Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Eastern N England,

East to me is Lincs and east mids area and then you put East Anglia, SE england.

Your warning would be top notch if u added more detail, for example;

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire along with Kent, and areas around the Wash, will see more in the way of snow.

Put your neck out, models show it, so does the meto smile.gif

Then your warning would be perfect.

trouble with you Lewis you don't read; east of high ground includes the areas; read it and stop being so clever

Posted

Risk of disruption Warning Valid

Yorkshire & Humber: E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

York

Heavy Snow Thu 17 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting eastern parts of England. Rain showers will turn increasingly to snow, especially during the late afternoon and evening. Accumulations of up to 5cm are likely with perhaps 10cm over hills.

Issued at: 1015 Wed 16 Dec

Great, mentions everywhere but west yorkshire :( hopefully we will be added nearer to the time.

Posted

Risk of disruption Warning Valid

Yorkshire & Humber: E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

York

Heavy Snow Thu 17 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting eastern parts of England. Rain showers will turn increasingly to snow, especially during the late afternoon and evening. Accumulations of up to 5cm are likely with perhaps 10cm over hills.

Issued at: 1015 Wed 16 Dec

Great, mentions everywhere but west yorkshire :( hopefully we will be added nearer to the time.

Given that there's a window of 30-35mph winds, i think one or two showers will make it across :)

Posted

Ye I would certainly hope so :) , just would be nice to be added to the warnings.

Patience Grashopper! As the winds swing N/NW and the low pulls down from the North on Saturday then most will see a good dusting.

Convective showers coming in of the N.Sea tomorrow are almost a nowcast situation, whilst the models will have some idea of general shower pattern and the areas, someone will get a good few cm's along the east half Yorks/Lincs yet just a few miles away nothing.

Posted

Huddersfield town centre to Manchester Airport at 0400 on Sunday morning......!!!!!!!!!

According to all the forecasts on here looks quite bad....BBC web-site & Met office site all have moderate snow...any thoughts anyone?

I live in Huddersfield town centre...(83m ASL)...what are peoples thoughts on sonw here from Thursday onwards? West Yorkshire does not seem to have been mentioned much although we do come under John Holmes 'east of high ground'...!

Usually this part of Yorkshire does well for snow...a real change that its the East that seems better at the mo!

Edited by Lourson

Posted

Patience Grashopper! As the winds swing N/NW and the low pulls down from the North on Saturday then most will see a good dusting.

Convective showers coming in of the N.Sea tomorrow are almost a nowcast situation, whilst the models will have some idea of general shower pattern and the areas, someone will get a good few cm's along the east half Yorks/Lincs yet just a few miles away nothing.

Ye, like you say we wont really know the specifics untill its actually happening. Im sure everyone will get a shower or two but I think itl be the east and linconshire who really get hammered thursday night as a persistant area of snow moves in off the north sea, before heading down into the midlands. :good:

Posted

Are we likely to get much snow in Chesterfield NE Derbyshire Thursday or over the weekend?. We always seem to have our own little micro climate here.

I need to learn more about meteorology so I know what you guys are talking about :-)

Posted

please may someone tell me when the forecast says inland, what distance does that tend to be away from the coast, im in spalding sth lincs and hoping we are in the right place for a bit of snow.

Posted

Huddersfield town centre to Manchester Airport at 0400 on Sunday morning......!!!!!!!!!

According to all the forecasts on here looks quite bad....BBC web-site & Met office site all have moderate snow...any thoughts anyone?

I live in Huddersfield town centre...(83m ASL)...what are peoples thoughts on sonw here from Thursday onwards? West Yorkshire does not seem to have been mentioned much although we do come under John Holmes 'east of high ground'...!

Usually this part of Yorkshire does well for snow...a real change that its the East that seems better at the mo!

Hi, I think thu night/fri eastern areas of the region certainly are highest risk and will see the most snow (especially linconshire) but saturday onwards that should swap round I would expect western parts to be highest risk.

On saturday evening/night a band of snow should move south across the region which I would expect to give a covering to all areas http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn844.png. Then after that mon/tue http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png Id expect showers and longer areas of snow to spread to western areas as the winds rapped around the low are from the west..

