Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

i think game on now.......hazy blue sky......very warm with a few pocket's of convection.............nothing major..

hopefully this will do the trick somewhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Well I suppose expressing your disappointment at the lack of convective developments is ok (I do it enough times) but people posting one short sentences about the current weather (dull here, light rain) is just off-topic.

Yeah true I suppose.

i think game on now.......hazy blue sky......very warm with a few pocket's of convection.............nothing major..

Here's hoping - will be nice to see some nice radar images coming through at least :D

That mess down over IoW and S coast looks nothing more now than moderate rain and dank skies - unless it intensifies as it moves further N, that and the associated cloud/muck it will bring could spoil many people's afternoon! :lazy:

Edited by Harry

Posted

My god what is it with knit picking on this forum!!!!

I think its good to know when potential convective weather is making landfall and what conditions they are giving.

Can hear rubbling to my south but maybe the army tanks on the ranges at Lulworth in which case I shouldn't really be mentioning that in this thread as tanks are not convective but its hard to tell the difference :lazy:

Lightning detector picking up some strikes in the english channel.

Edited by hazard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

i had that earlier, came to nothing, just went flat, still got grey skys here, temp has dropped from 26.0c to 23.4c with bit of a breeze. BORING :lazy:

Posted
umm that mass seems to be dying out as it hits the south coast :lazy:

and the rest is straying further west so i miss out again !

Hi Bofh,

I am in the same boat as you albeit slightly further west. In my experience when we get showery activity moving up from the IOW heading north it tends to miss here just to the west due to the downs and Salisbury Plain.

Ian

Posted

the sky here looks ready to explode with something, nothing showing on radar so hung washing out. :lazy:

looks like a few bits and bobs growing over Cornwall so im hoping they will be on the right track.. so hot here cant move without melting..

kaz x

sorry as i type just looked back at radar and some nice cells on way..

Edited by kaz

Posted
My god what is it with knit picking on this forum!!!!

I think its good to know when potential convective weather is making landfall and what conditions they are giving.

Can hear rubbling to my south but maybe the army tanks on the ranges at Lulworth in which case I shouldn't really be mentioning that in this thread as tanks are not convective but its hard to tell the difference

Lightning detector picking up some strikes in the english channel.

Hmm...the rainfall doesn't look especially impressive on radar, by any stretch. In fact there aren't many places showing particularly impressive downpours - a clump of showers running up towards the N showing some intensfication - some lively downpours across NW France.

Mind you - 14:38 - we are approaching initiation hour :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I do believe the sun is trying to break though here. AcCas I think I spotted through the haze.

It's also gotten alot warmer here too in the past hour, humidity is starting to rise compared to what it was before lunch.

I still think theres a strong chance today for something somewhere, however it could be anyones guess where they show up.

(I'm sorry weather09, i'm sure my post will probably annoy you)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Up to 25.9C here now, light breeze, plenty of high cloud, some sunshine, humid, would love to see a storm. Some BBC forecasts are going for heavy thundery rain in SW england tonight, others go for patchy rain, quite a difference!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I do believe the sun is trying to break though here. AcCas I think I spotted through the haze.

It's also gotten alot warmer here too in the past hour, humidity is starting to rise compared to what it was before lunch.

I still think theres a strong chance today for something somewhere, however it could be anyones guess where they show up.

(I'm sorry weather09, i'm sure my post will probably annoy you)

I dont care who I annoy....lol......its raining here, small pocket of convective rain pulsing up from deepest darkest worcestershire by the looks of things....I clinging to yours and Dogs32 optimism as its rather drab here, though very warm (my outdoor sensor is reading 24.1C)...I 'm thinking though, that with the energy, lift, and general all round instability of the air today, it wouldnt take much surface heating to really kick things off for a lucky few....So whilst doing my VAT return at home, I'm keeping my eye to the south, towards the gloucester/bristol area on the radar and SAT24 images to see what, if anything developes :lazy:

Posted

Not much convection going on here just grey skies but actally brightening up now with some breaks in the cloud starting to form 25.2C.

Posted

your going to hate me for saying this.......But before my bath I was watching a small cumuls cloud....

