Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm....just got back from a quick ride out.....That cell between Walsall & Cannock is a bit of a let down so far, and looks like its weakening on radar, its disorganised, dropping some heavy rain though, but no lightning from what I saw.....Back here in Penkridge, there's nice outflow winds from the shower, quite a refreshing breeze in fact....There's another cell further south, but doesnt look too impressive TBH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
hmm....just got back from a quick ride out.....That cell between Walsall & Cannock is a bit of a let down so far, and looks like its weakening on radar, its disorganised, dropping some heavy rain though, but no lightning from what I saw.....Back here in Penkridge, there's nice outflow winds from the shower, quite a refreshing breeze in fact....There's another cell further south, but doesnt look too impressive TBH

I know, it dragged it's heels and collapsed. Just light rain here at the moment and I think that is all I am going to get today.

Posted

may I make a plea to all our new arrivals on Net Wx, especially on the storms thread

first of all a big welcome, enjoy the forum and have a look at all the other goodies available on NW, some are free some you have to pay for.

But here is the request PLEASE put your nearest town in your avatar or in your signature.

Unless you do that your informative posts about what you see out of your window is quite useless as none of us know where you are referring to?

many thanks

John H

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
skys went very dark towards London but nothing seems to be happening.... some more sun would help but is quite over cast now.

The clouds seem to be moving towards Oxford way, still dark just not doing anything at all, has become a bit cooler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I know, it dragged it's heels and collapsed. Just light rain here at the moment and I think that is all I am going to get today.

There's still an outside chance of something developing in the next couple of hours, if the NMM model is on the mark....Its showing an area of low level wind convergence transfering westwards to our area, with the few hundred Joules of CAPE, and the lift still available, it might just trigger something :oops:

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Netweather radar picking up strikes just west of Scarborough and just to the North of York , i would say at a guess around the Northallerton , Thirsk area

Posted

radar grab courtesy of NW Extra (just a few quid a month - an absolute steal!)

Note the perfect storm shield around Penkridge (ST19) built with loving care, stunning architecture :oops:

post-4149-1246207551_thumb.png

Posted

The line of showers to the East of York that have been sat there all day appear to be moving west and are really intensifying, this the only band of ppn in the Uk that containts lightning, PLEASE HIT HERE !!!

Posted

The sun has finally shown itself after being hidden most of the day, no doubt too late to produce any worthwhile heat :oops:

Posted

Bone dry and thunder-free again in Northants. Some good [lengthy] sunny spells earlier but cloudier now. Maybe something more interesting later, like a flying pig.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Better than what weve had. Missed out by 1 mile on a downpour here for the 2nd day running. :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Note the perfect storm shield around Penkridge (ST19) built with loving care, stunning architecture :oops:

storm shield here as well (ST17), could see the storm clouds to my south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

You call that a shield?

We do one so much better: ( :lol: )This beast formed right over us and dumped just one mile North of us approx. Rubbish...the same happened yesterday!!!

post-6797-1246207922_thumb.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I must admit, today, watching those 'potent' cells approaching, both in the field, and on the radar, has reminded me of my first girlfriend....She looked great coming towards me, displayed some real potential as we first touched, and then one disappointing Bang and the novelty soon wore off!!! :oops:

Posted

Well, for the first time in 3 days we had some serious sunshine today. For most of the morning clouds were developing to the south of me, hitting about 15,000 feet and decaying.

Now have a big Cb heading in my general direction from the south. I would expect that Norwich and slightly west of there have had a good drop of rain.

Interesting, the the surface winds for my local are almost dead easterly ( Mainly sea breeze I think) 850's are South Westerlies which, looks like tracking a big shower, if not storm over me. Will be interesting to see what happens when the sea breeze drops out

Posted
At least all that murk and drizzle is gone for the time being,turned into quite a pleasant day.

Lets hope those storms can make it up here.Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

Too much of an easterly vector in the wind basically. Places within 0-10 miles of the east coast seeing more convective inhibition until perhaps Wednesday when the risk extends over a larger area.

I must admit, today, watching those 'potent' cells approaching, both in the field, and on the radar, has reminded me of my first girlfriend....She looked great coming towards me, displayed some real potential as we first touched, and then one disappointing Bang and the novelty soon wore off!!! :oops:

She was struck by lightning?

Sorry to hear it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
The line of showers to the East of York that have been sat there all day appear to be moving west and are really intensifying, this the only band of ppn in the Uk that containts lightning, PLEASE HIT HERE !!!

According to the radar, its been squashed around northeast york into nothing all that impressive- however, looking out to the east of here there ae some good fresh towers going up, only closer than the ones earlier. Its the last hope for you and me today i reckon 10123! Either way, at least we've lost that murk!

bb

Posted

Just blanket greyness to the south here. Nothing rainlike anywhere abouts. Radar confirms that. :oops:

Still got blue bits to the north of here.

Posted

Amazing what a bit of sun can do, cells have gone up over SW Scotland within the last 90mins i've been away from the pc! No sferics yet tho.

Posted
Netweather radar picking up strikes just west of Scarborough and just to the North of York , i would say at a guess around the Northallerton , Thirsk area

Yep, saw 3 or 4 strikes and probs about 30 rumbles. Some moderate rain passed through and sunny now.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dead duck around here going back to normal form. Biggest bangs and noise are from next door an even they are a long way from previous form and failing to be annoying. Needed to cloud to burn off early morning I reckon.

Posted
She was struck by lightning?

Sorry to hear it.

'Twas my electrifying charm, young man :oops:

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Lancs. 12 miles NE of Preston in SW Bowland. Sorry JOHN will try to do better eventually. I need someone at my elbow as I'm not at all techie. If you look at the MO radar for NW England at 5pm, I am under the white spot east of Preston approx.

Meanwhile -- the rain has almost finished here and the huge nass of cloud seems to be moving very slowly NNE inland over the fells. Just checked rain gauge and we've had 11.5mm in that spell.

There are some tall fast growing narrow towers to the SE, approx Manchester direction.