Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Another near miss here in the Newcastle area. This area used to be good for snow, but recent years it all seems to be heading south. They get the warm summers to :)

Nothing will come of tonight, but there is a small chance of a few more flakes on saturday.

I wouldn't rule out tonight yet, there's plenty of activity in the North Sea and some of it is on course to hit our area. I think you'll get at least a couple of heavy showers and a covering of snow this evening.

Posted

I wouldn't rule out tonight yet, there's plenty of activity in the North Sea and some of it is on course to hit our area. I think you'll get at least a couple of heavy showers and a covering of snow this evening.

Yeah,it would take some doing to miss all of them.:lol:

Posted

The NW radar can be a little mis leading though as you think those bright echos represent pokey showers but if you look at the Met Office radar, the showers are not as potant.

I still would not rule out the odd heavy shower or 2 but i think short light snow showers is what we will mostly have and we just had one here but nothing to get excited about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

So Snow on and off tonight and more snow tommorrow which is set in stone. :lol:

Then saturday a few sites are predicting sleet but i thought it would be snow can anyone shed any light on this.

Sunday dry.

Monday heavy snow. :D

Then afterthat it is all up in the air.

Monday is also a bit up in the air, things are currently looking good but it would take that much to shift that area of snow. It seems to me like the kind of event which dumps 3-6 inches to low levels and 8-12 inches on high ground.

On Saturday afternoon / evening when the cold front moves south I think it will be mostly snow, at the worst front edge sleet. I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2-3 inches widely.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Monday is also a bit up in the air, things are currently looking good but it would take that much to shift that area of snow. It seems to me like the kind of event which dumps 3-6 inches to low levels and 8-12 inches on high ground.

On Saturday afternoon / evening when the cold front moves south I think it will be mostly snow, at the worst front edge sleet. I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2-3 inches widely.

so i should tell everyone tommorrow at school about itand what time is front going to come in and leave? :blink:

Posted

so i should tell everyone tommorrow at school about itand what time is front going to come in and leave? :D

I suppose you could tell them that snow is likely during Saturday afternoon / evening with a further covering of snow (depth still uncertain, I fancy the idea of 2-3 inches), but I wouldn't tell them about Monday, too much can go wrong. Risk it if you want but you may end up with an egg on your face about Monday.

BTW you drink a lot don't you snowstorm :blink:

(the emoticons)

Edited by alza

Posted

I suppose you could tell them that snow is likely during Saturday afternoon / evening with a further covering of snow (depth still uncertain, I fancy the idea of 2-3 inches), but I wouldn't tell them about Monday, too much can go wrong. Risk it if you want but you may end up with an egg on your face about Monday.

BTW you drink a lot don't you snowstorm :blink:

(the emoticons)

Lmao i will metion about tommorrow that snow is likely and around 2inches is the most likely scenior and ill leave a hint about monday :)

and snowing again! :D

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Lmao i will metion about tommorrow that snow is likely and around 2inches is the most likely scenior and ill leave a hint about monday :D

OK that's fair enough, not giving the impression that you're certain but that you think so :good:

Edited by alza

Posted

I have to say, there was a shower to my east but as it came here, very little or nothing has falling out of it, i look at XCweather and see that the dewpoint is somehow -7 in Newcastle. Is the air to dry for PPN to fall at ground level? Surely not!

Posted

I have to say, there was a shower to my east but as it came here, very little or nothing has falling out of it, i look at XCweather and see that the dewpoint is somehow -7 in Newcastle. Is the air to dry for PPN to fall at ground level? Surely not!

I doubt it! I expect some moderate snow showers in the next few hours before they clear away to leave 1-2cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Came back from Norwich to Cleadon today, there was a thin snow cover on the east coast railway line between Lincoln and just north of Durham, with the peak depth being at least 1 inch around Durham itself. It appears that most of the early evening showers were from Durham southwards, for as the train headed towards Newcastle there was a sudden change to a slight smattering of graupel despite similar distance from the coast.

There's been quite a few snow/graupel showers in Cleadon over the past hour, settling during the showers but then thawing during the clear intervals- temps oscillating between 1C in showers and 2C during clear intervals. I think that as the onshore winds ease tonight, temperatures should fall away and any snow showers should settle more easily.

Edit: We keep a NE wind through to lunchtime tomorrow according to the latest GFS run, so although shower activity will generally decline I think we will continue to see some showers come through from time to time until then.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Starting to snow again, maybe those snow showers will finally start up again. -0.7°C with icy roads and pavements, so anything that falls now will stick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

We've had a mixture of snow and graupel here over the last couple of hours, it's looking quite good and much more than I expected. 1-2cms at the most here for now.

post-4189-1261084757201.txt

Very light snow at the moment but the green spots are giving heavier precipitation at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Another heavy shower here at the moment, altho I'm not sure where from because there isn't too much showing on the radar.

I'll give an update later, I might go for a walk about now.

Edited by fozi999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

NORTH EAST NEWCASTLE

A few LIGHT to MODERATE hail / snow showers here, enough to put a good blanket down, but they are certainly not what I would call heavy. Heavy is when you can't see 100M and its putting approx 2 inches down in half an hour.

Posted

Wow blizzard conditions have reached Newcastle! 2.5cm and coming down thick and fast, about 1cm every 10 minutes! Drifting freely as it is powdery and started off as graupel. :) :)

Posted

Wow blizzard conditions have reached Newcastle! 2.5cm and coming down thick and fast, about 1cm every 10 minutes! Drifting freely as it is powdery and started off as graupel. :aggressive::whistling:

Yup, i can see that shower cloud to my NW but i think it will clear from you in the next 5 mins by the looks of it.

Hopefully they will be one or two more showers around here before the night is out.

BBC/Met is not really saying much regarding Saturday's potential, i'm not worried by that mild sector as winds are coming from land but it would be nice if the Met Office at least put an adversary out for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Thats an impressive area of snow heading in the Thames Valley, looks heavy, should put a dumping down. Back on topic...

Shower activity has picked up a little to the north of Newcastle now so there is still some hope for tonight. But the main band is still to the south. I bet there are many roads blocked by morning as its readily drifting even here at only 250ft ASL.

They are reporting THUNDERSNOW in Kent with a couple on inches down already...

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

Propper heavy snow falling now big white flaked :aggressive::whistling: