IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
CIMG0111.jpg

fast convection heading north

and yes the year is wrong I know

Look I realise todays been a real non event but posting pics from a year ago is pretty desperate :lol: :lol:

Posted
Here comes the heat now in my area, past few days has been very hazy with some low cloud hanging around, although very humid. Then today "WHAM" UV index sky high, blinding sun and now we jus hit the highet temp of this year at 27.2c, not bad at all. If the BBC forecast heatwave conditions for many parts especially wed/thurs/frid, they should ad Yorkshire/Humber area, regardless of the North SEA, this has no effect at the moment here. If it's 27.2c here today, its going to hit the 30's over the coming few days, but around the 28.4-29.3 mark more likely.

Be back later

lewis

lewis

I suggest you look at the latest visible sat picc which shows Hull in the clear-not so some parts of the Lincs and east Yorkshire coast-one needs to look beyond ones own back garden to get a broader picture I find.

Posted
Look I realise todays been a real non event but posting pics from a year ago is pretty desperate :lol: :D

:lol: :D

SORRY I COULDNT HELP MYSELF.....desperation

hard to see the convection at present ..will keep checking....but the last time I looked they seemed to trying to form a line east Glos

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Lets face it, the BBC weather forecasters don't have a clue when it comes to storms forecasting, to describe them as vague is an understatement. I would just focus on the models and various charts, see what ESTOFEX has predicted and read the posts from Nick F because they are ten times more informative that the crap you get on TV.

Edit: Forgot this is convective discussion thread :lol: Right, erm, no convection taking place here.

whilst agreeing with your comment about Nick F your other remark calling BBC weather forecasters 'don't have a clue' 'crap.. on tv', is hardly a constructive or even accurate post.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
But didn't the charts also spot the thunderyness coming up this morning that didn't seem to occur?

It's about 24C here, a good 4C lower than predicted and not had a single ray of sunshine all day! Stark contrast to yesterdays heat.

Sorry, that's my fault - I put shorts on this morning! :lol:

Is there any chance of this cloud breaking at all today? The north-west was meant to be in the firing line for any activity, and we've not even seen the sun yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
:lol: :lol:

SORRY I COULDNT HELP MYSELF.....desperation

Neither could I, see what I've just snapped :D

...As if...if I took a photo of the sky now it may as well be a cobalt blue ceramic tile - I haven't seen the skies this clear for such a long time for yonks, even in portugal there were cirrus and plane contrails occasionally!! :lol:

post-3790-1246374128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted
lewis

I suggest you look at the latest visible sat picc which shows Hull in the clear-not so some parts of the Lincs and east Yorkshire coast-one needs to look beyond ones own back garden to get a broader picture I find.

Yes i totally agree with you, it's a bit like trying to forecast isolated thunderstorms it's nearly impossible, but still i think the metoffice should extend the heat wave watch a little further north. But possibly a lower chance.

You may or may not agree with me, but even 27c is hot enough, look at some places down south, local areas hit 29-30c then some areas are 24-26c lower then some places further North, i just think the metoffice are trying to be to accurate.

Any how thats just my 2 pennys worth.

Edited by Lewis

Posted
Just for clarity Phil, if the above refers to my post, it was rant on behalf of all fellow Brits regarding how conditions just do not come together often enough. It wasn't regarding any particular region - it just seems when CAPE (using our beloved friend for arguments sake) is available over France and Benelux, BANG! When it's available over here, there is often a reason why it just does not come to fruition.

But yes, definitely agree with the July/Aug bit being the SE's prime time - almost all of the major storms printed on my memory, notably imports, occurred during these two months. Luckily, Thursday into Friday is July :lol: Unfortunately however, the models at the moment aren't causing me a huge amount of excitement.....yet! :lol:

Understood, Harry. I know just how the frustration feels. Been there in SummerS that never were, 2007/2008 and even when I travelled down to Exmouth on 6th September 2008, a flippin' storm over Solihull! ARRGHHHH!!

