Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!
OK this is starting to get serious now. Temp dropped below 0.5C about 15 mins ago and now approaching 0. Pretty much all snow now rather than sleet, and flakes getting larger. Wind is strongest I've seen this month accompanying snow. I think I might just go and check the definition of "blizzard" again - might need the word after all if the current trend in the weather carries on..............

Great news! Game on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
cant beleive the other person from cannock is reporting rain when two miles away in a place called haeth hayes its turned to snow :D B):p:D:D

and now heavy snow :p

Heath Hayes? Sounds like cockney rhyming slang for Maze :D

"Yeh just going daan the old Heath Hayes with me family"

Posted
You know I like a bit of banter :p It is hilarious though the difference in your attitude today from last night. Last night you couldn't get enough of the model runs, telling all us in the Midlands that it was now further North and Yorkshire was going to see a good deal of snow. Now you think that it's going to miss you you are accepting defeat and saying you weren't bothered anyway :D

The amount of boasting you was doing last night was huge, you was adament us Midlanders were now doomed and Yorkshire was the snow capital of the world B)

:D

Posted

Looking against lamp light here, we appear to have heavy snow. When I stick out an arm and a book though, the icy-rainy stuff makes its presence known, though we are on the verge of being able to say we have heavy snow of the wettest variety. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays like this for a long time, and in any case, the ground here isn't just sodden, it's covered with slush and puddles and streams and so on, so there aren't really that many areas for snow to settle even if it were to fall as the driest kind...

Posted
OK this is starting to get serious now. Temp dropped below 0.5C about 15 mins ago and now approaching 0. Pretty much all snow now rather than sleet, and flakes getting larger. Wind is strongest I've seen this month accompanying snow. I think I might just go and check the definition of "blizzard" again - might need the word after all if the current trend in the weather carries on..............

I can confirm that there is now more snow than sleet in what is falling but my temp is reading 1.3 and yours is lower hmmmmmmm either mine is broken?????????

Posted
WHAT?! I am in Norton Canes! I am off to the lamp post, be right back!

Nope, still heavy rain :(

OMG Norton Canes :lol: Got some craazzy names around Stafford, Norton Canes sounds like it could be cockney rhyming slang for growing pains :lol:

Got the old Norton Canes in me stomach!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Argh, my weather station picks now to go on the blink again, typical! Will have to go outside for a ciggie now and see if it's snowing now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
cant beleive the other person from cannock is reporting rain when two miles away in a place called heath hayes its turned to snow :lol: :lol::(:D:D

and now heavy snow :( maybe good news to a few of you!

Heath Hayes?.....You have a bit of altitude then, that explains it...You're pretty high up...I'm in Penkridge about 100m asl, and its just a cold rain, then again, thats exactly what I expected from this time last night onwards.....The LP has ceased its ESE track and has turned for easterly, this will no doubt, help shunt the heavier PPN over south wales and the SW in a more NNE direction for the next few hours, so some wet snow for the South & East midlands, and some back edge snow for the majority in our area early tomorrow morning

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
You know I like a bit of banter :( It is hilarious though the difference in your attitude today from last night. Last night you couldn't get enough of the model runs, telling all us in the Midlands that it was now further North and Yorkshire was going to see a good deal of snow. Now you think that it's going to miss you you are accepting defeat and saying you weren't bothered anyway :lol:

The amount of boasting you was doing last night was huge, you was adament us Midlanders were now doomed and Yorkshire was the snow capital of the world :lol:

No mate, YORKSHIRE IS THE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD :(

Posted
I can assure you Leicester is in the blue every time!!!!

Looks like bye bye Willy the snowman eh? :lol:

Good job I didn't ramp it up like you did for Harrogate then weren't it :lol:

i didn't go around saying "BBC SAY HEAVY SNOW FOR LEICESTER TOMORROW NIGHT WOOOHOOO"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Heath Hayes?.....You have a bit of altitude then, that explains it...You're pretty high up...I'm in Penkridge about 100m asl, and its just a cold rain, then again, thats exactly what I expected from this time last night onwards.....The LP has ceased its ESE track and has turned for easterly, this will no doubt, help shunt the heavier PPN over south wales and the SW in a more NNE direction for the next few hours, so some wet snow for the South & East midlands, and some back edge snow for the majority in our area early tomorrow morning

Yeah parts of Wimblebury (anything funny about that one Andy :lol: ) are 250m, will almost definitely be snow there.

Posted

lol yeti i dont think that it will be exactly as that shows, and im still confused by them thinking that at 6am the precip clearing away will be rain, when upper air temps are down to -5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS
WHAT?! I am in Norton Canes! I am off to the lamp post, be right back!

Nope, still heavy rain :lol:

LOL no way, you got to be joking! its hammering down with snow cant beleive the change! so suddern! it should change any second :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well i think this as the potential to be the biggest **** up ever my met office! Heavy drifting snow??? Cough cough!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
LOL no way, you got to be joking! its hammering down with snow cant beleive the change! so suddern! it should change any second :lol:

Well as long as it is snowing heavily over in Cannock itself then I don't mind - anything to get me a day off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rofl im loving the Leicester Harrogate War 1 at the moment...

Still a bit sleety here....by reports it should get more wintry soon. :lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
I can confirm that there is now more snow than sleet in what is falling but my temp is reading 1.3 and yours is lower hmmmmmmm either mine is broken?????????

I've started being lazy and using the Vaisala traffic weather reading for Lickey Hills rather than venturing out into the snow/ice to look at my own thermometer......

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp

When I've checked both, my temp is normally a fraction lower as I'm slightly higher than the Vaisala station. So sometimes the temp readings I post are the Vaisala temp minus 0.1C!! Sorry if that's cheating slightly but it's pretty accurate.

But lapse rate (drop of temp with altitude) can be up to 1C per 100m so that would explain difference in our temps.

As for blizzards, here's from wiki: "the Met Office defines a blizzard as "moderate or heavy snow" combined with a mean wind speed of 30 mph (48 km/h) and visibility below 650 feet (200 m)".

Posted
Good job I didn't ramp it up like you did for Harrogate then weren't it :lol:

i didn't go around saying "BBC SAY HEAVY SNOW FOR LEICESTER TOMORROW NIGHT WOOOHOOO"

Neither did I?!

I said the models were placing the front further N, which was good for us.

I bet you 10 quid we will see some snow tonight, unlike the rain down in the S!

(the S includes Northants IMO).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
According to BBC Look East, "Northamptonshire is expected to see the worst of the sleet or snow." [in the region]

That's encouraging :lol:

That heavy ppn now making a direct line for us !!