Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For London, Ea & Se England

Posted
i just saw the 10.30 bbc forecast with darren bett, and he said that the snow will steer clear to the north and west of london and remain as rain or sleet in london about 10 times. wtf has happened? ive been out for 2 hours and i come back and find that its all gone ti*s up?!

Sky News has just shown the major snow fall in the SW and also shows snow over London.

Posted
Guys- Seperating this weekend into next week for a moment-

Look at teh 18Z parallel for the SE for mon / Tues- with that Low pressure from the Azores- A direct hit for the SE-

Will make the SW look like tiddlewinks if it varified-

S

I just looked at that the temps seem to be low too. There is a lot of ppn in that low i wonder what will fall to the ground we seem to be missing all the action now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

we are literally missing out by a few miles. heartbreaking

Posted
My NW Extra radar show a rain band heading up contry not snow it all seems to be pushing north west circulating around the low pressure centre

Dewpoint some 3/4C warmer tonight than last night, if anything fell it would be pure rain. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I'm about 12 miles NW of Cambridge in St Ives and showing 1.6C/ Dewpoint 0C, Me thinks that we will get sleet, any opinions?

Posted
Sky News has just shown the major snow fall in the SW and also shows snow over London.

dont really trust sky news to be honest

Posted

do you think weather forecasting will ever get any better or did it hit a brick wall many years ago?

Really poor forecasting last night and tonight. I wonder if this happens all the time but we dont scrutinise rainfall so much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Where'd you read that? 2 Foot! :)

Hi maidstone, illustrated on the front page of Sky News website. :)

Guys- Seperating this weekend into next week for a moment-

Look at the 18Z parallel for the SE for mon / Tues- with that Low pressure from the Azores- A direct hit for the SE-

Will make the SW look like tiddlewinks if it varified-

S

:lazy: Love your posts Steve!

Lets hope this one comes off :)

Save the best til last, I say :yahoo:

Seasons

Posted
i just saw the 10.30 bbc forecast with darren bett, and he said that the snow will steer clear to the north and west of london and remain as rain or sleet in london about 10 times. wtf has happened? ive been out for 2 hours and i come back and find that its all gone ti*s up?!

It still looks that way to me for the main bulk with a small area of ppn moving through surrey at present which I can now confirm as Rain on the outskirts of South London.

Posted
Tbh yamkin mate i think you know down in your heart off hearts its not looking to good for snow now mate not settling snow anyway so i expect the meto to stick to their warnings. Its a bitter pill to swallow but lets move on and get some sleep eh? Its not our day today. :wallbash:

It was not looking good a few hours ago, but since the ppn stalled over the SW giving severe snow, the MetO never saw this coming and quickly updated their weather warning......The MetO have not entirely stuck to their warnings as explained already.

No bitter pill here. Just amazed how the snow event is so severe over the SW.

dont really trust sky news to be honest

BBC got the severe snow event here on Sun/Mon and tonight's big snowfall in Devon wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
As some people have said on the news, it's our health and safety culture gone mad. Schools don't want to open and have the risk of being sued because some kid gets hit in the eye by a snowball or accidently falls over and bruises it's backside. Jesus they've banned playing conkers in most schools, so a little snow is going to cause mass closures. Very sad really, half the problem these days children are treated like idiots and wrapped up in cotton wool. Thing is getting a few scraped knees or cuts while doing something an adult may consider silly or slight dangerous is part of childhood and how children learn. :wallbash:

I agree with every word you say. If you treat a child like an idiot that is what you will get, furthermore as they're never exposed to any small consequences "because in case so-and-so happens", when they're let off the leash they do really something really stupid.

