Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted

Looking at the radar there are some beefy looking showers continually generating in Central Scotland and heading our way. I suspect that by the time they get here though they may be just sleety, or rain. Still, nice while it lasted !

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

For once this 'snow event' was on the right side of marginal (could this be the result of Stratospheric warming?) who knows.!! Anyway a proper snowfall although i feel a thaw will set in before nightfall then a freeze, roads will be treacherous come the morning..

Posted

Light snow here in Aycliffe at the moment, just been informed that, at least, 3 local schools have been closed, and I hear part of Newcastle Airport is shut :good:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Radar shows moderate recipitation here, in actuality it is just starting to snow with small flakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Not as heavy here in Hexhamshire @ 1050feet.

How much has everyone got now?

Had 6 inches today and a total of 28 inches lying on the ground.

Also isnt it funny how there no mention of this on the news? BBC news 24 forcast even said "the snowfall in north east england will not be significant but will add a dusting to the school run"!

Well done, great snowfall up in the NE! :good:

BBC have been playing this event down big time, shocking! :good: They have been cr....p of late!

Just showed some pics from Eastern Scotland, dont look like a dusting to me, looks well deep.

Now they are saying the SE will see a dusting this evening, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

It's been snowing here since 10 o'clock and we now have around 3 inches!! I wasn't expecting this in the slightest!

Posted

Snow gaining strength here once again although the flakes are still rather small in size, looks like according to the radar the band is gaining strength in general around here, i just hope the mild sector can be delayed slightly.

An ok covering in the garden(although this has been trampled on now because i decided to make a snowman) but you could still see the specs of grass still coming through(the grass is rather short aswell) so not a complete dumping but still satisfied none the less.

Posted

some nice sized chunks of snow coming down now, only light still but I'm not complaining.

I'm sorry to hear that ThunderSnow, I hope it doesn't make it down this way :yahoo:

Posted

The snow started here about 9.30 this morning and was fairly heavy at times,leaving about 2 inches of fresh snow.

The roads are pretty bad around here at the moment although its just light snow now,so the roads should improve quickly.

The warnings for this snow were quite late,the met office put one up at 9am,netweather was better with a warning issued at 8am.

Nice to see the snow down to all levels though,and it looks like most people in the north-east got a covering. :yahoo:

edit. actually,just looked at the radar and some heavier stuff looks to be on the way again.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
Do you just walk up the hill?

John

No a track has been cleared by a farmer and i put grit all the way to the top yesterday but only wide enough for a quadbike. Some brilliant skiing and boarding lately!

Posted
edit. actually,just looked at the radar and some heavier stuff looks to be on the way again.

The heavier stuff has arrived here now, decent size flakes aswell, wonder how long it will last? I'll be looking on the 12Z and see where that mild sector is, this set up will get alot more marginal as the afternoon goes on.

The heavier stuff has arrived here now, decent size flakes aswell, wonder how long it will last? I'll be looking on the 12Z and see where that mild sector is, this set up will get alot more marginal as the afternoon goes on.

Ah well I did wonder when looking at the great looking radar if there was a catch. Stay away pesky mild sector!

3cm of snow here :aggressive:

Posted

Looking at the GFS, I'd say the milder air and sleet should hit my area around 6pm tonight, turning to rain by around 9pm :cc_confused:

Rats, that didn't last long, hopefully I'll get a hour or so in the Snow before it's all gone.

Posted

Temperature remains stable here in Aycliffe at 0.6º, dewpoint is up to -1.0º now.

Snow continues, alternating between light and moderate, 5cm lying now.

Posted
Temperature remains stable here in Aycliffe at 0.6º, dewpoint is up to -1.0º now.

Snow continues, alternating between light and moderate, 5cm lying now.

An excellent assessment Mr Tall :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Looks like it's better further E. It was good here for a time, some very heavy snow giving 2cm, but now it's turned to sleet as the mild sector is nearby, and down at the bottom of the town it's just rain.

Oh well! Nice to see you have some good snow Paul.

Posted

snow has been unreal today, been snowing non stop since around 10am, a few inches lying too :D

still moderate/heavy now with good size flakes adding to whats lying :D

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted
snow has been unreal today, been snowing non stop since around 10am, a few inches lying too :D

still moderate/heavy now with good size flakes adding to whats lying :)

Yeah, i never expected this 'round 2' belt of snow, i thought when it was getting lighter that will be it so this is all an added bonus. :D

Its nice to be one of the snowiest locations for a change.

Posted

Still not satisfied with this cold snap for where I live.

The synoptics have never really favoured our region; albeit the hills to my west are doing pretty good. I'm just annoyed really that even Bristol has had more snow than here in lowland Durham.

Not satisfied and just want mild weather now.

Edited by PersianPaladin