Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Currently a cell to my east. It looked quite promising; large anvil and some cauliflower clouds shooting up around it. It's going to go east of me but looks to be heading in a northerly direction. Though it appeared to be fragmenting about ten mins ago, the latest radar output has shown otherwise, so one to keep an eye on for the next hour or so. Very muggy and still outside currently.

Edit: Looking quite dark to the east now, slate grey skies.

Edited by Paul R

Posted

Just driven back from Brighton to London and all you can see is this big mushroom over London, it was going nowhere just growing and growing upwards shame I could not get a picture. From the very edge of South London we can hear the distant rumbles of thunder, its almost a repeat of last night.

Edited by HighPressure

Posted
That was the best forecast I`ve seen for potential thunderstorms for every day for a whole working week since the early 80`s
yes good forecast from country file...TS everyday somewhere in the UK...

Even now looking into Saturday but they are unsure as its to far away at this time..

Huge upgrade on tomorrows forecast showing thunderstorms even into Wales,this broken front must the trigger.

As for the rest of the week I may of jumped the gun,with so much cloud was still shown with the also upgraded troughs,will this be a mid-level Alt-cas or TCU/CB`s or both probably.

As for early 80`s it was just mainly cumulonimbus thunder clouds.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack0.gif

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack1.gif

Further west midweek.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack2.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

The cell to my east is now clearing to the North. It's very close, almost on top of me, but not heard any thunder from it. It is showing signs of decaying, yet I'm not prepared to confirm whether it is or not as it's just too close to see properly. The rain core is about 10 miles away, so Chester must have got a soaking, but it is moving off fairly quickly now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
Anyone in the know think i should chase this? Its about to dissappear behind the houses. Just a gust front/shelf?

post-26-1246215255_thumb.jpg

Yeah that looks a bit like a supercell formation to me, it probably isn't though since well, there hasn't been many strikes or tornado reports from your area today has there?

Posted
Yeah that looks a bit like a supercell formation to me, it probably isn't though since well, there hasn't been many strikes or tornado reports from your area today has there?

Na, just lots of heavy rain so i would doubt it was a supercell.

Posted

Interestingly there are still towering cumulus clouds forming here despite the sun setting, I doubt any of them will develop in to a night time storm however as much as I would like to see one.

Posted
Interestingly there are still towering cumulus clouds forming here despite the sun setting, I doubt any of them will develop in to a night time storm however as much as I would like to see one.

I saw some TCU develop south of the cell that I was rabbiting on about 30 mins ago. It was unexpected to see as the sun was just disappearing, but I could also see some decent cells to the north over North East Merseyside. No development round here now, but was interesting to see something go up so late in the day.

Posted
2600 CAPE and -6 LI forecasted for Thursday :winky:

Almost definitely will be downgraded

I'd actually be quite worried if that did come off on Thursday.

Posted

charts updating now...still on tomorrow......which is looking good

very interesting on the latest GFS charts for tomorrow with a slight up grade for the midlands

East midlands I should say

Tuesdays got some kick about it :winky: :D

Edited by dogs32

Posted

which is going to be Nuke day Ross...Thursday or Friday :winky: ....

even weather presenters mentioning it now on TV....

Ross your love Wednesday maybe time for you to practice your lightning photography

Wales is in for Armagedeon

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I'm thrilled it's still looking good for tomorrow!!! :D

And Tuesday even better. We have our own mini intense area of instability pleasantly situated directly over Gloucestershire :winky:

ukcapeli.png

EDIT: Weds now looking better for Wales, risk is further west.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Wales in prime position as the front pushes from the west against the warm humid air for Tues

Edited by dogs32

Posted

yes many places might catch a storm at some point this week...But I reckon the Welsh are going to get the most fireworks at this point...Just my opinon...dont take my word for it.....

I think this front will struggle to push East.

So lots of oppertunities for the West for the week...again just an my personal opinon at present

Fireworks for the East Friday according to the GFS

Edited by dogs32

Posted
which is going to be Nuke day Ross...Thursday or Friday :winky: ....

even weather presenters mentioning it now on TV....

Ross your love Wednesday maybe time for you to practice your lightning photography

Wales is in for Armagedeon

Forget wednesday, tomorrow looks amazing! :D

Cape of over 1000+ and LI's of -3 in Scotland is incredibly rare.

ukcapeli.png

Winds from the east/South east will drag the storms from the area of 1500+ cape in this direction which form over the higher ground:

ukwind.png

Precip:

ukprec.png

Looking forward to tomorrow!

(i know CAPE probably wond end up being as high, but you never know...)

In fact Pat, CAPE isn't that good for here on wednesday? Not bad on thursday however...

Posted
Forget wednesday, tomorrow looks amazing! :winky:

Cape of over 1000+ and LI's of -3 in Scotland is incredibly rare.

ukcapeli.png

Winds from the east/South east will drag the storms from the area of 1500+ cape in this direction which form over the higher ground:

ukwind.png

Precip:

ukprec.png

Looking forward to tomorrow!

so I take it you dont wont this then :D

(i know CAPE probably wond end up being as high, but you never know...)

Edited by dogs32