Those poor teenage girls in the Yorkshire sledging accident, for example... when we went sledging as kids we were taught to check the slope and most especially the bottom of the slope for obstacles and also people used proper steerable sledges. Similarly for skating, my dad or the heaviest person around would go out and jump up and down on the ice to check it was ok or make a small hole to check how thick it was (under 6" it was no good) and we kept to the sides of the pond skating around in a circle... unless we were sure it was really ok.

but the best bit is watching the authorities cover their backs when something truly dreadful happens... can't wade in a save someone because they're not authorised to wear wellington boots, wasn't it? :lol:

Posted

Temp has randomly shot down to 3.5C now, a sign of the cold air arriving? :wallbash:

Just thinking about it, there's something rather odd about south Devon. The freak snow tonight is only 20/30 miles southwest of where the freak hailstorm hit in October. There seem to be freak weather events in that little corner of the UK when cold air from the north interacts with mild air from the southwest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Someone posted this link earlier...it is just beautiful:

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

takes around the same time to load as a pint of guiness to pour but it's worth it (-:

Posted

is there any hope left for us now? seeing that the met got tonights forecast wrong, could their more recent forecasts of just rain for london also turn out to be wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
is there any hope left for us now? seeing that the met got tonights forecast wrong, could their more recent forecasts of just rain for london also turn out to be wrong?

No :D

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Been raining in Reading for last 30 min it seems the cold air still havent reached this far south, but in Devon they snowed under?

Posted
Been raining in Reading for last 30 min it seems the cold air still havent reached this far south, but in Devon they snowed under?

Heavy snow forecast for your area later-- should get interesting there soon I would think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Ahh, fair enough. I don't think towards Amersham has been hit as hard so far as further north in the county. (at least in today / last night's event).. It's all health and safety, incredibly icy, people scared to drive etc.. Also, the main road near me was a car park at 9am this morning.. Would've been a waste opening the schools I think. People I imagine lived overall closer on average to the schools they attended in 77-83 than they do now I should think.. More likely to walk to school than have to drive 5-10 miles?

I don't think so, most of the Challoners boys used to come in by train (or Met line tube). Are they still running? Or have they packed up as well? :D

People have really got to confront their fear of driving in snow, wise up and learn how to do it... a few weeks ago our lane was as bad as I've ever seen it — solid sheet ice for a week. I didn't want to use the car but my husband went out with me and told me to pick a safe place and apply the brakes, so I did and found I was fine and the car's ABS worked beautifully.

We've become a pathetic gutless namby-pamby nation, is all. Not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW
Heavy snow forecast for your area later-- should get interesting there soon I would think.

Fingers crossed, lets see what happens later!

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Temp just +0.7C here, but the moderate rain now falling is just that - I can't see even a hint of sleetiness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
I'm worried about being that little too far east, that little too far south and that little too litle above sea level. Other than that...I'm confident as i ever am about a snow forecast...that's never! :D

I don't like being pessimistic but I do like being right.

Unfortunately that leaves a predicament when you are commenting on what looks like a very favourable forecast for snow in your area!!!!

We had our seven inches on snow on sunday through to monday morning so I shouldn't complain...but the ironic thing is that this wasn't forecast for us while everything that has been forecast since, including monday's "main event" which was what was originally give us all the snow, has gone wrong.

Once again it seems my pessimism has turned out to be justified. If you call every forecast of snow over my area wrong, the unfortunate thing is 90% of the time you'd be right! :D

I don't think so, most of the Challoners boys used to come in by train (or Met line tube). Are they still running? Or have they packed up as well? :D

People have really got to confront their fear of driving in snow, wise up and learn how to do it... a few weeks ago our lane was as bad as I've ever seen it — solid sheet ice for a week. I didn't want to use the car but my husband went out with me and told me to pick a safe place and apply the brakes, so I did and found I was fine and the car's ABS worked beautifully.

We've become a pathetic gutless namby-pamby nation, is all. Not good.

Well, you'll be pleased to know I caught the train earlier, they're all running fine.

I should get round to demanding compensation from Chiltern railways though, I fell over on Wendover station earlier and it's completely done my right knee in. :D Hah.

Snowing here again.. No sign of rain..

Posted
Temp just +0.7C here, but the moderate rain now falling is just that - I can't see even a hint of sleetiness.

right, it's snowing here heavily but looking at the radar it is that little tongue of ppn. Now then, is all that ppn over the west going to move southeast? the GFS says so, the meto say so, the radar currently says no! what's going on?

Edited by A horse called man