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Anyone any thoughts on why the BBC weather forecasts are currently showing no snow over Yorkshire for tomorrow, despite all the charts/warnings suggesting otherwise?

Posted

Hi, I think thu night/fri eastern areas of the region certainly are highest risk and will see the most snow (especially linconshire) but saturday onwards that should swap round I would expect western parts to be highest risk.

On saturday evening/night a band of snow should move south across the region which I would expect to give a covering to all areas http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn844.png. Then after that mon/tue http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1261.png Id expect showers and longer areas of snow to spread to western areas as the winds rapped around the low are from the west..

Thanks jed....should be an interesting drive(!) M62 may be down to 1 lane on the tops....!

Posted

Thanks jed....should be an interesting drive(!) M62 may be down to 1 lane on the tops....!

ye certainly could be :)

please may someone tell me when the forecast says inland, what distance does that tend to be away from the coast, im in spalding sth lincs and hoping we are in the right place for a bit of snow.

When they say eastern areas its usually areas east of the A1, places like york/doncaster eastwards.

The whole of linconshire should get snow tommorow evening.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

The colder uppers start coming in late evening around 9pm.

post-5042-12609651734785_thumb.png

The showers really get going around thurs morning according to the Hi-Res NMM Model, with the latest model run going for an area from East Riding to the Wash to get a decent chance of snowfall, the showers peak in the early/mid afternoon, but tomorrow mornings NMM update may shift this risk slightly further north or slightly further south.

post-5042-12609656114305_thumb.png

Posted

The colder uppers start coming in late evening around 9pm.

post-5042-12609651734785_thumb.png

The showers really get going around thurs morning according to the Hi-Res NMM Model, with the latest model run going for an area from East Riding to the Wash to get a decent chance of snowfall, the showers peak in the early/mid afternoon, but tomorrow mornings NMM update may shift this risk slightly further north or slightly further south.

post-5042-12609656114305_thumb.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn241.png

i think it all depends on the track of that low pressure over holland, if it comes further north than currently expected, the main area of snow will also be further north ..

Posted

Just as i feared it looks like a non event for north lincs acccording to the bbc forecast, with the snow much further south just above the wash tomorrow afternoon,with hardly any showers for yorks,lincs :wallbash:

Edited by sufc

Posted

Just as i feared it looks like a non event for north lincs acccording to my local forecast, with the snow much further south just above the wash tomorrow afternoon,with hardly any showers for yorks,lincs :wallbash:

With the threat of more general snow up this way over the weekend :) Sit tight - we'll all get some of the white stuff :D

Posted

With the threat of more general snow up this way over the weekend :lol: Sit tight - we'll all get some of the white stuff :lol:

Ive just been looking through the gfs ensembles, and a lot of them bring the ppn further north and west tomorrow afternoon,although i'll check again after the 12z to see if more ensembles take it further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm waiting till the 18z. Should be interesting.....

Oh, i've put my ASL in the info box

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Posted

Just as i feared it looks like a non event for north lincs acccording to the bbc forecast, with the snow much further south just above the wash tomorrow afternoon,with hardly any showers for yorks,lincs :lol:

I'd be very cautious of that local forecast if I were you

the North sea looks very buisy indeed and notice the westward movement of the showers out to sea now!!!!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

I'd be very cautious of that local forecast if I were you

the North sea looks very buisy indeed and notice the westward movement of the showers out to sea now!!!!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yep, looks like plenty more rain for today yet :lol: I really hope that forecast was wrong, but i'll be surprised if the ppn get moved 150 mile further north this evening or in the morning.

Posted

Yep, looks like plenty more rain for today yet :good: I really hope that forecast was wrong, but i'll be surprised if the ppn get moved 150 mile further north this evening or in the morning.

Then consider this, Here in barnsley I'm 113 miles from the coast and in the last 48 hours we've had 17mm of rain here dispite paul hudson constantly saying patchy light rain and dreary drizzle!

And the current ppn doesn't need to move 150 miles north, It's aligned with us currently.

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Could there be Lake Effect Snow generated by the North Sea in this Easterly?

Posted

rain rain and more rain, oh when will it end.not getting my hopes up for any snow in these parts, the look north forecast at lunchtime had yes you guessed it rain over us for tomorrow.