Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
all i say the person in hull should have a thunder storm there if the radar right

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...test_radar.html

Hi bill, the shower has only clipped the area, family member who lives near spurn point said they saw one flash and a rumble of thunder, with some intermintent rain.

Over all it's been a big let down, i would have thought it would have gone out with a bang for a lot more areas than just the SE, but then again, they have been dissapointed people in the SE a countless number of times over the past few weeks, so it was just ment to be for them.

It's going to cool down during the next 48 hours and into next week, with some pretty impressive CAPE values for yorkshire/lins and parts of the N, with the unstable LP air flow and still sunshine in between it could spark a few impressive storms off. I'm now looking forward to the next warm spell. I'll welcome it back with open arms.

Lewis

Posted

Guys, can you please stop making this personal? Last warning.

Reports of flash flooding coming in from the Glasgow area.

Posted

I'm assuming the reports of thunder from Glasgow earlier are real then? (looking back at the detector there was a few strikes nearby)

Unfortunately I was out until now and couldn't follow it.

Posted
I'm assuming the reports of thunder from Glasgow earlier are real then? (looking back at the detector there was a few strikes nearby)

Yep, they were pretty widespread. Just about all the local members on here and on other forums have reported thunder in the area. Quite a good few rumbles here earlier :doh:

Posted

Just deleted a whole heap of posts, any more bickering and those involved will be suspended for 14 days with no further warning.

Posted

Same here..looking back on the radar there was some nice reds embedded in that rain band.

But if there was any thunder or lightning i missed it !!!!! :doh:

Posted

ok andy, we should both act like mature and responsible adults, sorry if you was offended by my post's, shall we call it a day and be friends?

And Paul, I'm very sorry for making you delete rubbish posts. If you want me to empty the bin for you just ask mate.

On another note check this out;

ukstormrisk.png

Looking good for Scotland and central belt of N england again.

Edited by Lewis

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Our friend Jurgen in Netherlands will hopefully be in the thick of things... Storms have been going on

there since they first initiated well over 4 hours ago....!!

Posted
Our friend Jurgen in Netherlands will hopefully be in the thick of things... Storms have been going on

there since they first initiated well over 4 hours ago....!!

wow lovely sat image! the rest of Europe has done really well over the past few days and it looks to continue that way.

Posted

A thunderstorm passed through the area last night apparantly, and despite my best attempts I slept through it! :doh: It dropped 13mm of useful rain however. :D

Posted

you know there as been showers all day in Cornwal....and they havent moved.

lol

and slightly on the heavy side

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Mostly moderate to heavy rain for most afternoon, stopped raining, now sunny and warm.....back to normality :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Some thunder for my part of the SE last night, not really enough to TALK about unfortunately [i hate that].. :D

But I thought, at least, was exciting watching that main storm in the channel classed as strong and intensifying last night! :o

I know it would have made a night to remember if it had rolled right across the UK last night, which at the time was very hard to say and i'd put chances around 50:50 it would have done. :D

We'll just have to see what it brings us here in the UNITED kingdom particularly in the next hot spell, hopefully less disappointments.

Posted
you know there as been showers all day in Cornwal....and they havent moved.

lol

and slightly on the heavy side

Yes Dogs32, I was traveling back to Somerset from Cornwall on the A30 near Launceston earlier and there was some impressive convection going on, and some torrential rain causing some minor flooding on the carriageway. They seemed to be moving NE, but dieing out as they did. Back home here in South Somerset we just had a very sharp shower indeed.

Posted

Nothing up the road here in Ashill though!

Edit : Nevermind, spoke too soon. :D

Edited by Goatherd

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Afternoon everyone

We had a Cell pass over around 1315hrs, couple rumbles of thunder then just rain, and boy did it come down,

back home 6.5miles from where i work i recorded 5.5mm rain today

Cell caame from the South West

Posted

Wall to wall sunshine here very warm again:) Miles better then the monsoon rain I had this morning - summer is back again yey!

Posted
Wall to wall sunshine here very warm again:) Miles better then the monsoon rain I had this morning - summer is back again yey!

Same here, though the humidity seems to have finally gone and I am left with more realistic shade temperatures though it is still very warm (even hot) in the sun.

The atmosphere seems stable again here now though I wouldn't be surprised to see some widespread heavy showers and thunderstorms breaking out through this weekend, Sunday in particular is looking quite promising!

Posted

To be in Germany right now.. They've been getting a right ole' pasting..!!

Sat24.

Posted
Afternoon everyone

We had a Cell pass over around 1315hrs, couple rumbles of thunder then just rain, and boy did it come down,

back home 6.5miles from where i work i recorded 5.5mm rain today

Cell caame from the South West

Did you not seen lightning Nigel? I seen around 3 flashes of lightning with quite a few rumbles of thunder, i think i will just count this as a 'storm'.

