Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
Follows what i was saying Yesterday afternoon then.

Nah, the snow risk is just a bit further south and east than originally progged, almost certainly due to the low ending up further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!
Just to make it easier to follow your posts would someone please post a list of what PPN etc mean, sorry to be so thick :sorry

It's precipitation chapmanraven.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Looks like there has been an explosive amount of precipitation south east of Oxford and north west of London. Any reports ?

Posted
The odd 50p size flake of snow coming down with the rain now, temp 1.9c

Needs to throw it down to turn to snow though which it wont do probably...

thats really good news as it starting already.

still cold rain here!

Posted
Looks like there has been an explosive amount of precipitation south east of Oxford and north west of London. Any reports ?

Can see it very clearly on the radar jimben and rest assured I'm keeping my eyes on it-

Best news of all, it's heading straight for us!!! :D:D:D

EDIT: Actually, on a closer look, it's probably going to miss us to our east. Never mind!

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

If the dew point is 1c in Tamworth that is a good sign. The heavy precip is still yet to arrive, the heavy precip will probably arrive in a few hours and in the heavy precip it will cool down the temps by around 0.5c or so with evaporative cooling. A lot of factors will come into play tonight, Precip intensity for certain locations, height and temperatures. I think low ground in the Midlands below 60m ASL will have a struggle to see settling snow, places above 200m ASL probably a covering and anywhere inbetween that could be a covering or no settling snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
really have low expectations for tonight. anyway, none of us here have the right to complain after so much lying snow this winter; here being 11 days. incredible by modern standards, just incredible. may there be many more of these winters to come.

i do you mind me asking why you have no expectations for 2night . iv been working all day so ave no idea, pls dont tell me its all got down graded?????

Posted
Can see it very clearly on the radar jimben and rest assured I'm keeping my eyes on it-

Best news of all, it's heading straight for us!!! :D:D:cold:

EDIT: Actually, on a closer look, it's probably going to miss us to our east. Never mind!

The wind is getting up a bit and the rain getting heavier. just nipped to the shop and the rain felt very icy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
i do you mind me asking why you have no expectations for 2night . iv been working all day so ave no idea, pls dont tell me its all got down graded?????

Not really for us in the South Midlands-azores was not to keen on snow last night anyway if i remember right. :cold:

Posted
Not really for us in the South Midlands-azores was not to keen on snow last night anyway if i remember right. :cold:

You actually have about a 50% better chance of seeing snow tonight than me I think. What kind of elevation do you have?

Posted

temp 1.4 and dew point 0.5 another hour i reckon, along with some heavier precip should do it

Posted

This is strange to have colder air encroaching from the SW. At 1730 Weatheronline have Bristol as the coldest station south of the Pennines! Still sleety rain at best here, but reports of snow in Bristol and Bucks. Probably means we in Mids have been under influence of weak "warm" sector, whereas encroaching air has colder uppers as well as heavier PPN lowering surface temps? Heavier PPN looks to be struggling to reach us but if it does then I wouldn't write off the blizzard forecasts.

(Go to weatheronline.co.uk - current weather - temp/large map/1730/go - to get latest temps)

Posted
temp 1.4 and dew point 0.5 another hour i reckon, along with some heavier precip should do it

You must be at one of the highest points in Hinckley! Coalville is reporting 1.7c and 1c dew, I think at my height of 75m I's around 2.1c and dew of 1.3c. In other words... Forget about snow lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm...just been following the infra-red sat loop...The LP centre has taken a south easterly turn comparing 1600 to 1700....I know its progged to Zip eastwards through the channel, but I'm wondering now if it may take a dive into France...That might explain why the main ppn is being shunted ENE as opposed to NNE as expected.....interesting to see where the LP centre is at 1800 & 1900z....If this is a trend, then its much better for the East Midlands & Home Counties, bad for the West Midlands.....Remember guys, please dont take this a 'OMG its not gonna snow' post, just an inference, the next loop may well take it east as expected :cold:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

hopefully not another let down tonight - just got home and driving through sedgley at the highest point - it was a little sleety.

was expecting a heavy snowfall :cold: . no winds at the moment either.....suppose alongway to go.

Posted
Definate NE Movement on the Last Radar Scan.

Good luck Guys

Paul S

Yes, parts of E Anglia could get a pasting by the look of it.

Look East forecast will be interesting as at lunchtime snow was restricted to the north and west of the region.

Posted
If the dew point is 1c in Tamworth that is a good sign. The heavy precip is still yet to arrive, the heavy precip will probably arrive in a few hours and in the heavy precip it will cool down the temps by around 0.5c or so with evaporative cooling. A lot of factors will come into play tonight, Precip intensity for certain locations, height and temperatures. I think low ground in the Midlands below 60m ASL will have a struggle to see settling snow, places above 200m ASL probably a covering and anywhere inbetween that could be a covering or no settling snow.

here in southyorkshire, weve got snow snizzle with temps of 0c and dew of -0.7c, very different from forecast!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
You actually have about a 50% better chance of seeing snow tonight than me I think. What kind of elevation do you have?

About 120m so not far off about 400ft.

Posted
Definate NE Movement on the Last Radar Scan.

Good luck Guys

Paul S

When are you putting your report up paul, about why you missed the snow last sunday night

Posted

last night i didnt think it would last very long, and it had thawed on all the pavements and roads. we could do well, but i feel its going to be a case of isolated areas getting falls rather than others, which will get sleet and cold rain. imo, have low expectations, then hope to be surprised. i think though, only a few cm is the most likely option. good luck to all.

Posted

Still raining here, and its actually abit heavier now, its a touch icy but really nothing resembling snow.

I know snow can still settle on wet ground, but even if it does snow i think its gonna have a really tough time sticking the ground is SOAKED

Also notice how the main bulk of the band is now heading east up towards East anglia, with just a pretty small band left on the western edge dying out all the time, gonna be a no event im afraid guys but i didn't really have my hopes set to high as i knew it would be so marginal..

Tom

Edited by tom_f123