Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

The past two weeks have definately been a rollercoaster!! My heads ready to explode! I think we could be heading for some of the heaviest snow that N.Ireland has seen for some time in December. It this all comes off then i'd say we would be in for a white christmas of some sort even if its lying snow from sundays event but next week is looking promising to :D

Posted

Tomorrow night still looks very interesting... 0c dewpoints or lower all over Ireland *AND* the Irish Sea, that should mean snow showers possibly even at sea level. -10c upper air temperatures hugging the east coast, will mean superb bubbling up of showers IMO. 528 Dam line is near the Shannon. Pressure though is rather high at 1024hPa over Wexford, but hopefully things can still kick off. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Tomorrow night still looks very interesting... 0c dewpoints or lower all over Ireland *AND* the Irish Sea, that should mean snow showers possibly even at sea level. -10c upper air temperatures hugging the east coast, will mean superb bubbling up of showers IMO. 528 Dam line is near the Shannon. Pressure though is rather high at 1024hPa over Wexford, but hopefully things can still kick off. drinks.gif

Exactly what I'm hoping for as an early taster. Was in Belfast today buying some musical goodies. Came out of Cash converters and seen the wet ground, but was dissapointed to see light rain falling. I take it that was the rain band passing through, it gone now. I'm located pretty much 3 miles from the mouth of Belfast Lough so I'm well situated being the highest area nearest the coast in Bangor. Hopefully it won't be too mixed up with the mild SST's or I'll just end up with sleet/wet snow at best.

Sunday looks amazing it has to be said.

Posted

Pretty good outlook from the MetO for this weekend :whistling:.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Remaining cold throughout with snow showers. The scattered showers will be frequent for a time on Saturday then during Sunday. Lying snow will drift.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

looks like todays max will be 2c and tonights mins will be very low because of that then tomorrow maxes will be 0c!!!!:whistling: maybe -7c mins tonight i think the bbcs -2c is too warm..... from tomorrow everyday is an iceday!!!!!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

We have 4C hereand cloud cover but not in the least bit worried as im sure things will get colder as the day goes on.

Relieved to see the end of the 8.5c's we have been seeing over the past couple of days.

Better get to work now! See you all later on and we'll see what way the ground lies then!

Agreed Pomeroy, all looking VERY good!

Posted

We have 4C hereand cloud cover but not in the least bit worried as im sure things will get colder as the day goes on.

Relieved to see the end of the 8.5c's we have been seeing over the past couple of days.

Better get to work now! See you all later on and we'll see what way the ground lies then!

Agreed Pomeroy, all looking VERY good!

haha i have the exact same cloud over me as you and its a horrible 3.5c i am worried as this cloud may keep the maxes at 5c rather than 2c...... and if i was not in this cloud i would have a frost by now too

Posted

haha i have the exact same cloud over me as you and its a horrible 3.5c i am worried as this cloud may keep the maxes at 5c rather than 2c...... and if i was not in this cloud i would have a frost by now too

According to may car, it was a nice balmy 5.5c at 6:45am in Dublin. The colder air, if it ever arrives, will be a bit of a shock to the system.

Posted

According to may car, it was a nice balmy 5.5c at 6:45am in Dublin. The colder air, if it ever arrives, will be a bit of a shock to the system.

Totally agree Wibbler!

This is going to be a shock to the system. We moved house in the summer and have just found out the boiler in our new house is far to small for the house. Can't heat the place at all. Thankfully there is an open fire and back boiler so bought ten bags of logs the other day! Should be toasty (fingers crossed).

Posted

We moved house in the summer and have just found out the boiler in our new house is far to small for the house. Can't heat the place at all. Thankfully there is an open fire and back boiler so bought ten bags of logs the other day! Should be toasty (fingers crossed).

When I was growing up our family lived in a house that had no central heating, or double glazing. In the winters of the 80's I remember waking to find ice on the inside of the glass and being able to see your breath. This was in Dublin. Thankfully, both central heating and double glazing are ubiquitous these days. However, periods of notable cold in winter similar to what I remember, appear to be going in the other direction.

Posted

When I was growing up our family lived in a house that had no central heating, or double glazing. In the winters of the 80's I remember waking to find ice on the inside of the glass and being able to see your breath. This was in Dublin. Thankfully, both central heating and double glazing are ubiquitous these days. However, periods of notable cold in winter similar to what I remember, appear to be going in the other direction.

would -7c be possible tonight i think the bbcs -2c is far to high....

Posted

Well Radio Ulster indicated -5 for inland areas, I fancy -6

I have the same problem with my new house Baltic I have a large living room so the only way to heat is to have an open fire on, still its nice to warm you bum by the fire and your insides with a glass of whiskey (purely for medicinal purposes of course)

Posted

Yep Wibbler, same here, last nights Min was 4.1c and today it's already 5.1c but steady at that. All part of the little sea to our East I'm afraid, but once the NNWsterly kicks in we'll be on the opposite end of the stick with Western coasts seeing the 1-2c milder sea effect.

Posted

What hope has the East coast of Ireland and in particular the greater Dublin area seeing some snow activity over the coming weekend?

im not going to lie, it is looking highly marginal, best to head up the wicklows if you want to see some of the white stuff

Posted

Yep Wibbler, same here, last nights Min was 4.1c and today it's already 5.1c but steady at that. All part of the little sea to our East I'm afraid, but once the NNWsterly kicks in we'll be on the opposite end of the stick with Western coasts seeing the 1-2c milder sea effect.

Hello fellow Bangorian! I have a temp of 6.1C here in the East of the town but it feels raw in that wind - a lot colder than the last few days. Fingers crossed it gets cold enough for snow at the weekend :D

Posted

Hello fellow Bangorian! I have a temp of 6.1C here in the East of the town but it feels raw in that wind - a lot colder than the last few days. Fingers crossed it gets cold enough for snow at the weekend drinks.gif

Hey Jon, good to see you back...fellow Bangorian.

Yeah, you will be a bit milder than me being over towards the coast, but Im at the highest point in Kilcooley (hate the place) and so get a little cooler than yourself.

I think we will see some good snowfall from Saturday onwards with a good risk of some tommorow also. Craigantlet should get a nice coating from the frontal system Saturday and Sunday so I may well take a dander up to Ballysallagh forest should all else fail at low levels.

It may be marginal at best for now in the Easterly wind feed, but when the Northerly kicks in, it'll take away most of the milder coastal factor because of the low level winds not crossing over the Irish Sea....it'll be Northern areas turn to see milder coastal temps and our turn to have a bit of land crossing before the air reaches here.

Posted

Just had a short snow shower here in Antrim. Didn't come to much but nice to see it, and get a taster of whats on the way

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Some rain showers about here atm. The temp got up to 5.6c briefly,the current temp here is now 4.3c and looks like its still falling away.

Posted

I think there is a good chance Eastern Coasts will see some kind of convective activity later tonight when colder uppers spread in. Even now I've got a good build up of scattered cumulus coming in off the Irish Sea where as earlier today it was clearer apart from further North.