Posted

No thunder to speak of here in Solihull. Although I am not too certain if there wasn't a low rumble of thunder at around 11:50pm last night. One of the problems with living about 4 miles from Birmingham International Airport is that sometimes it's hard to determine exactly what is thunder and what is a plane beginning to power up its engines.

Anyway back to this morning when the cells re-invigorated. Heavy rain at 07:30am, and funny this, the exact same set up as 15th April when decaying storms fired up again near the Midlands and at pretty much the same time of the day. Albeit no lightning or thunder to speak of.

Another even more intense downpour occured between 11:20 to 11:50am. Again, no thundery activity whatsoever.

That's it, my stormless tale of woe for my part of the world. But because sleep was nigh on impossible last night/early hours of this morning, I was watching the radar and cells exploding over the SE with great interest. I particulary enjoyed reading Neil_South's account in his part of the world.

Sounded like a real beast. :cc_confused:

Phil.

Posted

I am old enough to remember the seventies and eighties and it was almost gauranteed that a hot spell like the one we have just had would give at least one thunderstorm in a given location,and usually something quite spectacular as the hot spell would come to an end.

What baffles me is why its so different now?,I am not a weather expert or that knowlegeable in atmospheric dynamics but something has changed,this might sound silly but if there is an increase in co2 in the armosphere does that not mean the air is more heavy,now we now that convection is caused by warm air expanding thus becoming lighter and then rising rapidly causing cumulus the if there is enough energy cumolonimbus and thunderstorms,could heavy air be making this harder to happen,just a thought??.Could someone enlighten me because its very notable in my neck of the woods how thunder storms seem less and less.saying that we have had a few rumbles from this hot spell and a decent storm mid June with lots of close and scary CG strikes.But I think we just got lucky there.

Posted

I don't think much is really that different Ian even though I have been wondering the same thing myself these last few years, (welcome to netweather btw) but I think the difference between then and now is the technology to predict and track such activity was generally not available to the public, something which likely influences our perception of what is going on to a greater degree than we may realize.

Posted

I think both you, Ian R (welcome BTW) and Weather09 make a valid comment as regarding the decrease in storm activity over the past few years.

I've noticed myself that there hasn't been the same storm activity over the last 10 years in my part of the world. Strom frequency I last recall over given days and on a grand scale, and as mentioned by Weather09 with the selective memory for me was 1995.

2003 did have a couple of very severe storms 10th August of that year I think.

1994 was also a more storms than usual period. (Same year I was just yards from being fried by a CG bolt!)

1989 and a storm that began late afternoon coming home from work in Coleshill. Synoptic set up on this particular day saw two LPs, one over Germany, another over Denmark. (selective memory again) One storm coming up from the south, another from the east and merged over the Midlands. It all went bang big time. And lasted for at least three hours. Overnight saw heavy rain and massive GC lightning on occasions.

Another year was July 1987. Was a Saturday morning when a storm system coming up from France gave probably the most prolonged and intense rainfall I've ever seen with ear piercing gunshot blasts of thunder and overhead lightning. That storm lasted five hours. Then behind that during early evening, another smaller MCS developed which although not as intense did drop some impressive CG lightning.

Only other year I can actually remember was in my more informative years at school. July 1982 when after school dinner break, there was a storm which is probably the one I best remember for the darkness of the sky alone after a sunny and extremley humid morning. Just after 2pm, the sky, and I kid you not was like midnight. Streetlamps and car lights on at 2pm? The rain that followed under this dark behemoth was, how can I put it?? Looked like it had mud in the stair-rod sized things. After this dark cloud, could have been scud or one massive preceding Cu, the lightning that followed, pinks, oranges, electric blues, CGs mostly at I would estimate if memory serves cracking off at about 8-15 strikes or more per minute.

I have to admit that as a then 12 year old, it did scare the crap out of me.

Oh hang on, another one... September 1976, just after the prolonged blazing heat of a couple of months earlier. Ball lightning from a single cell did blow up the electrics at my sister's then boyfriends house. Even made the local news did that one. According to a friend of mine at the time, this orangey fireball just missed our house roof by a matter of feet.

I do remember the thunder afterwards, it literally shook the house. I've felt a couple of earth tremors in recent years but this one DID shake the house!!

But you both are right. Storms today seem, I dunno, weaker by comparison to earlier years, not so long lasting. Last night could be a good example over the SE when no sooner had they arrived over the south coast, they lost a major degree of intensity?

Reminds me again... September 1992... Thundery activity and, like yesterday in fact there was a similar set up with a slow moving CF from the west. The following early morning hours, all went bang massively over north Wales and the Midlands. That was the last overnight storm I've ever seen since.

Phil.