Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

when should the snow start to come tomorrow ????? will it be sleet all day or snow? or sleet then snow?

From early morning you should start to see showers of snow. It will be very cold. Dp,s around minus 7 i,d say.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

From early morning you should start to see showers of snow. It will be very cold. Dp,s around minus 7 i,d say.

how come bbc are forecasting rain to 3pm? will the snow turn to rainin the middle of night earlier than expected then turn back earlier?

Posted

Joe I don't think that the BBC have the right handle on this there may be some freezing rain which will actually help and following snow to stick quickly, in my view any rain will turn to snow sharpish

ok thx but im still thinking its gnna rain tomorrow and on weather.ie people are saying snow only to high ground aswell as this nw are forecastig rain too.... whats weird is scotland has the same conditions but bbc are giving them snow.......

Posted

Wait and see Joe wait and see.....

will maxes really be 4c considerig todays maxes and all the cloud we had hmmmmmmm

Posted

36_30.gif

Looking more like snow for us tomorrow as I say maybe some freezing rain to begin with but turning very quickly to snow

Netweather have issued a new alert

Snow-Frost-Icy roads-possible blizzard conditionsIssued on 18/12/2009 at 19:40

Valid From: 18/12/2009 at 19:40 until 21/12/2009 at 09:00

<DIV class=maintext>Regions affected:

scotalert.gifnialert.gifnealert.gifwalesalert.gifmidsalert.gifeaalert.gif

Posted

36_30.gif

Looking more like snow for us tomorrow as I say maybe some freezing rain to begin with but turning very quickly to snow

ok id say maxes around 2c due to cloud but id say itll be mostly snow will be watching showrs coming! its just about wit and see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

had a light dusting of snow earlier in the evening, nothing major but first snow of the winter :cold: . temp -3.4c with a dew point of -4.1c. if anything is gonna fall out of the sky tonight and tomorrow, its defo gonna be snow here. 8) everything is frozen solid here, even my pond has an inch thick sheet of ice on it. 8)

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Yup stormforce thats how I see it too, looking like a wintry week right up to christmas

lovely jubbly, bring it on. cant wait to see this heavy snow on sunday, blizzard conditions. excellent. camera at the ready.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Some light snow this evening which gave a light dusting. Now clear with some frost.

Max temp today 2.4c

Current temp -0.5c

Posted

Just back from the pub :) As i was making my way home there was a heavy rain shower. As soon as it hit the ground it froze. Conditions are now really. Was really surprised that it didn't fall as snow as temps are hovering around -1 to 0. The suspension is really getting to me now, just can't wait until sunday. :)

Posted

Just had a very heavy shower of freezing rain. roads and paths look like an ice rink. few mm of ice covering everything. mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Just had a very heavy shower of freezing rain. roads and paths look like an ice rink. few mm of ice covering everything. mad

Just looking at the models I can see why the showers are of rain at the moment, and obviously freezing when they hit the already cold surfaces. A milder sector with -3/-4 850's is the culprit, one thing to watch is that this milder area sticks around right up until the front tommorow, which is a cold front with pretty much the -5 and -10 850 lines crunched together with some milder air just ahead. This is very interesting because it creates far more instability and so precipitation will be heavy. It may hinder the fall at first, creating some sleet or wet snow, but after 20/30 minutes (as the colder uppers penetrate it) it'll turn to snow in most areas. Interestingly, don't be surprised if the band intensifies further once it hits the North coast.

Sunday remains as much or greater a risk than tommorow, all showers will be of snow, and with uppers of-5 - -10 in the mix, showers should be heavy aswell, I can see a good risk of these banding together producing longer spells around coastal areas and possibly spreading well inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Just looking at the models I can see why the showers are of rain at the moment, and obviously freezing when they hit the already cold surfaces. A milder sector with -3/-4 850's is the culprit, one thing to watch is that this milder area sticks around right up until the front tommorow, which is a cold front with pretty much the -5 and -10 850 lines crunched together with some milder air just ahead. This is very interesting because it creates far more instability and so precipitation will be heavy. It may hinder the fall at first, creating some sleet or wet snow, but after 20/30 minutes (as the colder uppers penetrate it) it'll turn to snow in most areas. Interestingly, don't be surprised if the band intensifies further once it hits the North coast.

Sunday remains as much or greater a risk than tommorow, all showers will be of snow, and with uppers of-5 - -10 in the mix, showers should be heavy aswell, I can see a good risk of these banding together producing longer spells around coastal areas and possibly spreading well inland.

Hi The Watcher,

Do you think the precip will still be heavy for us down south? Im sure it will start off as rain down here then hopefully turn to snow .

Posted

Hi The Watcher,

Do you think the precip will still be heavy for us down south? Im sure it will start off as rain down here then hopefully turn to snow .

will it rain for a couple of hours or will we just have to wait about 30 mins and thr rain will turn to snow???????

Posted

Morning all its bitter out there this morning currently -3 for me thick fog too, have to say any rain would be dangerous this morning, it will freeze as soon as it hits the ground, Joe I would say it would quickly turn to snow for my area, not sure about your location tbh. But don't worry tomorrow was alawys going to be our best day.

Given the strength of the wind tomorrow I fancy those showers to penetrate well inland