After my bath around 20 mins the thing is now a fairtly large Nimbus

.Infact it looks like its on the edge of a thunder head....

Remember it might fall apart.But at present looking good..................might take pic shortly...

direction South

keep you updated...good or bad

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Omg, it's so hot and humid here! especially in the tent. Cows in field are getting really agitated lol.Light rain on an off here and the sun coming out every now and then heating it up even more.

Posted

What irritates me about this fair island we live on is this - when some conditions are favourable for thunderstorm development in one area, i.e high temperatures, decent humidity, we lack other ingredients such as wind shear, CZs, lapse rates, CAPE, LI. In other areas, when decent amounts of CAPE, LI, lapse rates, wind shear are there, there is a lack temperature and humidity!

Par exemple - it is 31C here, humid, however no CAPE/LI and other recipes. Elsewhere in the country, where the CAPE/LI potential is there, its damp, murky, cloudy and a lot cooler.

I can bet a pound to a penny come thursday/friday, when we get a remote ounce of right ingredients available (as mentioned above) it will become murky, cloudy and less hot!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

It's absolutely chucking it down here in Poole. Been doing so since about midday. Weird I was expecting a heatwave. I hope it clears up and just this once .... and I mean just this once and once only..... I don't want a storm between now and Friday as my daughter goes off on a school camping trip tommorrow until Friday and they have those horrible tents that the guides and scouts use (i.e. canvas and no fitted ground sheets).

Posted

You can't help but love the banter on here. Midlands v South West/South East.

Statistics prove that London and the south east is most prone to storms during July/August. I've seen it first hand back in 1986 being a very memorable year for storms coming up from France and smacking into Clacton-On-Sea at around 2:00am and lasted for several hours.

The north west is also vunerable, especially around August with an Atlantic front moving in.

Your time will come guys and gals. Patience is a virtue! I alone have waited almost 6 years for a decent storm. So far this month alone, the potential has, and could run into 6 days.

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Very warm outside, but still plagued with cloud and drizzle.

Not sure what's going to happen, whether or not this cloud and drizzle are going to put a cap on things developing?.

Posted
You can't help but love the banter on here. Midlands v South West/South East.

Statistics prove that London and the south east is most prone to storms during July/August. I've seen it first hand back in 1986 being a very memorable year for storms coming up from France and smacking into Clacton-On-Sea at around 2:00am and lasted for several hours.

The north west is also vunerable, especially around August with an Atlantic, be it of the Ana or Kata type front moving in.

Your time will come guys and gals. Patience is a virtue! I alone have waited almost 6 years for a decent storm. So far this month alone, the potential has, and could run into 6 days.

Phil.

Just for clarity Phil, if the above refers to my post, it was rant on behalf of all fellow Brits regarding how conditions just do not come together often enough. It wasn't regarding any particular region - it just seems when CAPE (using our beloved friend for arguments sake) is available over France and Benelux, BANG! When it's available over here, there is often a reason why it just does not come to fruition.

But yes, definitely agree with the July/Aug bit being the SE's prime time - almost all of the major storms printed on my memory, notably imports, occurred during these two months. Luckily, Thursday into Friday is July :lazy: Unfortunately however, the models at the moment aren't causing me a huge amount of excitement.....yet! :D

Posted

the whole thing collapsed into nothing :lazy: ....end of.....

The latest BBC forecast doesnt mention to much about the showers moving up from France.

But mentions thundery rain with TS embedded for Cornwal and Devon 8.00am tomorrow

Posted

1990's from what i can remember where the best storms for the south, but due to climate change we never get a sniff of one, they either move NE towards to kent and eastbourne or too far west . :lazy:

red echoes showing in france, this is the time when max heating comes into play

Posted
Lets face it, the BBC weather forecasters don't have a clue when it comes to storms forecasting, to describe them as vague is an understatement. I would just focus on the models and various charts, see what ESTOFEX has predicted and read the posts from Nick F because they are ten times more informative that the crap you get on TV.

Edit: Forgot this is convective discussion thread :lol: Right, erm, no convection taking place here.

Interesting that these charts etc predicted the same thing, and as of yet, it's not happened.....