Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

where abouts in Newcastle? Im from Prudhoe and still raining! Temp is 4.7 but dropping fast!!!

North of the city centre

Posted

North of the city centre

Im at 4.2 now. Cant be far away. We need to get below 1.0 for light fluffy snow at the current dew point!!!!unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I don't think the first wave of -5s has reached here yet, maybe at higher altitudes. Its certainly reached E.Scotland as they are reporting temp drops of 4 degrees. This is totally backed up by the GFS, which indicates the cold won't arrive here till after midnight at least. Then the -10s won't get here till tomorrow lunch time and thats where the fun starts...

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted

3.3 and just had a light rain/drizzle shower in North Leeds ... clear now and expecting a slow decrease in temp before any more showers move in .... I dont really expect to see any flakes until mid afternoon tomorrow though !

3.3 and just had a light rain/drizzle shower in North Leeds ... clear now and expecting a slow decrease in temp before any more showers move in .... I dont really expect to see any flakes until mid afternoon tomorrow though !

Posted

I think the North of the region will be getting the cold air first, hence Newcastle being a degree colder than Teesside.

Here it is 4.6º, DP 4.0, so actually the temperature is dropping quite well now. It was 5º at 9.45.

Posted

Its lashing down with sleet and hail here temp dropped from 4.5 to 2.0. Radar is showing a heavy band which I think will fall as snow further inland above 500ft.

Posted

Is there an echo in here?

Posted

I think the North of the region will be getting the cold air first, hence Newcastle being a degree colder than Teesside.

Here it is 4.6º, DP 4.0, so actually the temperature is dropping quite well now. It was 5º at 9.45.

Only 1.5 with a dp of 1.0 up at tow law,similar values near consett.

Vaisala ICE :Traffic Weather

Posted

Only 1.5 with a dp of 1.0 up at tow law,similar values near consett.

Vaisala ICE :Traffic Weather

Its now 1.5 here and its trying very hard to snow

Posted

sleet/hail here in south gosforth.

temp 2.9 (dew point 1.8 ), fall from 5oC at 9pm

Edited by izi

Posted

lol osbourne, oh for being a teenager again in the 80s, everything was harder back then , even the easterlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the fall in temperature will necessarily be steady. On 3 January 2008, the temperature at Cleadon hovered around 3-4C until about 4am, then fell abruptly to 1.3 during a snow shower and then hung around between 1 and 2C. However temperatures do fluctuate rather more near the coast in this setup.

Posted

temp dropping quickly. Rollo, in 20 mins i bet its nearer 2.2 there :D it was 2.9 not 20 mins ago here, now 2.2

Edited by izi

Posted

I just noticed on the 5 minute radar snow being shown 100 or so miles off the North east of Scotland,I guess that colder temperatures are on the way if that is correct.