Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Another Bad Start To Summer?

Posted

Charts are looking pretty awful with what was looking like potentially slightly better weather for the weekend now evaporating before our eyes with the charts now showing low pressure smack bang over us Sunday and cool wet weather again next week.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Another decent day here- sunny average temps pm.

Out of the wind both Saturday and Sunday here, I was able to do proper sunbathing, in just shorts, for about 2 hours on Sunday and on several occasions on Saturday.

Wow you must live in your own microclimate down in the far SE, most people in the UK were wearing coats even scarfs and gloves esp on saturday shown at sporting events shown on TV on saturday.

First few days of June were great but its gone downhill ever since, the weekend was very poor apart from late afternoon sunday but temps only rose to 12C to 14C, monday and especially yesterday and today are INCREDIBLY POOR, i had to pinch myself its June it was amazingly dark last evening like we were having a solar eclipse, around 7pm i had to turn my lights on not something you expect to do when the daylight is almost at its longest, god knows how dark it would be if it was only August.

Maybe we could advertise for pseudo partial solar eclipse effects for tourists to come to the UK in June :lol:

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Southeastern microclimate? Not sure, but I think the general perception of a poor start to summer is based largely on last weekend, which was pretty dreadful for many but turned out better than originally forecast (a few days beforehand) for many southern parts, with most of the rain falling overnight and clearing northwards quickly. Agreed, the start of the working week has been pretty indifferent round here too with lots of cloud, but we didn't have the continuous heavy rain over the weekend that many areas had - only light rain Saturday morning and heavier rain overnight Sat-Sun, with Sunday itself being mainly fine and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Wow you must live in your own microclimate down in the far SE, most people in the UK were wearing coats even scarfs and gloves esp on saturday shown at sporting events shown on TV on saturday.

It warmed up a fair bit in the sun. I was wedding saturday and out all day sunday so i should know.

The evenings turned cold

5 more days to go

Posted

It turned dark a couple of hours ago,with a good many cloud layers and even low cloud developing TCU and fog,needed lights on,good thing about the summer anything could happen as far as how dark it could go with thunder clouds about, and it`s also 12c currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It is getting pretty dull now - we still can't have all the windows open at work and my house still has a nip in the air. It'd certainly be nice to feel some warmth again rather than a chilly breeze under grey skies. Looks like Saturday will be better though at least!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well, as far as I'm concerned it's been a quite wonderful start to summer. Already we've almost reached the average June rainfall here and it's only the 10th. If it were to keep raining as intensely during the remaining 20 days of the month it would be challenging the mighty total achieved in June 2007

One can but dream.

I'll now duck down behind the parapet and keep quiet.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

10th of June and blower heaters you get above the entrances of shops were on in town ... nuff said!

Not resorted to putting heating on like some I know have recently, but the jumper is on tonight.

Posted
Well, as far as I'm concerned it's been a quite wonderful start to summer. Already we've almost reached the average June rainfall here and it's only the 10th. If it were to keep raining as intensely during the remaining 20 days of the month it would be challenging the mighty total achieved in June 2007

One can but dream.

I'll now duck down behind the parapet and keep quiet.

Indeed, got soaked at football this evening - the rain was very cold indeed, perishing in fact! Still, it's a great start to summer :)

Posted
10th of June and blower heaters you get above the entrances of shops were on in town ... nuff said!

Not resorted to putting heating on like some I know have recently, but the jumper is on tonight.

They had the aircon on in Costa Coffee in Aber this afternoon, I felt cold as I was only wearing a T-shirt :)

58mm already this June, all of this has fallen on just 3 days though, so overall not so terrible really.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

On balance I have to say it has not been a bad start to June here in southern part of the Lake District. The first two days were super, but since the 3rd admittedly it has been consistently cool, Friday 5th and Saturday 6th being the worse days of the month so far, however, apart from the past few hours today we have been bone dry since lunchtime on Sunday, not bad going.

Granted there have been better starts to June but also worse starts. For those who like to see traditional synoptics turned on their heads, it has perhaps been one of the most interesting starts to June in many a year.

Posted

Strange how the weather flipped quickly towards the end of May from a very wet period in the north west and dry in the south east to the complete opposite.

Northern Ireland has been very dry the past couple of weeks. Ok, it hasn't been 'hot' by any standards, but it's good to see.

