Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ramping Thread

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

hi all - and as you can see my first post - after years of just reading the posts. good uck everyone!!!

It really helps to know where you are mate, someones bound to ask when you tell them you`ve got 18 foot of snow !ph34r.gif

Posted

Copied and pasted from model output discussion....author,jon snow

In a way I hope this downgrades a little as those charts are truly terrifying in a way with what is coming to the North on xmas day on top of the 3-4ft of snow they will be under, by boxing day half of Britain could have 7 or 8ft of lying snow and 40ft drifts and that would not exactly be sledging weather with snow up to the necks of everyone who is not a pro basketball player, that is huge loss of life weather

That has to be one of the all time biggest ramps.:shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I will have the best chance.

15 MILES inland and a funnel coast line.(theres a new one eeh!).shok.gif

No, I think a little village 12 miles south-southeast of you does !!

Anyway, the 18Z - the most beautiful weather output I've ever seen! The christmas pudding looks ridiculous now, and I feel it would take a fair turn around to stop most people seeing a good dumping of snow. The only worry I have is with the fax chart straddling the 528 line across the central belt! I feel that is not right somehow given the GFS and ECM both show it much further northwest by Thursday but with the exception of that, this is yet another astoundingly brilliant output (of which we've seen many).

Makes you glad to be alive at such a wonderful time as a weather nutcase!

Hope it verifies!

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Copied and pasted from model output discussion....author,jon snow

In a way I hope this downgrades a little as those charts are truly terrifying in a way with what is coming to the North on xmas day on top of the 3-4ft of snow they will be under, by boxing day half of Britain could have 7 or 8ft of lying snow and 40ft drifts and that would not exactly be sledging weather with snow up to the necks of everyone who is not a pro basketball player, that is huge loss of life weather

That has to be one of the all time biggest ramps.:D

thats the best to date...awesome...plzzzz let it happen

Posted

Loving this Modern Era Word Ban

Still shaping up for everyone to have a share of the spoils this coming week.

1st action looks to be on Tuesday evening as Mondays band of rain and dullness gets interesting on it's Eastern Side running into favourable conditions for Snow. So expect roughly East Mids, Cambs, Northants, Herts to do well out of this for a dusting and maybe 1-2" at most.

After that it is still up in the air what areas will see Snow due to Troughs etc expected to make an appearance from the East in a stiffening Easterly breeze, difficult to pinpoint areas from this down to T24 So Tuesday at the earliest for this.

The Northerly that follows is quite incredible and as Smurf (S Murr) says this Northerly is unlike the 1 day and Melt Northerly we have seen this decade due to the amazing dewpoints that will have been advected in from the Continent so anything that falls will be ALL Snow, obviously this is where the rest of the Uk does better as bands of snow could fall just about anywhere and this brings Wales, NW Uk, Northern Ireland, N England and C England into play, obviously Scotland will be getting a battering from any Northerly that occurs.

Have already seen one station down to -21c Dewpoint in Scotland this evening so what we are about to experience is a whole new ball game.

Paul S

Posted

I post I made in here last night got removed.

found its been shoved into another thread, but no the whole conversation so now it makes no sense at all.

Edited by cookie

Posted

Roll up, roll up! Get your quality, used snow detectors here folks!

cast-steel-lamp-post_44796_1.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

That Christmas pudding post was hilarious...Thanks Paul for changing the christmas pudding posts drinks.gif

Ahhh, Quality used lamp posts....luckily enough my bedroom has one right outside the window....

I don't know how to ramp, I'm too serious for that...but bring on the white stuff in 5 days time.

Posted

The funny thing is when the Mods, Staff or Admin use the term "Modern Era" it stays but it turns into Christmas Pudding when you quote our posts :bad::bad: :huh:

Paul S

Posted

The funny thing is when the Mods, Staff or Admin use the term "christmas pudding" it stays but it turns into Christmas Pudding when you quote our posts :bad::bad: :huh:

Paul S

Hi Paul,

What's your thought's on the next 10 days or so for our area of the world?

