Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I had a fairly hefty rain and hail shower a few mins ago. The temp is now at 3.3c,dont know if that is the colder air coming in or just my temp falling due to the showers or maybe a mixture of both.

Posted

Hey Jon, good to see you back...fellow Bangorian.

Yeah, you will be a bit milder than me being over towards the coast, but Im at the highest point in Kilcooley (hate the place) and so get a little cooler than yourself.

I think we will see some good snowfall from Saturday onwards with a good risk of some tommorow also. Craigantlet should get a nice coating from the frontal system Saturday and Sunday so I may well take a dander up to Ballysallagh forest should all else fail at low levels.

It may be marginal at best for now in the Easterly wind feed, but when the Northerly kicks in, it'll take away most of the milder coastal factor because of the low level winds not crossing over the Irish Sea....it'll be Northern areas turn to see milder coastal temps and our turn to have a bit of land crossing before the air reaches here.

Hi watcher - good to be back! I used to live near Kilcooley myself and it always gets more ice and snow than here! Fingers crossed for some snow between now and Christmas - it does look like we have a half-decent chance. Angie on the BBC1 local forecast suggested Saturday evening into Sunday for the best chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I had a fairly hefty rain and hail shower a few mins ago. The temp is now at 3.3c,dont know if that is the colder air coming in or just my temp falling due to the showers or maybe a mixture of both.

Temperature here has tumbled too Sundog, but no showers.

Hi watcher - good to be back! I used to live near Kilcooley myself and it always gets more ice and snow than here! Fingers crossed for some snow between now and Christmas - it does look like we have a half-decent chance. Angie on the BBC1 local forecast suggested Saturday evening into Sunday for the best chance.

Angie....love her voice, makes me all warm inside.wub.gif

Posted

Irish sea picking up to live now, hopefully it kicks on through the evening and overnight.

Temperatures dropping back as the colder air encroaches.

Sleet/Hail showers now and then here.

Temperature just under 4c.

Posted

Had some rain showers here this am, but at about 1.40pm we had a hail shower with some snow mixed in:clap:over the Irish sea some big cumulus clouds seem to be building and in the last hour winds have felt even colder :)also some of the clouds have precip falling over the sea in them :rofl: :wacko: hopefuly here in wicklow we will see some snow before the northwest wind kicks in as its not realy good for us here :yahoo:

Edited by BlackHoleSun

Posted

Just done a trip up to sallys gap, wicklow. Stay away from the gap, cars already are getting into problems.

The road up to the hellfire club and up to killikee car par IMPASSABLE. Cars and vans are sliding back down.

Posted

Had snow showers on and off here all day. Just had a very heavy one for about an hour there. Was sleety/hail at first then turned to very heavy snow. hope there is more to come

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

should those heavy snow showers in glasgow come down here to ni tonight it looks like it going by the radar and showers are now turnig into snow instead of hail........

Posted

Much improved forecast from Met Eireann for Ulster:

Ulster

17 December 2009- updated at 18:00

Tonight

Wintry showers will continue for a time early tonight but will become confined to north coasts later in the night. Turning very cold with a widespread sharp to severe frost under clearing skies and some patches of mist and freezing fog. Lowest temperatures ranging from 0 to -5 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow

Cold and bright with good sunny spells at first. Mainly dry during the morning apart from scattered wintry showers by northern coasts. Becoming cloudy in the afternoon with showers of sleet and snow extending southwards. Highest temperatures only 2 to 4 degrees.

:(

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

A raw, breezy, sometimes gusty day with intermittent showers of rain with hail and sleet mixed in, occasional sharp bursts. Lovely wintery feel and look to the day, how nice to have some real cold in December.

The cumulus/nimbus coming in off the Irish Sea always look very nice, more dramatic and different light to what comes from the west. Got gradually colder through the day, might see some snowy stuff if any showers occur overnight/early tomorrow. Looks like showers will be gone by lunch tomorrow.

I'd say Wicklow anywhere a few hundred feet up got a nice covering of snow out of the showers so far. Wish I could get up there!

Weekend/monday/tuesday event still looks marginal for here, and somewhat unclear even for areas that look like getting heavier precipitation. If the cold digs in, then the north east third of the country, and maybe even two thirds or more, looks like getting a nice snow event.

After that it's looking all over the place, probably staying mostly on the cold side, but doubt cold enough for any snow at that stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

0.1c here and a hard frost setting in. temp maxed out at 4.2c. a beautiful sunny day here. :lol:

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Some pictures before 4pm today in the wicklow mountains.

Great to see it starting already up there.

Im planning to go that way on Sunday for a hike. I love a good prolonged freeze to get rid of the muck and slop.

Lots of snow may not be ideal for me, but I certainly wont complain! :good:

Posted

Its snowing here. Very fine stuff but landing on the grass.

Gotta head out so will check in later!

Best of luck folks.

Frosty, You should be getting some of those showers coming in off Scotland.

ok then i take it thats were you got your shower from . thx will be looking at the radar now!

Posted

hi frosty joe :) what temp you got? -0.6c here and falling. a very hard frost forming here, which i dont think will lift tomorrow. met eireann have a weather warning out. looks good for us in the north and west for the weekend. :whistling:

Posted

oh its really mild here its 1.8c now and cloudy expecting snow showers to move through over the next couple of hours max tomorrow is 1c but id say below 0c its usually colder than that hopefully if it gets colder.. where abouts do you live? just looked at radar all the showers over ni look to be of snow!

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

had sleet with a few wet snow flakes thrown in at about 6.30 this evening. temp 2c. showers showing up as snow on netweather radar.

Posted

oh its really mild here its 1.8c now and cloudy expecting snow showers to move through over the next couple of hours max tomorrow is 1c but id say below 0c its usually colder than that hopefully if it gets colder.. where abouts do you live? just looked at radar all the showers over ni look to be of snow!

im in co roscommon. its -1.4c here and everything is frozen over :lol:. a band of sleet and snow showers should be pushing south tomorrow afternoon according to met eirann. let me know frosty because we should catch them a couple of hours later. :D what temp you got now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer

Heavy shower of hail and sleet here around 6.30-7, hail stayed on the ground for a while, still a bit on the cars. Wicklow hills will look great in the morning!

Posted

First snow shower has arrived here for me in Belfast. Fairly light atm smile.gif.

is it laying at all? hows the temps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Nothing here in Bangor yet, still dry and variable cloud coming in from the NorthEast. Chance of some wintry showers overnight, or (if we get lucky) a nice streamer developing. Nearest big risk will be tommorows shower band creeping down from the North, which hopefully arrives as night begins to fall.