Posted

Late teens here both days as well - not a bad weekend with just some heavy rain and one flash of lightning on Saturday night. It was actually cooler today at 16C but felt warmer in the humid air.

South of the M4 really hasn't been bad at all so far this summer - we have eaten outside in the evening 6 times now this year - only managed once all summer last year.

Posted

It's been very dry here for weeks, appart from a few hours of rain last saturday evening.

plenty of dry,sunny and warm days here lately.

Posted

I do live only 4 miles or so from the spot in Essex where a couple of years in the 90s there was less than 6 inches of rain recorded in each year, which is less than some deserts. Mentioned in the Guinness records thingy at the time, I believe.

Also we more or less entirely missed all the snow in Feb, and the weather forecasts are rarely ever correct for around here, unless we are in a settled period. So maybe microclimate is correct terminology for my locality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Here in Exeter it hasn't been too bad IMO, we had hot dry sunny weather for the first four days, a cooler day with sunny intervals on the 5th, then a phenomenal wet day on the 6th (over 100mm in 12 hours locally, plus a big albeit localised storm that morning). Then the 7th was mostly sunny, the 8th and 9th mostly cloudy, and today mostly sunny with one heavy evening shower.

I put the "IMO" in there as there are a lot of people who would consider that Saturday to have been phenomenally bad, and if it had been steady frontal rain all day instead of that convective excitement I would have agreed with them.

Posted
We had some real heavy rain here at the end of last week but since then its been dry. Went down to the river Weir and it was so low you could see how the river bed had changed shape with the very heavy rain we had last year when it almost burst its banks. Its been chilly lately too, had the fire lit the last few nights, even the Geordies where saying it was cold! :(:(

Nearest Meto site ( Copley)has rainfall so far of 40.5mm, 66% of June average. Its been a cool first third to the month despite a very warm start. Current average here 8.8C

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted
Strange how the weather flipped quickly towards the end of May from a very wet period in the north west and dry in the south east to the complete opposite.

So everywhere that's in between loses out both ways- always the meat in the sandwich getting the boring cloud and drizzle, typical :D

5 days of summery weather broke down, followed by a mosly boring spell of cloudy weather with light showers; little sunshine here since June 4th. Several days lately below 15C, Saturday-Monday's 10-12C with rain in the early afternoon was in true June 1997 style. Nice thunderstorm on Wednesday, but so far it's a "Could do better, stop trying to copy 2007 because it won't work" for June 2009.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hehe well starting this topic has certainly created a fair bit of debate and some people are agreeing or disagreeing with what I said... I have to say it hasn't actually been too bad here, when I made this topic a week ago now it was when the GFS were forecasting 3-4 days of rain or showers with cool temperatures. That rain did materialise in some areas but in Leicester we only got a bit of rain and that was it. Even when the West and the North got all that torrential rain we only got about 3mm in total in Leicester and that didn't start till about 11pm at night. For the whole day it was dry while 80 miles North got flooded and 100 miles West got drenched.

However it has been a poor start to summer in terms of high pressure being in control and giving us prolonged sunny spells with very warm temperatures. It was cool all of last week and I even had to put my fan heater on for about 10 minutes the other day lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

The last 10 days prior to the weekend were cool.. but certainly not cold.. I was fine with just a T-Shirt most of the time.. it was 16-20C most of the time.. so not too bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Funny as I said wait till about the 15th and we had 75f plus today

Its been a average start to the summer B)

Posted

re the title of this thread.

some facts about the temperatures in the afternoon on each day so far in June

average afternoon temperatures range from 17C to 20C for much of mainland UK, say from Forth-Clyde south-apologies to those further north and N Ireland.

today 2-5C above average=warm

Saturday 13 June=ranging from 22-26C from northern England southwards

Friday 12 June=about average for most

Thursday 11 June=much as 11th

Wednesday 10 June=generally below average

Tuesday 9 June=below average

Monday 8 June=below average

Sunday 7 June=below average

Saturday 6 June=well below average

Friday 5 June=about average for most

Thursday 4 June=about average

Wednesday 3 June=hot or very warm for most

Tuesday 2 June=hot or very warm for most

Monday 1 June=hot or very warm for most

Well a mixed bag using the actual maximum temperatures for each day.

5 days with well above average

4 about average

5 below average

so all in all neither a good nor a bad start to summer in terms of afternoon temperatures for most of mainland UK.

Edited by johnholmes