Maybe a short lived streamer?

Posted

Hi Paul,

What's your thought's on the next 10 days or so for our area of the world?

Maybe a short lived streamer?

Do you know what LS I cannot believe some of the posts in the Cold Discussion thread at the moment. Upon looking at the GFS This morning i was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks all the way through until next Tuesday starting tomorrow. The 500hpa charts look good from Wednesday, the Uppers are cold enough, there will probably be troughs coming in from the East which means frontal snow and not hit and miss showers and after that a very sharp cold front with frontal snow coming from the North for the weekend, it then stays cold with snow showers later in the weekend and early next week. But from the look of the posts over there you would think it is going to be 8c and Mild over the next 7 days.

I reckon we could get a 1cm or 2 between now and wednesday, then another dusting Thursday before more significant snow for either Fri/Sat or Sunday. Totals are hard to pinpoint at the moment due to the strength of the easterly and how strong the Cold front is going to be over the weekend.

Paul S

Posted

Do you know what LS I cannot believe some of the posts in the Cold Discussion thread at the moment. Upon looking at the GFS This morning i was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks all the way through until next Tuesday starting tomorrow. The 500hpa charts look good from Wednesday, the Uppers are cold enough, there will probably be troughs coming in from the East which means frontal snow and not hit and miss showers and after that a very sharp cold front with frontal snow coming from the North for the weekend, it then stays cold with snow showers later in the weekend and early next week. But from the look of the posts over there you would think it is going to be 8c and Mild over the next 7 days.

I reckon we could get a 1cm or 2 between now and wednesday, then another dusting Thursday before more significant snow for either Fri/Sat or Sunday. Totals are hard to pinpoint at the moment due to the strength of the easterly and how strong the Cold front is going to be over the weekend.

Paul S

What a splendid post, as you say, anyone would think that we are approaching the end of winter and being battered by the atlantic. Some it seems are never happy, perhaps they were hoping for winter armageddon! More than happy with the situation myself, we should all see some of the white stuff at some point, and it will be interesting watching events unfold!

Edited by ribster

Posted

is there any chance we will see similar weather in the south west to what we had in 1979, around the 7th of feb it was really windy and started to snow around 4pm by the next day we had 15ft deep drifts , most roads were closed for a week even the main A303 oad from london to plymouth was closed for 3 days and even when it reopened it was single lane traffic with traffic lights for a week . we had ten days off school yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

looking great for me thu-fri-sat and Sunday could bring the grand prize take a look :)

capturea.png

capture2ky.png

capture3yt.png

capture4r.png

Posted

Paul S

My thoughts exactly.

I'm hoping a Thames streamer will setup sometime from Weds onwards. But, this time it hits us hard (unlike the strange events of Feb - great article on that btw)

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

is there any chance we will see similar weather in the south west to what we had in 1979, around the 7th of feb it was really windy and started to snow around 4pm by the next day we had 15ft deep drifts , most roads were closed for a week even the main A303 oad from london to plymouth was closed for 3 days and even when it reopened it was single lane traffic with traffic lights for a week . we had ten days off school yahoo.gif

I think us lot near the south coast and down to the South West need to be very patient. Some of the models have hinted at any bands of precip, troughs etc. to stall once they get down as far as the south coast. There have been suggestions of southerly tracking lows (Channel Lows) as well on the odd occasion in recent days.

Our best bet is for the cold to become entrenched across the UK and for a low pressure to come along the south coast and drag the colder air in from the continent a la the scenario you paint. One can only hope at this stage!

Posted

I think us lot near the south coast and down to the South West need to be very patient. Some of the models have hinted at any bands of precip, troughs etc. to stall once they get down as far as the south coast.

Yes, I'm going to remain relaxed and impartial about it for now :)

FrozenSeaSpray.jpg

geneva.jpg

IceStorm_with_iced_cars.jpg

car_ice.jpg

frozen_sea_5.jpg

frozen_sea_1.jpg

Edited by Paul
Took out the uber big photo :-)