Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 27th June >>

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Hi Paul,

It's been a cool afternoon here aswell. Not expecting anything but you never know. The cell south of Manchester on a parallel with you is still strong .

I've had a visual on it for the past two hours. It's quite literally on my doorstep, only about 15 miles away. I can't see the base yet, but it doesn't particularly threatening, or not as near as it did maybe 20 minutes ago. I know I sound pessimistic, but I think it will weaken by the time it gets here. I can't hear any thunder from it anyway; been listening intently for a while, but I'm just expecting a shot of rain and that's about it.

Edit: Last two meteox radar outputs shown a deterioration. It's making a beeline for the Dee Estuary - no doubt that will kill it off completely. There is just not enough energy here to support a storm (knew that at 6pm when it was still overcast and just beginning to show signs of brightening up).

Edited by Paul R

Posted
I've had a visual on it for the past two hours. It's quite literally on my doorstep, only about 15 miles away. I can't see the base yet, but it doesn't particularly threatening, or not as near as it did maybe 20 minutes ago. I know I sound pessimistic, but I think it will weaken by the time it gets here. I can't hear any thunder from it anyway; been listening intently for a while, but I'm just expecting a shot of rain and that's about it.

Edit: Last two meteox radar outputs shown a deterioration. It's making a beeline for the Dee Estuary - no doubt that will kill it off completely

If the dee doesn't kill it the wirral storm shield will. Had torrential rain last night but still haven't had any thunder this year.

Posted

hmmmm, very foggy and misty and murky outside, with moderate fine rain for last 20minutes, but nothing is showing up on the radar :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
If the dee doesn't kill it the wirral storm shield will. Had torrential rain last night but still haven't had any thunder this year.

We only had moderate rain here last night. Today I can understand a lack of electrical activity, but yesterday evening I was chatting to Stephen of the Prudence variety on MSN and neither of us could figure out why there had not been a storm; the energy was there, the heat and humidity was, and a convergence line was too. I think Monday and into next week holds more promise here, yet who knows...

Posted
We only had moderate rain here last night. Today I can understand a lack of electrical activity, but yesterday evening I was chatting to Stephen of the Prudence variety on MSN and neither of us could figure out why there had not been a storm; the energy was there, the heat and humidity was, and a convergence line was too. I think Monday and into next week holds more promise here, yet who knows...

Haven't spoken to Mr P for a while. Yesterday was strange but todays cooler temps with an onshore breeze here on the coast has stopped any convection.

Cape and Li looking good next week .

Posted
:D

IF IT COMES OFF it will be better than today....party time

Im not an expert but when was the last time we had 3000 cape and storms materialised. We used to get far better storms 20 -30 years ago or is it just me showing my age

Posted
Im not an expert but when was the last time we had 3000 cape and storms materialised. We used to get far better storms 20 -30 years ago or is it just me showing my age

no your correct.IM a young 40 yr old.and I can remember the 70 and 80's were better storms in them days ....Hopefully a return to the Spanish plume next week...with some night storms

with some nice spider lightning

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Surprised not many people took any pics or vids of todays storms. Well done to the people that did upload some though, were some great pics of the hail, just a shame there wasn't more.

Just got in from an evening in Tonbridge (West Kent - TN9 will tell you :lol: )

Anyway, cracking thunderstorm structures visible to my north around 8.30pm whilst in Tonbridge - pics taken through window of moving car at Tudeley. :)

(btw no thunder nor lightning at all here all day :( )

post-8218-1246136147_thumb.jpg

post-8218-1246136175_thumb.jpg

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
no your correct.IM a young 40 yr old.and I can remember the 70 and 80's were better storms in them days ....Hopefully a return to the Spanish plume next week...with some night storms

Lets hope so mate. What has changed with our climate from 20 years ago i thought the so called global warming (still not convinced its man made) meant more electrical activity for us but it seems to be less now.

Posted

Had a bit of a storm here between 8pm-8:30pm. Forked lightening too and the roads running a river.

I do hope we get more next week, as like Saint and Dogz I'm a 70s/80s child and haven't seen a good storm in ages.

Posted
Lets hope so mate. What has changed with our climate from 20 years ago i thought the so called global warming (still not convinced its man made) meant more electrical activity for us but it seems to be less now.

I dont beleive in global warming but thats another debate,,,,,

I think like everything goes in cycles.just my opinon...

J.H wrote this on the main page

Another Alert may be required tomorrow and probably most days for some part of the country through next week.

so hes confident of lots of possabilities himself.....

sure the GFS will chop and change from now untill then....but lets hope the consistency is kept up of high CAPE .LI levels throughout the week

twister

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Are we going to see storms popping up again 2moro?

Possibly, though probably not to the intensity of today's.

Posted

At last, the storm is not far away. Im in St Neots in west Cambs on the A1, and the rumbles of thunder certainly getting louder and i can definately smell rain outside...fingers crossed...

Posted

Utterly explosive thunderstorm here in SW Essex this eveing, sky went nearly black at one point and we had lightning every few seconds, certainly one of the strongest storms I've seen in a good few years, probably since 2004. Also had large hail as well which was a treat!

Posted

Gone quiet again here - dont think its gonna happen now. Am I in the firing line ?

Posted

Still a few flashes of lightning here and faint rumbles of thunder, main part has moved West affecting Oxford now.

A house caught on fire due to a lightning strike apparantly, there was a double strike in the direction the house was in which I witnessed, could'nt take the picture though..arrrgh

Posted
(btw no thunder nor lightning at all here all day )

We had thunder but did'nt see any lightning.

Edited by k66yla

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
Are we going to see storms popping up again 2moro?

Monday onwards looks good for midlands Ruth. Good luck! :lol:

Posted

16 year girl struck by lightning in Birmingham says sky news.

Posted
16 year girl struck by lightning in Birmingham says sky news.

It's a 16 year old male apparently according to BBC News. Treated for a heart attack following lightning strike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Is that all anaprop on NW radar? Only, it's been showing storms very close to me but nothings happening lol