Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The cells around E and N Yorks are really getting going now, quite a few strikes showing on the Netweather lightning detector.

Here's the latest Netweather radar...

post-3392-1246200635_thumb.png

Don't think they'll make it up here, they seem to be turning from a NW to a W/NW direction, must be the onshore wind.

Posted

http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_jamcams.aspx#mapSection

just had a quick look arouned the m25 some very dark clouds arouned woodford-loughton m11 jun 4 at the moment

Edited by tinybill

Posted

There's a big dark cloud to the southwest of me here, looks threatening.

Re: will it move west? Hard to say, nothing is really moving anywhere today.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted
Definitely looking odd outside now - sky growing darker - Essex MAY be in for something shortly, though as I said its quite hard to tell with a lot of muck around the base!

Does look dark towards N London too, backing up the claims of thunder there!

Probably a plane! you can't get thunder without lightning, but you can get lightning without thunder ;) .. No sferics detected anywhere south, and i have been watching the lightning radars for around 50 mins now.

Posted
The cells around E and N Yorks are really getting going now, quite a few strikes showing on the Netweather lightning detector.

Hoping they make it up here.

Im keeping an eye on those showers to the west of Grimsby, which are about 10mile away from my area.

Posted

Just a quick question. I've been looking at the NetWeather Xtra section in the hopes of purchasing something to help track the storms, just on a trial basis...so for one month to start with. Thing is I don't know which is best to try, the Radar Sub, Lite Sub, or Full Sub. I'm a complete novice really so I don't know which would be best as I really need something relatively easy to understand. Any suggestions please. ;)

Posted
Just a quick question. I've been looking at the NetWeather Xtra section in the hopes of purchasing something to help track the storms, just on a trial basis...so for one month to start with. Thing is I don't know which is best to try, the Radar Sub, Lite Sub, or Full Sub. I'm a complete novice really so I don't know which would be best as I really need something relatively easy to understand. Any suggestions please. ;)

Get the full subscription for 1 month, i did, it's fantastic! if you struggle to come to terms or understand anything just ask, the NMM is fantastic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yeah definitely a development here and moving North - the most organised so far today. Increasingly dark base and increasingly defined upper body!

Something should start happening towards Essex very soon.

Posted

I'd go for the Radar sub - you get the radar which is fantastic. I didn't go for the Lite/Full mainly because I didn't have a clue what most of the features were! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Maybe we may get a storm in Glos after all. This is from Met Office: ;)

This Evening and Tonight:Scattered showers and thunderstorms moving northwards across the region tonight although Cornwall and west Devon should stay mainly dry. Some mist and low cloud likely to develop especially near coasts and hills. Minimum temperature 14 °C.

Just starting to rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I will go as far as to say this cell now to my NE will kick off imminently.

Looking all the more thundery as time goes on! Another tower shot up above the house, looking still dark towards London too!

All gone quiet from Biggin Hill too leading me to think the aircraft are avoiding for one reason or another!?!?!?

EDIT - Two planes (Mustangs?) just gone roaring over so scratch that!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Cell near brum has just hit us, no thunder as yet but the wind is very gusty

Posted

Don't think they'll make it up here, they seem to be turning from a NW to a W/NW direction, must be the onshore wind.

At least all that murk and drizzle is gone for the time being,turned into quite a pleasant day.

Lets hope those storms can make it up here.Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

Posted
I'd go for the Radar sub - you get the radar which is fantastic. I didn't go for the Lite/Full mainly because I didn't have a clue what most of the features were! ;)

Thanks Lewis and Tommy

Think I'll go along with Tommy's suggestion as I won't have a clue about the other stuff.

Not sure what about this talk about darkening skys North London way as they seem to be brightening here. Think I'll pop my head outside the door though and see what I can see in the distance.

Cell to my West has intensified and is releasing to huge drops of rain. No thunder as of yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a storm as it moves North. Cells do seem to firing from nowhere now, so in the next hour it could turn interesting. Though I understand the most intense cells atm are in the NE.

Yes they are indeed. I can even see a very distant anvil to my NE, which judging by the radar, has to be from one of the cells north of the Humber.

Posted

Why is everyone saying "CELL over me now" cell developing, then say but no thunder! A cell or known as a celluar thunderstorm is when theres sferics. If it's not thunder and lightning, it's a shower, or a sharp shower. God sorry mods, but i had to get that off my chest.

Posted
Cell to my West has intensified and is releasing to huge drops of rain. No thunder as of yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a storm as it moves North. Cells do seem to firing from nowhere now, so in the next hour it could turn interesting. Though I understand the most intense cells atm are in the NE.

Yep we have that shower here atm, huge drops of rain... just got soaked. ;)

Posted
Why is everyone saying "CELL over me now" cell developing, then say but no thunder! A cell or known as a celluar thunderstorm is when theres sferics. If it's not thunder and lightning, it's a shower, or a sharp shower. God sorry mods, but i had to get that off my chest.

Im sorry ;)

Posted

WOW really really windy must be gusting to about 25 mph leaves going flying wouldn't be surprised if we got the odd tornado from this...erm...cell? ;)