddenly shifts further north than currently predicted..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I doubt it'll snow allot here. The pennines are so in the way. Saddleworth moor and similar places will do well.

Current car temp is five degrees celcius.

Posted
I meant significant snow, on Monday I could have defrosted my freezer and made a deeper covering.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Yes it wasn't as bad as down south but you must have a well frosted freezer mate :wub:

Thats a reasonably decent covering for me.

As for todays potential dusting, I've just looked at the Meteox radar and I'm thinking the radar isn't working properly.

Edited by paul tall

Posted
I doubt it'll snow allot here. The pennines are so in the way. Saddleworth moor and similar places will do well.

Current car temp is five degrees celcius.

Whoa thats a lot less up here, currentley 2.0c ! Do you have any snow left at all??