Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 27th June >>

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Ok heres a question.

Why is the SE and London ares prone to storms and MCS, or at least they are more comman down there?

Is it all the surface heating London gets because of all the concrete?

Just wondering really.

Posted
I' think i first heard the thunder rumbling about 6pm and lightning started about 7pm so it's been a good storm, one of the best i've seen for quite a few years and it still rumbles on.

The weird thing is the rain moved towards Hemel and Lightning is more towards the Hemel way BUT looking on traffic cams on the M1 near Luton you can see the strom clouds and rain has started....... And SnowJoke can see something moving up the M1 so could this storm just be expanding?

It's quite a large area of thundery rain when you check out the satellite and radar together.

The other week was more traditional 'storms' because they were isolated and potent. This is fairly big, but still fairly electrical.

Posted

finally gone quiet here after the best storm ever for me, at one point there was about six flashes one after the other then the loudest thunder! If I see better than that over the next few days I will be amazed :lol:

Posted
They are not showing any signs of weakening atm, don't start putting a jinx on what could be the first great storms of the year for Luton, MK and Bedford :lol:

It was for St. Albans, and possibly the best for a few years so hope it goes you way! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder
Close lighting here in stevenage now, taken a while to get here though :lol:

Its looking very grim and black over your way from here in Hitchin!

Skys getting very very dark here now, still no rain, odd flash of lightning but looks like its coming from Luton way, and deep rolling rumbles. Birds hav dropped from the sky and its gone very quiet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Great photos and vids.

Looks fairly bad London way.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Its not only the surface heating from cities kane. I think it also has something to do with the flat topography of the land in the SE and surrounding london. Not that many hills apart from the downs and chilterns. So any heat at ground lvl is radiated upwards and theres not hills ect to interfere with wind convergence ect.

Posted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57u/sets/72157620500550221/

Right, here are some pictures of the large hailstones & flooding, and the other half has also downloaded a couple of videos too. Enjoy!

ps - sorry about the state of my cooker in one of the hailstone pics :lol:

im just down the road from you what a storm it went on for ages my back garden is really flooded

Posted

http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_jamcams.aspx#mapSection

looking at the cams looking very wet on the m25 looking very wet in and around London with thunderstorms

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-...;soort=satradar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow
Its not only the surface heating from cities kane. I think it also has something to do with the flat topography of the land in the SE and surrounding london. Not that many hills apart from the downs and chilterns. So any heat at ground lvl is radiated upwards and theres not hills ect to interfere with wind convergence ect.

Thanks Snow :lol:

Posted
Ok heres a question.

Why is the SE and London ares prone to storms and MCS, or at least they are more comman down there?

Is it all the surface heating London gets because of all the concrete?

Just wondering really.

I think you are on the right path. Almost certainly surface temperatures - which are affected by mans influence.

Posted

Is it me or is this whole cell moving in an anti clockwise motion over London and the surrounding counties? Never seen this happen here before, looking at the radar it definitely appears it is.

Posted

Winds picking up here now, but its moving incredibly slowly. One minute the winds gusty, next its calm once more. Very odd, but the suns now blocked out by the cirrus layer.

Posted
Storms to the N of London moving NW, Storms to the S moving SE... Is it possible to have a Divergence zone? :o

Well, like I said above, this rain over me seems to be swirling around not knowing which way to go! :lol: Shame the thunder/lightning has died down now.

EDIT: Just as I said that, big CC lightning and crack of thunder! :o

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

very dark black clouds forming south of me over the Orwell bridge no sound of thunder very still and hot and humid looks like we could be infore a lively night here soon

Posted
Storms to the N of London moving NW, Storms to the S moving SE... Is it possible to have a Divergence zone? :lol:

Looking at the way the rainfall is circulating, theres a good possibility that a surface low is developing. Thats probably why the most intense storms have formed more or less stationery, only rotating.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Cell going up to the south west again , but more cumulus now building further east :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Torrential rain, electricity dips, distant rumbles and black clouds here - 5 miles SE of Manchester Airport. Anyone know if something's kicking off, as the conservatory's starting to leak! :lol: