Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Annual Cet - 2010

Stu_London

Posted

2010 appears to be certain to have the most amount of CET Ice days in terms of the mean since 1963...beating out years such as 1985, 1986 andn 1979.

In all likelyhood we'd have had more CET ice mean days in 2010 then the whole of the 2000-2008 period!

I point out than an ice day is where the maximum doesn't exceed zero.

You can't really have an ice mean day as you could have a maximum of 1C and a minimum of -2C, the mean maybe below zero but the maximum was above zero, therefore not an ice day. Hence why I refer to them as sub-zero periods.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Certain the yearly average will be below 9.0c now. There was the Metoffice saying it would be the coldest year since 1996. I would had thought in the south 1996 won't be beaton. Northern Ireland, Northern England, Wales and Scotland may have an exceptionally cold year.

The current December CET on this site is "only" -0.29C whereas, Phillip Eden has a figure of -0.9. His projected yearly CET is 8.95. I would certainly much prefer Eden's methods and credibility than those of the MET office and I wonder why this site seems so out of kilter ?

Edited by Beazle

Posted

CET 22/12/09-21/12/10 - 8.89C

Certain the yearly average will be below 9.0c now. There was the Metoffice saying it would be the coldest year since 1996. I would had thought in the south 1996 won't be beaton. Northern Ireland, Northern England, Wales and Scotland may have an exceptionally cold year.

1996 had a CET of 9.2

Can't see how 2010 won't be colder

The current December CET on this site is "only" -0.29C whereas, Phillip Eden has a figure of -0.9. His projected yearly CET is 8.95. I would certainly much prefer Eden's methods and credibility than those of the MET office and I wonder why this site seems so out of kilter ?

You seem to be referring to the net weather temperature tracker. Nowhere in any of the monthly threads or this thread is the Net weather temperature tracker used as a reference for the CET.

Generally the official Hadley CET is used accessed here.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

Occasionally for comparison purposes, the alternative Manley index produced by Philip Eden is referred to

http://climate-uk.com/

Posted

CET 22/12/09-21/12/10 - 8.89C

1996 had a CET of 9.2

Can't see how 2010 won't be colder

That was aimed at Central Southern and SE England which is broken into its own category quite nicely . 1996 had a yearly mean of 9.40c here. January - November 2010 stands at 10.19c. December would need to average 0.7c to beat that. I don't think it will as the cold has been more temperamental down here more especially at night. December 1981 came in at 1.3c.

Northern Ireland however is averaging 8.7c to November. December is likely to come in around 1.0c (1981 averaged 1.6c) and so the yearly average would come in at 8.05c. Coldest year since 1986 at 7.72.

Eastern Scotland on the other hand came in at 7.15c to November. December 1981 averaged -1.7c. If it equals that figure then the year would register 6.4c. Coldest since 1979 at 6.10c.

Thank you Stu for the clarification re CET. My apologies. That makes sense. I still much prefer Eden to the MET office for precisely the same reasons he has given previously. In summary, I trust Phillip and believe that his figures are free from, shall we say, political bias.

Posted

I did wonder after getting such a cold start to the year if we'd be able to get a sub 9C year...

Never mind reaching 10C, what about recording a sub 9C year? It's easy to forget that until relatively recently (circa 1994) that the majority of years came in between 9 and 10, with 10+ being less likely and two sub-9C years reported together in 1985 and 1986. Both got off to a colder start, but also recorded Decembers in the 6C+ range. If March continues below average, and December comes in between 3 and 4C, then we wouldn't need to go too much below average so I think this year may be as good a shot as we get for a while.

...but by Oct / Nov I thought we'd probably blown it. I was expecting a colder summer would be needed to get near to that figure. Which makes me wonder - is the summer CET likely to also drop in future? While we do seem to have experienced less extreme heat in summer, the CET for summer months has generally held up. Is it just a coincidence that winter has been affected more than summer by whatever drivers have influenced our weather over the past few years (the sun? PDO? etc) and should we expect this to balance out over the seasons in due course, with perhaps a milder winter and cooler summer? Or are the circumstances affecting the CET in summer different enough for it to not be affected in the same way?

Posted

The climate UK site only seems to work properly on IE. Does everyone else have this problem, like trying to view it in FF or Chrome?

I can get it up on IE but not Firefox.

Never tried it with Chrome.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

I can get it up on IE but not Firefox.

Never tried it with Chrome.

It loads in Chrome but half of the links don't seem to work.

Posted

whats the lowest annual cet on record?

Here is a link to the CET figures, monthly and annually since January 1659. Loads of fun and interest to be had!

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat

:smiliz19:

Posted

What program can you view a .dat file in?

Program? Sorry, you've flummoxed me there. :cc_confused: You must be talking technological speak and I am the most illiterate of people in that respect. :cc_confused:

I have internet explorer and that's all I know! :blush:

I hope a more helpful person can answer your question.

Posted

What program can you view a .dat file in?

Try Excel - worked for me. You'll need to select 'all files' to see the file when you browse to open it though. Follow the import instructions and it should appear in a table.

Posted

Looks like everyone person bar one predicted to high! Seven months have come in below average (January 1.4c, February 2.8c, May 10.7c, August, 15.3c, October 10.3c, November 5.2c and December), only two months have been 1c or more above average (June: +1.0c, July +1.1c). Some people where fairly confident of a mild year (with El Nino). I haven't included those who put in a prediction after the 2nd of January :)

Paul tall: 8.8c

Snowmainden: 9.19c

David Snow: 9.5c

VillagePlank: 9.5c

Dartmoor_Matt: 9.87c

Bornfromthevoid: 9.88c

Barry: 9.9c

SteveB: 9.92c

LondonSnowstorm: 9.94c

Memories of 63: 10.0c

Mr Data: 10.1c

Ben_Cambs: 10.15c