Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

just a bit of info...

BBC Weather guy said something not so long ago which I DIDNT even think about.......Tuesday early hrs an area of extremely heavy rain thundery in nature spreading up from France (Bay of Biscay area) in the early hrs....3.00am on wards..........Night storms maybe....

Anyway news to me.....

Sky girl who used to work for the Beeb said the Storms Thursday will be SEVERE in nature...

thats all folks

oh also Joe wheeler said 32oC at some point

Posted

The sky is getting very dark to my South/South East now. Showers on radar continuing to intensify, wouldn't be surprised to hear a rumble of thunder soon.

(postcode zoom "ka1")

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
just a bit of info...

BBC Weather guy said something not so long ago which I DIDNT even think about.......Tuesday early hrs an area of extremely heavy rain thundery in nature spreading up from France (Bay of Biscay area) in the early hrs....3.00am on wards..........Night storms maybe....

Anyway news to me.....

Sky girl who used to work for the Beeb said the Storms Thursday will be SEVERE in nature...

thats all folks

oh also Joe wheeler said 32oC at some point

Ties in the GFS Pat, , ran a loop for early - mid afternoon tuesday, some interesting charts for tuesday...

post-4149-1246210798_thumb.png post-4149-1246210830_thumb.png post-4149-1246210850_thumb.png post-4149-1246210871_thumb.png

Posted
Ties in the GFS Pat, , ran a loop for early - mid afternoon tuesday, some interesting charts for tuesday...

post-4149-1246210798_thumb.png post-4149-1246210830_thumb.png post-4149-1246210850_thumb.png post-4149-1246210871_thumb.png

thanks mate.....I think my mind as been on home grown stuff for this week so was taken back about his prediction......also night storms are the best...great for photo's

probally start off early hrs down South as they work they way up north................Also Sky going for quite a few storms for the far North at some point this week

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Storm pics from yesterday in South Bucks, sorry about quality, taken from old mobile phone:

post-8427-1246208858_thumb.jpg Rapid Convection to the East (towards West London) at 4 PM.

post-8427-1246208923_thumb.jpg Don't know if you can see, but rapid, explosive convection taking place.

post-8427-1246209052_thumb.jpg Flooded front garden and road after torrential rain and hail.

post-8427-1246209106_thumb.jpg Torrential hail that fell on the roof.

post-8427-1246209136_thumb.jpg After the storm, as cloud broke up a bit and the storm moved northwards.

post-8427-1246209169_thumb.jpg Looking west towards west bucks/oxfordshire after the storm.

post-8427-1246209188_thumb.jpg Possible funnels or some sort of twisting to the south.

post-8427-1246209199_thumb.jpg Another towering cumulus cloud to the south, after the storm.

post-8427-1246209206_thumb.jpg TODAY: Taken at 16:30 looking south. Dark, turbulent cloud but expectedly, it produced nothing. Maybe the odd spot of rain.

post-8427-1246209213_thumb.jpg TODAY: Taken again around 16:30 looking south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nice pics there UKSupercell, especially like the flooded garden pic, must have been seriously heavy rain!

Posted

A large TCU just to my east pretty close by, plumes of cauliflower cloud heading upwards, still a short base though may develope into a CB nicest sight of the day,a few more smaller TCU to the south of that.

Otherwise it`s still sunny but thicker frontal cloud coming in.

Posted

Great photos UKSupercell, never seen anything like the flooding/hail you had here before, but there's been a few places nearby had that in the past couple of weeks. Well, here's hoping for next week!

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted
Nice pics there UKSupercell, especially like the flooded garden pic, must have been seriously heavy rain!

Cheers mate! Yeah, it was some of the most torrential rain i've ever seen and probably the biggest downpour of hail i've ever seen in my life, everywhere was flooded. Shame I didn't have a better camera to take the pictures with.

Posted

This is the slowest i've ever seen a storm move - It has moved probably less than a kilometre in around 4 hours!

It's painful to see such a huge black mass with anvil etc, whilst being south of the far southern edge of storm activity under clear skies.

Posted
Great photos UKSupercell, never seen anything like the flooding/hail you had here before, but there's been a few places nearby had that in the past couple of weeks. Well, here's hoping for next week!

Cheers tommy, well I think next week, hopefully our area will get some pretty big storms near the end of the week. Just keep hoping lol.

Posted

I second that, watched some great clouds building earlier on, 'bout 3ish, but nothing came of it, hope it comes some time this week, be a shame to have all this cape and not use it!

Posted

One of the best looking cells in the UK but no thunder or lightning!

post-26-1246214092_thumb.png

Ayr/Prestwick/Troon must be a bit wet now though... :D

Posted

started to rain here again, bit heavier this time. Sooooo muggy it's insane, didn't help when doing the race of life today :D

Posted
One of the best looking cells in the UK but no thunder or lightning!

post-26-1246214092_thumb.png

Ayr/Prestwick/Troon must be a bit wet now though... :D

Taking pics of this but it is quite familiar to some stuff i saw on the USA storm chase... pics up soon. ( might be watching a lowering)

Posted
Sooooo muggy it's insane,

Same here, infact the temps are still holding at 24C as of 7.30pm and this is the official recording and not a thermometre stuck outside in the sunshine. :D

For the first time today its beginning to look very stormy outside.

Posted

Anyone in the know think i should chase this? Its about to dissappear behind the houses. Just a gust front/shelf?

post-26-1246215255_thumb.jpg

Posted

That was the best forecast I`ve seen for potential thunderstorms for every day for a whole working week since the early 80`s :D:D:D:D:D:D sorry got carried away. :D

It wasn`t as promising as then which was the ultimate, as there was the old thunderstorm shower symbols shown each day then.

Posted
Anyone in the know think i should chase this? Its about to dissappear behind the houses. Just a gust front/shelf?

post-26-1246215255_thumb.jpg

Might be worth a shot Ross, if you don't and summat happens you will kick yourself later.

Posted

The heat and humidity is expected to fuel some severe thunderstorms this week with the risk of flash flooding.

It has already claimed one victim after a teenage boy was struck by lightning in a park in Birmingham.

The 16-year-old suffered a heart attack after the incident in Small Heath Park and is now in a critical but stable condition in hospital.

Posted

The sky is looking rather black and forbidding to the north west of me and it's tried to rain (spitting) in the last few minutes.

Posted

yes good forecast from country file...TS everyday somewhere in the UK...

Even now looking into Saturday but they are unsure as its to far away at this time..

Ross nice pic....I see what you mean with with the lines running through it...

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Might be worth a shot Ross, if you don't and summat happens you will kick yourself later.
yes good forecast from country file...TS everyday somewhere in the UK...

Even now looking into Saturday but they are unsure as its to far away at this time..

Ross nice pic....I see what you mean with with the lines running through it...

Cheers guys, it just fell apart pretty much in front of me so no point chasing that i guess :) It looked like a sort of lowering with striations along it (the lines). Reminded me of the states anyway :lol:

Posted

Started raining here . . . just light at the moment

According to the radar there are some heavier showers heading this way. May even join together.

Know its clutching at straws but any chance of it being more than just rain??

Postcode PE14

Jan