Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Skies growing darker London way still - though not seeing a lot aloft so cannot speak really of the organisation or structure of it - just growing blacker lol

Not sure if there is anything to the south but there is that darkening haze once more - any suggestions from down that way?

Line of very heavy rain/storms heading up towards the NE!

Watch out up there! ;)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Thunder in Coventry my Aunt reports.

Posted

i thought i heard a rumble earlier but thought it may have been a lorry or something?

Posted
Band of light patchy rain moving north-east in somerset doesnt seem to be intensifying much all we have is some light rain. no weather warning again i see so maybe we are in with a chance. ;)

Absoloutely no chance Mullender, just a frustrating, disappointing, annoying weak front bringing showery light rain with overcast and very humid conditions.

Posted
Skies growing darker London way still - though not seeing a lot aloft so cannot speak really of the organisation or structure of it - just growing blacker lol

Not sure if there is anything to the south but there is that darkening haze once more - any suggestions from down that way?

Line of very heavy rain/storms heading up towards the NE!

Watch out up there! :lol:

Its all just mid level dross I think, what has happened is that a load of convection happened this morning, hit some kind of cap and spread out into dark mid level cloud, a lot of which has mamattus underneath, I've seen this happen before a lot of times, it looks very stormy but it isn't. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
Can anyone else from the London area see that very scary black mammatus infested anvil to the west of the city?

Yeah, in South Bucks I think i've got a similar dose of what your describing. Nothing really to the west but to the south east, East and North it's a lot darker with some bigger convection over the last hour and there is some very long stretches of dark, grey, ragged cloud, almost a bit like a form of mammatus. Nothings happening from it though, although about 30 minutes ago to the South, I swear I saw some rotation, there was a very dark cloud with some really ragged cloud hanging down from the base and it seemed to have formed a circle and was rotating, I dno though.

Reported: Can hear one or two very very faint rumbles in the distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just as I said just a few minutes ago, that cell to my west has intensfied considerably and I would if aj is reading this, he may be in with a chance of a storm.

Hellooooo!....was just out in the garden having a snooze on the hammock, when a low distant rumble awoke me from my slumber, though it might have been a plane decending into birmingham, but, no, definitely thunder, and its gone very dark as well

storm.jpg

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
Absoloutely no chance Mullender, just a frustrating, disappointing, annoying weak front bringing showery light rain with overcast and very humid conditions.

lol, we had that a few spots of rain and then stopped, and again, not enough to spoil my bbq im getting ready for!

Posted

aj where are you in staffordshire? im in burton on trent and its looking increasingly dark to the south of me

Posted

I now have my radar Subscription, so I'm all ready for the coming week. ;)

I have also taken a look outside the bedroom windows and I can declare that there are blue bits of sky to the north, but dark sky to the south with grey clouds (flat bottom and fluffy bits on top). Sorry for the lack of techno chat.

Posted

hate these hit and miss showers, they never seem to materilise round here, suppose i cant complaing have had 5storms so far this year, one of which wasnt even forecasted and under high pressure!

Posted

I'm hoping the line of storms in N Yorkshire can spread up here, i don't think they will move up here, so its looks like we have to rely on something homegrown and with me being only 8 miles from the coast, i am not hopeful.

At least its sunny though and the skies are getting clearer.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Lancs. SW Bowland, in hills 12 miles NE of Preston. A few spots of rain now. Huge black towering clouds have come up from the south and south west. Probably hit areas just west of us with some rain, eg Central Lancs and the Fylde. More biggies Burnley way. No blue sky anywhere now. Baling silage grass here like crazy. hoping no serious rain will hit us. Wind blowing all directions. Currently quite fresh from the W.

Posted

Looking at the fax theres a trough over N england with a little warm front must be another name for that then 2 cold fronts coming into the SW bringing tonights rain.

There really is nothing happening now except out to the west,a deflated TCU/stratocumululised shower.

It`s time for the west to see thunderstorms during this coming week with higher uppers and more moist/humid flow.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack1a.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
aj where are you in staffordshire? im in burton on trent and its looking increasingly dark to the south of me

Penkridge mate......several discrete cells (showers/storms/blue echos - whatever some people want to call 'em) are firing near the birmingham area...should be a noisy tea-time for many in the area!... :rolleyes:

post-4149-1246202972_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Heavy rain and hail over us at the moment which i did not expect looking at the radar?

Quite an intense downpour-no thunder or lightning tho

Posted
did anyone get a chance to get any photos's of the lightning yesterday in london preety spectacular

Do you mean these? Amazing shots of lightning over London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_...gallery.shtml?5

Posted

Anyhoos, I'm off for a little ride in my van, along with camera :rolleyes: ........a short 45 minute storm chase...lol

Posted

That anvil cloud to my northwest hardly seems to be moving, though is is getting increasingly dark in that direction and there are numerous other Cumulonimbus building all around me.

I just watched one form from a small fluffy cumulus in to what is probably a hefty shower by now over the course of 20 minutes sat out the back stuffing my face with pizza.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Those are the lightning shots from the infamous 6th August storms last year :rolleyes:

Edited by Harry

Posted

Lancs SW Bowland. In hills. 12 miles NE of Prerston. Heavy rain now. Raindrops the size of 50p pieces. No thunder yet. Getting wet. Grr.

Posted

Those are not yesterday's lightning photos as it says from early Thursday and plus those were taken at night time.

Mind you, i seen more lightning on that site than i have all 2009 so far, depressing. :rolleyes: