Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 27th June >>

Ross B

Posted
Is it me or is this whole cell moving in an anti clockwise motion over London and the surrounding counties? Never seen this happen here before, looking at the radar it definitely appears it is.

Yes I thought so to - if you look at the satellite picture movie you can see the circulation setting up.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-...;soort=satradar

Stewart

Posted

Frequent thunder and lightning with some strikes being too close for comfort, 1 fantastic fork lightning that had split into 2 and very heavy rain here, huge drops. Roads have streams of water and the bottom of my garden is a river.

Iv tried taking a few pics but with no luck....i'll keep trying though lol :D

Posted

Was nice to hear a few distant rumbles of thunder a couple of hours ago. Clouds overhead do look unstable, over the past 30 mins large drops of rain have fell and quickly evaporated.

A couple of images to show the clouds - first off the weathercam and a second wide angle dslr.

The weathercam is located in the plantpot to the lower left of the second image!

post-3585-1246131338_thumb.jpg

post-3585-1246131374_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_jamcams.aspx#mapSection

looking at the cams looking very wet on the m25 looking very wet in and around London with thunderstorms

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-...;soort=satradar

Great link.. went right around the M25 in 5 minutes!

Wet along the north and east then suddenly dry along most of the south and west sections.

Posted
Looking at the way the rainfall is circulating, theres a good possibility that a surface low is developing. Thats probably why the most intense storms have formed more or less stationery, only rotating.

There was a small circulation visible near the IOW this morning which has drifted north east so it certainly makes sense

Posted
Guess what...... We still have some Lightning and Thunder...... With heavy rain. :D

Im just on the edge of your storm saint. looks good over your way ;edit did you see that

Edited by remymartin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

very dark clouds to the NE producing an almost continuous v. distant rumble, shame there moving away as far as i can work out though.

We had some sharp rain and a couple of big rumbles, no hail though like some other people were showing -wow there were some giants!

Posted

The first storm took about an hour to go through here, causing all sorts of havoc with flooded tube stations. John Inverdale on the Tennis claimed that somewhere about 5 miles from Wimbledon had 4 inches of rain, which seems slightly excessive (!), although the rain was very heavy at times. There's more rumbles of thunder now and it's just started raining again.

Posted

The rain was easing here, as it looked to be clearing with clouds moving to the west or north west, although now, it appears clounds returning and rain getting heavier. All very interesting.

Storms to the N of London moving NW, Storms to the S moving SE... Is it possible to have a Divergence zone? :D

Posted

I have this beauty to my East. :D

Funny how I can think of so many storm days where I've had a storm take that path Northwards though N Kent and up towards Southend way, I have an almost identical picture to that one from 2006.

post-3545-1246132646_thumb.jpg

Edited by jshaw

Posted
Torrential rain, electricity dips, distant rumbles and black clouds here - 5 miles SE of Manchester Airport. Anyone know if something's kicking off, as the conservatory's starting to leak! :D

I'm on the Wirral and we have an anvil approaching from that direction. Hopefully it will keep going till dark.

Posted

Central Manchester and North Manchester has just had incredible torrential rain, some of the worst I have ever seen. Suprisingly, only saw 1 flash of lightning, but hear quite a few rumbles of thunder. This is after an incredibly humid day, with very little sunshine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
I'm on the Wirral and we have an anvil approaching from that direction. Hopefully it will keep going till dark.

Can see the same anvil as you at the moment Shaun. Saw it develop about two hours ago and it's just creeping closer ever so slowly. However the sun has gone down now so I'm not sure how long it can stay active for (here today it's been overcast, rather cool and breezy - the sun only came out after 6pm so I'm doubtful of the energy available here currently).

Posted

Talking about these close proximity strikes, I can hear aload of fire engines making there way somewhere.

As im writing this 1 VERY CLOSE strike and LOUD THUNDER. Wow :D

EDIT: And iv noticed a cell has suddenly popped up over oxford

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

The anvil to my east does look to be weakening if I dare say it...

Posted

Cumulus have been towering more in the last few hours than any other time of day so a good evening in that respect :D and there are still TCU,had one shower which come in from the east not much rain though,a TCU to the SSW which later gave one rumble of thunder which was better than yesterday.

Not surprising the SE is getting all the action with this little developing low.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/bracka.gif

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
Central Manchester and North Manchester has just had incredible torrential rain, some of the worst I have ever seen. Suprisingly, only saw 1 flash of lightning, but hear quite a few rumbles of thunder. This is after an incredibly humid day, with very little sunshine!

Just having our 2nd one here now, worse than the first, but no thunder this time. Our road is a swimming pool!

ETA 3 bath towels and 5 teatowels drenched. We really need to get the conservatory leak fixed, but it only ever happens in really torrential rain! :D

Edited by Stubbette

Posted

Are the storms that are here now going to keep going or developing through the night? I only ask now because theres a 56% storm risk from 19:00 to 1:00 for my area....

Posted
Can see the same anvil as you at the moment Shaun. Saw it develop about two hours ago and it's just creeping closer ever so slowly. However the sun has gone down now so I'm not sure how long it can stay active for (here today it's been overcast, rather cool and breezy - the sun only came out after 6pm so I'm doubtful of the energy available here currently).

Hi Paul,

It's been a cool afternoon here aswell. Not expecting anything but you never know. The cell south of Manchester on a parallel with you is still strong .