Otherwise I think this 'heatwave' has been overhyped for the west of the Midlands. 28.1ºc yesterday. Can't see that being topped this week.

Good luck with any storm situation. I'm still pinning on today/Thursday/Friday even if CAPE has diminished somewhat.

Phil.

Posted

.somewhere in the Midlands is going to get hit............All I can see is very large Nimbus and the typical looking thunder heads growing to my East......Like I say looks like rows of them forming..

If I have the direction correct for the Midlands

The only thing is there is fast approaching high cloud to my West.

can this kill them

Edited by dogs32

Posted

There is a thin band of rain moving North from France, over the channel and now heading towards Swindon.Just rain at the moment but you never know!

Posted
Oh man, music to my ears :lol: Yesterday you said you saw a long line of rapidly developing TCu and then this moved N and intensified into big Cbs. Would be good if this happened again today but I'm doubtful.

yes its the same area as yesterday...bit concerned about this high cloud fast approaching

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow
.somewhere in the Midlands is going to get hit............All I can see is very large Nimbus and the typical looking thunder heads growing to my East......Like I say looks like rows of them forming..

If I have the direction correct for the Midlands

The only thing is there is fast approaching high cloud to my West.

can this kill them

Dogs, be a mate and sent em to bridgnorth eh :lol:

Still patchy sunshine here so we may be able to warm the little beauties up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Any storms heading towards Cardiff area? I can see one towards Swansea?

Posted

The only interest I can see is some developing CB`s way out west,it was sunnier over there before with cumulus developing during the afternoon,mid level cloud here still but brighter.

Cooler today by 4c to this time yesterday

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
Dogs, be a mate and sent em to bridgnorth eh :lol:

Still patchy sunshine here so we may be able to warm the little beauties up

good luck...I really cant see them anymore....3 areas of fairly large Nimbus...last I looked the tops were starting to get high..

The type that usually turn's into heavy showers or TS by the look of them......

I have lots of high cloud taken over the view...and I DONT KNOW IF this cloud as stopped the convection on them cells..

So it's up to radar watching IF anything

On Sat24 there is a lovely image of the TS exploding in North France...check infra red out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
Any storms heading towards Cardiff area? I can see one towards Swansea?

Isolated but torrential downpours here, No thunderstorms though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
There is a thin band of rain moving North from France, over the channel and now heading towards Swindon.Just rain at the moment but you never know!

yeap you never know it might rain!!! :lol:

sorry its been a slow day!!

Posted

Yes it has weakened considerably while edging NNE this afternoon, just caught the edge of it here recently.

But of more interest if you have NW Extra rdar zoom to my postcode (BA13) and select the wind directions. All stations in the Western half are recording a S/SE'ly while those to the Eastern part are recording a N'ly. Two stations just a few miles apart have Boscombe Down as S'ly and Middle Wallop as N'ly!!...

... this suggests to me some sort of shallow LOW feature associated with the area of rain. Does anyone more learnéd know if such a feature has developed/moved up across CS England this afternoon? I'm sure a similar thing happened over Kent/London on Saturday.

Posted

yep! more blue sky appearing through these grey clouds now and sun is really trying to push through here but im thinking it might be too late in the day now for any storms to deveelop!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi all...not often I post on here and should do more often really. Only seem to do so when we have our weather extremes. Just wanted to say we had a lovely if not short lived storm here yesterday evening followed by isolated torrential downpours around lunchtime today. And having just checked the latest Sat24 output, there is a humdinger of a storm that has developed rapidly in the last 2 hours just to my South East...if it could only just shift a little further North and Westward...

Posted

Few cracks of thunder here now and seen one CC, looking very dark on the hills to my east. Seems to be just slipping by me now :lol: Missus has HUGE rain 8 miles up the road in machynlleth

Posted
there is a humdinger of a storm that has developed rapidly in the last 2 hours just to my South East...if it could only just shift a little further North and Westward...

That's the one!