This is worse then yesterday

temp gone from 0.9c to 0c

The snowest week i can remember in 40 odd years

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Another 4-5inches of snow here last night

Posted

been snowing for hours here in wincanton somerset, schools closed, roads closed, parts of the A303 closed, have never seen anything like this in the 12 years i have been living here. our road is a hospital route and on a hill, no gritters in sight, cars getting stuck, god help the ambulances!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Heavy snow falling again this morning, following yesterdays heavy falls. The Cotswaolds must be doing really well for depths now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

What can I say?? Heavy snow adding to what was still laying, we've probably had another 8 inches overnight, haven't seen snow like this since I was a kid and never in Somerset in 12 years. Woken at 6 this morning by a worried neighbour, his flat roof is groaning, pushing the walls out - thankfully it's an outbuilding.

Posted

Had some moderate snow on and off all night, we now have about an inch on most surfaces here and there and slush and nothing elsewhere, its stopped now.

Its the first covering of snow we've had since Nov 05, although we did have a thick dusting of snow everwhere on Monday night Tuesday morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Had a further two inches of snow cover last night, roads were trecherous this morning. Snow now turned to sleet but still a good covering of snow remains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Very heavy snow here for the last few hours, lots of stranded motorists in and around Blandford and Dorchester.

Posted

So as to not be accused along the lines of "Kentimetres of snow" I attach some images of a walk with the dogs earlier near my house. Monday we had 4 inches of snow, reduced to about 1 1/2 inches before the 7 inches yesterday, of which about 3 inches melted - then today another 7 inches - only very minor loss. So in undisturbed areas where I walk the dog the otherside of the A6 in the countryside (a modest 100m asl), there was over a foot. More generally there is about 8 inches where there has been human activity.

Most snow I've seen since 1996 and certainly the most in the 8+ years I've lived here, which I know is the Midlands, but down south to me. So well pleased.

post-503-1233941128_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233941166_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233941201_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

ah but SC its NOT southern England, what and people are still driving around, not having to be rescued by the emergency services, so it does not count!

I told you to listen to what Dave Wheeler was suggesting.

Further heavy snow this morning, to cover the roads and pavements and to top up what was on the grass, slight thaw though in sun today, currently left with between 1-3 inches on grass (depending on how much sun), 2 inches on pavements in shade, mainly clear in areas with a lot of sun.

Posted

Snow showers this evening, leaving a dusting

Posted

VERY heavy snow here now, not seen this large flakes massive 50p size flakes. 5inches at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Continued snow showers blowing in from the NW topping up the snow depth, which stands at a little over 9inches generally and 3 foot in drifts. (on north facing hills)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was more heavy snow in Exeter on Thursday night which left 2 inches on the ground. The 2 inches was still there at 8am yesterday but it turned slushy as sleet and wet snow fell on it, the warmer air briefly making inroads from the south. One inch of it was still lying this morning, largely melted around major roads but largely intact over fields. Most of it is melting in the sun today and there will probably be just a smattering left by tomorrow morning.

From what I've seen and heard, the 3 days (so far) with lying snow by Met Office rules at Exeter- ironically the home of the Met Office itself- is more than the combined total of the last 7 years!

Posted
From what I've seen and heard, the 3 days (so far) with lying snow by Met Office rules at Exeter- ironically the home of the Met Office itself- is more than the combined total of the last 7 years!

Been a very impressive week snowfall wise further south and east,I can`t get over how much West is Best has had. :o

Posted

Here in mid Devon we had Snow drifts up to 8ft deep on Friday morning. Photo from on the hills over Bradninch.

post-8433-1234035352_thumb.jpg

post-8433-1234035533_thumb.jpg

post-8433-1234035540_thumb.jpg

post-8433-1234035547_thumb.jpg

Posted
Here in mid Devon we had Snow drifts up to 8ft deep on Friday morning. Photo from on the hills over Bradninch.

Superb.

Are there any roads around there where they have filled in with snow, then a plough has been through creating walls of snow?