Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
I can confirm that there is now more snow than sleet in what is falling but my temp is reading 1.3 and yours is lower hmmmmmmm either mine is broken?????????

great! keep us updated. I should be expecting sleet to wet snow by 8ish hopefully :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
LOL no way, you got to be joking! its hammering down with snow cant beleive the change! so suddern! it should change any second :lol:

Heavy wet snow here now gone form rain to sleet to snow in an hour temp now 1c

Falling on ground covered with snow

Posted
I've started being lazy and using the Vaisala traffic weather reading for Lickey Hills rather than venturing out into the snow/ice to look at my own thermometer......

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp

When I've checked both, my temp is normally a fraction lower as I'm slightly higher than the Vaisala station. So sometimes the temp readings I post are the Vaisala temp minus 0.1C!! Sorry if that's cheating slightly but it's pretty accurate.

But lapse rate (drop of temp with altitude) can be up to 1C per 100m so that would explain difference in our temps.

As for blizzards, here's from wiki: "the Met Office defines a blizzard as "moderate or heavy snow" combined with a mean wind speed of 30 mph (48 km/h) and visibility below 650 feet (200 m)".

Im just off leachgreen lane so not that far but enough to cause a difference in temps wow its still sleety but more flakes now temp 1.1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Oh thank F...ishfingers for that! Sudden temp drop to 0.7c and it has finally turned to snow. Only fine and light but it's snow.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

This is what Andy will look like in the morning:

dont_be_that_guy_this_winter_4.jpg

That's what happens in Leicester-upon-snow.

Posted
Well there is a school in Tamworth called Birds Bush!!!

lol but you can't beat the names around here. There's a road down the hill near here called Twatling Lane (pronounced Twotling you will not be surprised to hear.....), it adjoins another called Mearse Lane, but even those pale into insignificance compared with the village a few miles away in N Worcs called Bell End!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Neither did I?!

I said the models were placing the front further N, which was good for us.

I bet you 10 quid we will see some snow tonight, unlike the rain down in the S!

(the S includes Northants IMO).

You didn't say heavy snow but you plastered the charts all over the forum! Charts in here about how the precip was now giving you moderate snowfall for a time, saying the Midlands' chance of snow was severely downgraded, you posted those charts in about 3 threads I think, channel low thread, NW and Yorkshire snow watch thread and the Midlands snow watch thread. :doh:

I just find it so funny how you was excited last night and now you aren't, besides you don't know 100% it won't hammer it down with snow here in a few hours :D Don't forget when the cold air digs in between 11pm and 6am who is going to have more chance of precip over them? Leicester, Harrogate will have waved bye byes to the precip by 12-3am while we will still have some around.

Posted

Latest radar shows some northern developement around Brum, well, pepping up.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Wish you luck Midlanders, a total flop here, light rain and drizzle, hint of sleet perhaps, even this stopped an hour ago! Still not that cold at 2c. Think you need more intense precipitation to arrive along with hills!

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Had a bit of a disaster !! My weather station has stopped showing me the outside temperature... certainly isn't because it's buried in snow, that's for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS
Oh thank F...ishfingers for that! Sudden temp drop to 0.7c and it has finally turned to snow. Only fine and light but it's snow.

i still think it needs to be alot heavier to cover! do you think we will get more heavy precip anytime soon? why do people mock our names we live in lol

Posted

I would love it if Andy saw snow and you didn't :doh: , perhaps some light snow in north yorkshire tonight at most.

Glad to hear you lot are seeing it turn more wintry now :D

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
This is what Andy will look like in the morning:

dont_be_that_guy_this_winter_4.jpg

That's what happens in Leicester-upon-snow.

And this will be you when it starts snowing in Leicester and Harrogate miss out on the heavy PPN....

Given.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
i still think it needs to be alot heavier to cover! do you think we will get more heavy precip anytime soon? why do people mock our names we live in lol

Unfortunately I don't think we will. The heaviest precipitation looks staying well to the south, we may get the odd heavier burst but it seems as though this system has shifted southwards after worries last night that it may be too far north!

Temp now 0.7c and DP now 0.2c btw.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

ANDY:

Lol. Funny how on the Yorkshire thread everyone is saying that the BBC are poor therefore must be wrong, but on here it's the opposite!

Andy - GFS 18z DOES show snow for most Midlanders tomorrow although in the E it gets very marginal near that 0c isotherm

Extent has moved N but the warmer air hasn't, so no real changes for this area on the 18z.

However at times it will be sleety, particularly earlier and in the middle.

:D

I think you'll find I said the snow chances had no real changes for this area, only the precip was further N!

YOU were the one saying that there was no chance of snow :doh::D

Posted
Heavy wet snow here now gone form rain to sleet to snow in an hour temp now 1c

Falling on ground covered with snow

I think you exaggerate when you say 'ground covered with snow'. I was up around Bicester yesterday, which seems to be very close to Ambrosden, and the snow cover was the same as ours in Oxford, decent in areas but clear or at best slushy on roads, pavements, some roofs etc. And it must have suffered somewhat today in the rain. All I'm sayin is that the old snow does not really at this stage constitute a satisfactory and widespread base for new wet snow.

Having said this, our ppn, which was virtually snow a few minutes ago, has changed back to being rain.

I'm going to bed for a couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS
Unfortunately I don't think we will. The heaviest precipitation looks staying well to the south, we may get the odd heavier burst but it seems as though this system has shifted southwards after worries last night that it may be too far north!

Temp now 0.7c and DP now 0.2c btw.

i feel the same but looking at the radar the heavier precipitation sems to be getting slowly but ever closer, i getting my hopes up still!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.
Had a bit of a disaster !! My weather station has stopped showing me the outside temperature... certainly isn't because it's buried in snow, that's for sure!

Mines howing 2.2c falling slowly, very slowly.