Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

no more showers here last nite. not as cold as previous nite either, low of -1.5c and currently 1c.

Posted

Radar shows some snow about to hit me here. This would explain why my temp is now reading 1c.

Very cold out. Got the fire lit again!

I can see out the front of our house looking north and can see it rolling in.

Todays the real day then. Good luck all!

:)

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Radar shows some snow about to hit me here. This would explain why my temp is now reading 1c.

Very cold out. Got the fire lit again!

I can see out the front of our house looking north and can see it rolling in.

Todays the real day then. Good luck all!

:wallbash:

who cares about today look at the mass of snow heading down from scotland.......

about today it rained over night and a min of-1.2c but it is now 0.8c and some snow is acutually still lying but its clear you would just know it snowed......

Posted

A bit disapointed by bbc weather and boards .ie it just looks like we are going to get sleet tonight and no 15cm of snow...

Posted

i heard alex deakin on radio 1 forecast rain for here, this evening, is this true? i sure hope not

it looks like it and i am raging!

Posted

My understanding.

Rain.sleet coming across the country.

Snow showers behind

Dont quote me on this.hehe

its hardly going to lie on sleet plus the snow showers will not be as heavy and itll be awful'!!

Posted

Keep your heads up.

In my experience the BBC/Meto team do not have a clue about NI weather. They have been wrong on three snow events in the five years I have lived in NI.

Looking at the latest GFS run, you can see that it will be snow/sleet/rain at first depending on altitude, however the cold air very quickly catches up with the front and with uppers of -7oC, sub 528 dam and dew points below 0 it has to be snow to pretty much all levels.

The graphics on the BBC are *iss poor. It shows the precipitation moving into NI, then suddenly jumps across to the RI without really showing whats falling from the sky, this indicates they don't really know.

Their will be plenty of heavy snow showers tomorrow don't worry about that. A bitter cold Arctic airmass moving over a warm sea means only one thing.

I therefore believe that the current bbc forecast is wrong and we will get a decent snow event. I may well be wrong but that is my view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Keep your heads up.

In my experience the BBC/Meto team do not have a clue about NI weather. They have been wrong on three snow events in the five years I have lived in NI.

Looking at the latest GFS run, you can see that it will be snow/sleet/rain at first depending on altitude, however the cold air very quickly catches up with the front and with uppers of -7oC, sub 528 dam and dew points below 0 it has to be snow to pretty much all levels.

The graphics on the BBC are *iss poor. It shows the precipitation moving into NI, then suddenly jumps across to the RI without really showing whats falling from the sky, this indicates they don't really know.

Their will be plenty of heavy snow showers tomorrow don't worry about that. A bitter cold Arctic airmass moving over a warm sea means only one thing.

I therefore believe that the current bbc forecast is wrong and we will get a decent snow event. I may well be wrong but that is my view.

This is correct...

In the milder sector the uppers are -3/-4 when the rain/sleet/snow arrives, its a marginal area of uppers. Dew points should be okay and I think the main culprit is the 528 dam line, which is probably between the -5/-10 850's somewhere. Its going to be a local affair to start, some areas rain, some sleet, and the odd snow to start, but as the colder air catches up everywhere should catch a tail end of snow which in any case NO forecaster can tell exactly when the transition will occur.

I wouldn't worry so much about wether the floors wet if it does rain or sleet. Heavy snow and surface temps encroaching on 0c and below will just freeze this up and allow the snow to lye. For the North the showers are the main threat overnight and tommorow, for central and Southern areas the band today/tonight has more chance of being snow initially or for longer so this is there main risk. BUT the showers tommorow as Mountain shadow has pointed out will be on a strong Northerly and blown well inland, though coastal areas exposed will be most at risk, inland areas will see some too, especially should a more persistand/band of showers crop up.

Posted

If you take a gander at the Snow forecast for today in Belfast, this shows just how quick the colder uppers and transition takes place, between 3pm and 6pm the uppers go from -2c to -8c with the rainfall being light @ 3pm, but moderate @ 6pm. 3pm max is 4c, 6pm max is 1c. Snow risk increases dramatically very quickly and with temperatures falling rapidly from 3pm I don't see a problem in getting any snow to lye later on wet ground.

Posted

If you take a gander at the Snow forecast for today in Belfast, this shows just how quick the colder uppers and transition takes place, between 3pm and 6pm the uppers go from -2c to -8c with the rainfall being light @ 3pm, but moderate @ 6pm. 3pm max is 4c, 6pm max is 1c. Snow risk increases dramatically very quickly and with temperatures falling rapidly from 3pm I don't see a problem in getting any snow to lye later on wet ground.

Hey geoffw, another Bangorian added to the mix haha.

Well, I feel confident we will see some snow showers tommorow being on a coast exposed to a Northerly, I think everywhere has a fair chance of seeing showers tommorow just that they will be most frequent in the North. Belfast is forecast to have 80%+ risk of snow tommorow, so if they can get it we will too, as a Northerly/NW wind will push these towards us from across Belfast Lough.

Posted

In my experience, County Down should be in the 'orange' zone along with Derry and Antrim. With a true northerly strond wind, the air over North Down is sourced from the western coast of Scotand with a long sea track giving streamers to eastern Down.

As the winds turn more north westerly, and with a strong wind predicted, the showers won't be dying out very quickly and will make it to Down.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Well, the band is now into the north, heading South fairly quick.

Any reports of whats falling in the North yet?

They are probably all outside enjoying blizzard conditions and 1ft of snow lol..jk

Posted

Looks like the colder air has caught up very nicely with the band, you can tell by looking at the radar sequence showing the band getting thinner but intensifying, it'll be short lived, but by the time it gets a little further South, it could all be snow but be fizzling out. Reports from Scotland suggest that it rains for about 10-20 minutes then turns to graupel then snow. Already reports of 2 inches, even after the initial rain wetting surfaces.

Posted

Sleety here, tho snow at times then back to sleet. cold air hitting.

Posted

Well, the band is now into the north, heading South fairly quick.

Any reports of whats falling in the North yet?

They are probably all outside enjoying blizzard conditions and 1ft of snow lol..jk

snow are you joking! temp has rose to 3.8c here and the sleety rain has washed everything away i doubt anything will lie here........ when should we expect it to turn to snow and should i expect much snow tonight?

Posted

Here comes the clouds, damn they are screaming across the sky. One minute I was all clear then the cloud rolled over in 10 minutes. No precipitation yet, will keep you updated.

snow are you joking! temp has rose to 3.8c here and the sleety rain has washed everything away i doubt anything will lie here........ when should we expect it to turn to snow and should i expect much snow tonight?

Yeah, hence the jk.

The Further West you are, the more likely it won't turn to snow, but the showers you will get tonight and tommorow most certainly will be. Expect an ice rink tonight frosty....hazardous conditions.

Posted

Here comes the clouds, damn they are screaming across the sky. One minute I was all clear then the cloud rolled over in 10 minutes. No precipitation yet, will keep you updated.

Exact same for me here watcher! City Airport reporting light showers of rain at the moment.

Posted

Yeah, hence the jk.

The Further West you are, the more likely it won't turn to snow, but the showers you will get tonight and tommorow most certainly will be. Expect an ice rink tonight frosty....hazardous conditions.

should i expect any lying snow overnight ?