Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Had a few wet flurries at 6:30am but turned back to rain now. 1.9c out with a 1.0c dewpoint

Posted

Woke up to a dusting on grass and cars which has mostly melted now. Quite a few showers coming inland but about 10 miles north of us - it said on the radio that the A19 at Peterlee is slow due to snow cover.

Posted

Had some nice big flakes coming down around 7am this morning in Spennymoor, just minutes after heavy hail, which left a light dusting, at work now in Aycliffe and it's very fine snow/sleet which isn't making any impact, currently 1.9c based from:

http://newtonaycliffe.metsite.com/

I'm hoping some of our southern snow fans get some good pictures to share with us, and here's hoping we get something on Saturday, looking like we're missing out again *Shakes fist at snow clouds* :wacko:

Edited by kev2281

Posted

I think what people should be concentrating on around our area is developments in NE Scotland and see how the showers behave to the rise in pressure, whilst pressure does rise, we are still in a ne'ly airflow albeit not as strong or as unstable as further South. The GFS/UKMO might potentially underestimate PPN amounts around here and as TWS says, it has happened before.

Tonight will either be one of surprise or sheer frustration for us as it seems like all the beefy showers won't be all that far away as the Smoggies will be hogging all the showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

there's plenty here now for me.

Yep, I was late into work, traffic was moving about 10mph. Roads got bad really and it was very slippery.

Wasn't expecting this much so soon into the cold spell, looks like the BBC have underdone in ppn again for us.

Posted

Yep, I was late into work, traffic was moving about 10mph. Roads got bad really and it was very slippery.

Wasn't expecting this much so soon into the cold spell, looks like the BBC have underdone in ppn again for us.

aye it looks quite festive out there mark lol.

Posted

I left Ferryhill for Aycliffe this morning dressed in full winter gear because of what you've described, but it hasn't amounted to much really. A little snow/hail on grass, nowt on pavements or roads, and still pretty damp. Got some snow pellets this morning out of a couple of showers, but very short-lived.

HaHa :( Sorry for the disapointment neforum2, was not my intention to mislead, was best in Spennymoor when I got up, Aycliffe snow isn't amounting to much at all, I'm hoping Spennymoor is fairing a bit better, though if Ferryhill isn't doing too good I doubt it.

BBC has placed Saturday as V.light snow or rain and now moved the snow to Monday, so we could be in for a fair wait for any proper falls.

Fingers crossed we don't miss out :yahoo:

11:21am - very light snow again in Aycliffe, not resting

P.S. neforum2, nice website, like the pics

Edited by kev2281

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Woke up to a dusting on grass and cars which has mostly melted now. Quite a few showers coming inland but about 10 miles north of us - it said on the radio that the A19 at Peterlee is slow due to snow cover.

Everyone arrived at our office this morning wondering what the fuss was after hearing that on the radio. Not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere!

Edit: Just checked the radar and it looks like more decent showers will be packing in this afternoon.

Snowing lightly here atm (At work next to A19 at Peterlee).

Edited by fozi999

Posted

Everyone arrived at our office this morning wondering what the fuss was after hearing that on the radio. Not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere!

well I can tell you that it is snowing here only lightly though, the wind is strong so its blowing over quickly, though the cloud is building from the coast, so lets see what happens.