Cold?
IGNORED

April CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I nearly forgot about my April punt!! I'll have:

8.7c please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Since the London Weather Centre moved to Clerkenwell in 1992 the average April max and min have been 14.6°C and 7.3°C respectively. The averages for Apr 1-15 are 13.5°C and 6.3°C, and for Apr 16-30 they are 15.6°C and 8.3°C.

Totally off-topic but some may be interested to know that the warmest day of the year is Aug 6 - this date has both the highest mean maximum and highest mean minimum for Clerkenwell.

The London Weather Centre is hardly a standard Met Office site, and it has frequently been known to report inflated maxima. The 1971-2000 mean maximum for April for Greenwich and Wisley was 13.3C, and Heathrow was similar (13.1 over the period 1961-90). Perhaps the figures are more representative for urban London, but compared to "standard" stations, which are generally used for reference purposes, it looks like it's anomalously high by 1.0 to 1.5C. The minima, meanwhile, are over 2C higher than at the other London sites- average minimum of 5.2C.

So I was right :mellow:

That's very debatable in view of the above. Perhaps if we were comparing temperatures in heavily urban areas there'd be a case, but normally when evaluating typical max/min temperatures, the standard MetO classification sites are used- and for the purposes of this, we're basically quoting average maxima that are anomalously high by over a degree. In view of the generally unrealistic perception on this forum of "average" spring conditions being much warmer than they really are, it's quite an important distinction to make.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I'm going to stick my kneck out again this month, am usually well off the mark anyway.

In view of recent output showing an extended mild or very mild spell of weather into early April and based on my feelings that if we dont get a cold blast in the first ten days or so of the month then its not likely to happen at all, or if it does its not going to be that cold anyway after mid month, I'l go for.................

10.1c please. :mellow:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A mostly mild first half followed by cooler conditions for the second half of the month imo.

I will go for 8.4c please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Well I live in a built up area, and the criteria for Met stations is very strict compared to other countries. I do not have a perception that Spring is warmer than it should be, average April temps here are around 12-13 at the start of the month, and 15-16 at the end of the month according to all other sites except the Met.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

After the abject failure of my March guess I'll try 8.3c for April

Posted

Almost homogenously warm, just as March has been. Im going to stick my neck out and go for 9.4C.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Forced to have to agree with the above average theme with low pressure to the west and north and high pressure over and to the south and east of the UK. Could easily be 9.5C and maybe a bit higher.

Will go with 9.1C though

(I don't think it is accurate to say March has been 'homogenously warm'. The final figure isn't going to be much above average and there have been plenty of fairly chilly nights and some colder days of late).

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Forced to have to agree with the above average theme with low pressure to the west and north and high pressure over and to the south and east of the UK. Could easily be 9.5C and maybe a bit higher.

Will go with 9.1C though

(I don't think it is accurate to say March has been 'homogenously warm'. The final figure isn't going to be much above average and there have been plenty of fairly chilly nights and some colder days of late).

Hi T,

Yes i agree, March will won't be much above average, as you say, there have been some cold nights recently and rather subdued daytime maximums in the CET area, my current mean is 6.6c, only 0.3c above the March CET average, my mean figure is as a rule not to far off the zone figure.

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
Hi T,

Yes i agree, March will won't be much above average, as you say, there have been some cold nights recently and rather subdued daytime maximums in the CET area, my current mean is 6.6c, only 0.3c above the March CET average, my mean figure is as a rule not to far off the zone figure.

Paul

Hi Paul

Enjoyed the cool 'April showers' type of the weekend :D Not sure though that April will live up to its varied name this time though - hence my prediction.

Posted

I think April will see below average precipitation and show a trend towards warmth from mid month onwards. My CET estimate is 9.4 C

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I've decided that i am happy with my prediction for April, though i was tempted to raise my prediction.

Posted

7.8C: Osmposm

8.5C: Snowstorm 1

8.5C: Michael Prys-Roberts

9.1C: Summer Blizzard

9.1C: Mke W

9.3C: James M

The average April CET is 8.1C.

The coldest April on record occured in 1837 with a CET of 4.7C.

The hottest April on record occured in 2007 with a CET of 11.2C.

Will complete CET list when i get chance.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

I must admit, I am now tempted to raise my CET estimate for April. Will decide over the next day.....