Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

lets hope the net-weather snow risk forecast is right for the next few days, its 100% chance of snow right through, like thats going to happen. still raining here at the mo and not feeling to cold, so far.

Posted

Well the NE wind has started to set in here :rolleyes: , Netweather radar showing showers in

N.Yorks as sleet & snow, can anyone confirm this?

post-5042-12609835928249_thumb.png

I'm bang on where that pink area is, and it's falling as

rain here atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

rain here atm

Which proves that the precip type radar is not as accurate as people like to think it is. I always said that the precip type radar isn't really worth listening to, I have seen it say sleet here when it's snowing etc...

Posted

I'd imagine that radar is just a sort of forecasting tool where the conditions at that location are ideal for rain/sleet/snow, but doesn't mean it is that precipitation type (yet)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Interested in any temps where the -5iso has or is digging in? namely the obvious eastern/coastal parts.

Still a constant 5°C here in the Sheffield `burbs :whistling:

Posted

The prec type is a guide, since local conditions can vary hugely it's never going to be accurate to street level where when it comes to borderline snow it could be raining in one place but snowing 1 minute up the road.

With that said, in all the testing and verification we've done with it, it's always been very close to the mark..

Posted

Interested in any temps where the -5iso has or is digging in? namely the obvious eastern/coastal parts.

Still a constant 5°C here in the Sheffield `burbs :whistling:

Been 5.3c here most of the afternoon, just starting to fall a little, now 4.2c. Wind switched from nnw to nne too.

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Another day of Nold and No. Dull, wet, cold by day above normal by night. End result temp close to average. It's about 0.1C below average today for example. Dreaded dew point shot up as well so chances of snow zippo unless the air changes at some point which it's supposed to do tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The prec type is a guide, since local conditions can vary hugely it's never going to be accurate to street level where when it comes to borderline snow it could be raining in one place but snowing 1 minute up the road.

With that said, in all the testing and verification we've done with it, it's always been very close to the mark..

I understand that Paul and it has been accurate on many occasions but it's also been inaccurate far too many times to take it as the truth. I know it's going to be as near accurate as it can be because of what the GFS predicts should be happening at that moment in time but there are some people on here who think that the precip type radar is 100% accurate.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Down to 3.8°C here now, drizzle atm, but fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Posted

rain here atm

Please could you compare the Net Weather radar with the Rain Today radar on the precipitation types, on Rain Today they now show what the precipitation is. Thanks.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Please could you compare the Net Weather radar with the Rain Today radar on the precipitation types, on Rain Today they now show what the precipitation is. Thanks.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Hello to all the Yorkshire snow watchers out there :)

Nice freebie link! Thanks 10123.

I suppose we will start to see the showers turning to snow by about midnight then, On higher ground at least... Any other thoughts on this?

Edited by ned

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Evening forecast not really that sparkling most of the snow in the south east light stuff elsewhere. So nothing much for us at the moment. Warmest part of the day right now. 4.7C and rising.

Posted

Hi, I think thu night/fri eastern areas of the region certainly are highest risk and will see the most snow (especially linconshire) but saturday onwards that should swap round I would expect western parts to be highest risk.

On saturday evening/night a band of snow should move south across the region which I would expect to give a covering to all areas http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn844.png. Then after that mon/tue http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png Id expect showers and longer areas of snow to spread to western areas as the winds rapped around the low are from the west..

looks like paul hudson has seen my post as he just said everything in this post :rolleyes:

The south east may get all the snow tomorow but after that, thats there lot! Places like leeds n bradford, skipton, harrogate should do very well saturday night through to monday.

These showers in western areas sunday should be fairly heavy and convective, constantly feeding into pennine areas :diablo:

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

The south east may get all the snow tomorow but after that, thats there lot! Places like leeds n bradford, skipton, harrogate should do very well saturday night through to monday.

And Halifax <_<

Posted

Was just/ about to say the same about Halifax, looks like were too far west for anything tommorow. How much do you reckon we could get on Sunday?

Posted

Was just/ about to say the same about Halifax, looks like were too far west for anything tommorow. How much do you reckon we could get on Sunday?

Its too early to say really. As an educated guess through past experiences I would say 1-2 inches saturday night and a further 1-3 inches sunday. :air_kiss:

Afraid East Yorkshire and North Yorkshire typically, will miss out tomorrow and over night.

With Lincs and EA getting the brunt.

We still have friday/saturday to look forward to..

I reckon snow showers will still be quite frequent though. Ye might still get 2/3cm which is something.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Cheers Jed, i reckon that would be enough to make a little snowman with my daughter, fingers crossed anyway. smile.gif

Posted

Its too early to say really. As an educated guess through past experiences I would say 1-2 inches saturday night and a further 1-3 inches sunday. :air_kiss:

I reckon snow showers will still be quite frequent though. Ye might still get 2/3cm which is something.

They will be snow showers about, but nothing prolonged enough to give accumulations accept for higher ground, the ground is just water logged with standing water here.

Unless it freeze's which i cannot see happening, then we may see some accumulations.

Lewis

Posted

I still think people are taking to much notice of the precipitation charts. EA, South East looks to do best on Thursday into Friday however i still feel we will see at least a covering over much of our region by friday evening. Just keep an eye on the radar!

Posted

I still think people are taking to much notice of the precipitation charts. EA, South East looks to do best on Thursday into Friday however i still feel we will see at least a covering over much of our region by friday evening. Just keep an eye on the radar!

Thats it, apart from your main areas it just comes down to nowcasting. No one can predict exactly where showers will or wont be, its only a rough guideline.