Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
The Weather Outlook, I believe.

Anyway, it'll rain in Newton Aycliffe and wash away the frozen remnants of Monday's snow.

Even for you Paul, if you get the ppn, it should be snow. Have faith :D

GFS suggests snow to sea level tomorrow night across N England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I am yet to see one westerly approching system deliver snow of any significance to low lying areas around Newcastle. Normally the pennines absorb and disperse the PPN and it turns to rain.

There seems to be a chance this one won't turn to rain, but still I won't be expecting much as there will be little PPN around by the time it gets here.

Posted
Even for you Paul, if you get the ppn, it should be snow. Have faith :D

GFS suggests snow to sea level tomorrow night across N England.

All that means then is that I, in the Pennine rain shadow, will get nil precipitation. Its like the Atacama Desert here.

i shouldn't grumble too much, we did get some snow and theres still a few bits lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

What's this Monday event consist of???

Posted
I am yet to see one westerly approching system deliver snow of any significance to low lying areas around Newcastle. Normally the pennines absorb and disperse the PPN and it turns to rain.

There seems to be a chance this one won't turn to rain, but still I won't be expecting much as there will be little PPN around by the time it gets here.

I assume you were not here around the 4th/5th December snow event then because that weather front came from the West i am sure?.

I'm not sure about this snow event to be honest, i am like you i still think the Pennines will be a spoiler but as ever we shall wait and see.

Today has been a frustrating day in many respects, any snow that did came this afternoon was only short bursts therefore any snow was struggling too lie however between 3:45-4PM, we did have a proper snow shower and we got a very thin dusting of snow here which has turned to ice now.

Posted

I wonder. The models are beginning to show tentative signs of pushing the Monday/Tuesday channel low a little bit further North, to the extent that we are almost in the firing line as the Northern boundary for snow ( notwithstanding showers developing and moving inland from the NE.)

Any thoughts ?

Karl

Posted
I assume you were not here around the 4th/5th December snow event then because that weather front came from the West i am sure?.

I'm not sure about this snow event to be honest, i am like you i still think the Pennines will be a spoiler but as ever we shall wait and see.

Today has been a frustrating day in many respects, any snow that did came this afternoon was only short bursts therefore any snow was struggling too lie however between 3:45-4PM, we did have a proper snow shower and we got a very thin dusting of snow here which has turned to ice now.

Dec 4th/5th I was at work in Wallsend and it was 2 inches of very wet snow which melted shortly after. Thats about as good as it gets in those sort of areas from a westerly front. I can imagine it was pretty decent above 500ft.

I wonder. The models are beginning to show tentative signs of pushing the Monday/Tuesday channel low a little bit further North, to the extent that we are almost in the firing line as the Northern boundary for snow ( notwithstanding showers developing and moving inland from the NE.)

Any thoughts ?

Karl

You will have to be at high elevation or 10 miles or more inland, as the uppers are not that high and a strong wind will warm on the N.Sea. This is why last Monday was such a letdown here.

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
Dec 4th/5th I was at work in Wallsend and it was 2 inches of very wet snow which melted shortly after. Thats about as good as it gets in those sort of areas from a westerly front. I can imagine it was pretty decent above 500ft.

You will have to be at high elevation or 10 miles or more inland, as the uppers are not that high and a strong wind will warm on the N.Sea. This is why last Monday was such a letdown here.

Agreed F.P.

I am @103m asl and about 14 miles from the coast. Toss a coin !

Of course, anything can change in the next 40 hrs !

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

Looking at the 22.30 radar there seems to be a shower developing to the North which may clip coastal areas here. Does anyone have the 5 min radar to get a more accurate view?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Just looking at tonight's front now, and it's not that good. It's not that strong really and by the time it crosses the Pennines it will be a weak affair. Let's hope the ECM is right about the channel low on Monday, otherwise it's curtains to deep snowfall for a long time. I'm getting a bit fed up now as well, especially on the model thread, because it's so dominated by southerners that they say things like "snow for all if it takes that track" even if it doesn't go N of Oxford. They don't realise that it's the north's turn for a big event.

Posted
So for those on the western edge of the Pennines....

Yes but then you do have the lakes to your W, although it does look better where you are. However even if it stays as it is with no weakening, there's no major snow event.

Edited by Yeti

Posted
Just looking at tonight's front now, and it's not that good. It's not that strong really and by the time it crosses the Pennines it will be a weak affair. Let's hope the ECM is right about the channel low on Monday, otherwise it's curtains to deep snowfall for a long time. I'm getting a bit fed up now as well, especially on the model thread, because it's so dominated by southerners that they say things like "snow for all if it takes that track" even if it doesn't go N of Oxford. They don't realise that it's the north's turn for a big event.

I agree waste of good snow :)

Its been worse just to the North of you, at least have some snowfall from these southern systems. It never wants to make further North though.

I would expect heaviest precip today to be in Southern Lakes/Howgill areas say above 200m. Oon might see a some. But its forecast to fade as it gets over here.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted

the band is already weaker than it was 20 mins ago. 6 hours to go, and a few mountains to cross. :)

Posted
Urgh - is this marginal now then? I really can't be bothered with marginal snow because it's 99 times out of 100, completely rubbish.

No OON you're confusing two events. Today's isn't marginal in the N - it's just pretty weak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
We had a good amount on Monday morning did we not.

I meant significant snow, on Monday I could have defrosted my freezer and made a deeper covering.

Tonight is looking weak but some runs have left a lingering area of precipitation in my area. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Posted

Yep...and the house feels like it got down to -9.3 last night too. The last three nights have been -8.3, -7,9 and -9.3. Hopefully, all the slugs in the garden are dead now.

Posted
Yep...and the house feels like it got down to -9.3 last night too. The last three nights have been -8.3, -7,9 and -9.3. Hopefully, all the slugs in the garden are dead now.

^^ One of them is clearly still alive.

Posted

Dissapointing output this morning :doh:

In the space of 12hours 3 different important aspects of our weather has now downgraded...

1. the snow this evening is now looking pretty non significant (2-5cm generally..)

2. tommorows event now looks like completly missing north/west/east yorkshire, maybe south yorkshire will get some sort of accumulation.. With the midlands looking like getting 2-8 inches of snow :cray:

3.The longer range outlook is looking less cold, but still obviously time for that to change..